Chances for deferred at princeton...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Chances for deferred at princeton...
By Mrme (Mrme) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:24 am: Edit

i got deferred at princeton with the following stats

SAT 1 : 1530 (800V 730 M)
SAT 2 : 730 Writin, 670 lit, 660 Math 2C

GPA : 3.95/4.00, one B, one D in junior . class rank 6/172 year..rest were all A's
(b was in hindi, D was in math)
essays were decent..at least i thought so..so did most people who read them

after being deferred the following changes were made to my application

SAT 2 (jan admin) : 800 writing , 740 math 1C, 700 math 2c (hey..i really suck at math)

the skool discovered they'd made a mistake in my report card, and the D should actually have been an A..so they changed it and my math teacher sent a letter... my GPA is now 3.99 and rank 4/172

i sent them an essay saying what id been doing the last year... ( i graduated in may 2002)...

Ec's added...im currently writing a book..its in its 5th chapter... ive had two stories published in a textbook for kids in classes 6-8 which is being used in several skools across the country... and i was appointed an adjudicator at a national level college debate...other judges included (at a later stage of the competition however) several members of parliament, CEO of O&M (in india) etc.

i also sent htem a letter '8 reasons why princeton should accept me' .. very tongue in cheek and could just be construed as smart-ass-ish

do i have a realistic chance of having my deferral overturned..???
please help...
please help..oh..im an international student

By Londoner (Londoner) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:12 am: Edit

You say you're bad at math but then take both the 1c and the 2c SAT2??

I think you're in a good position. Hwvr, bear in mind that Princeton is a lottery and there are many many more who look exactly like you on paper. A friend of mine was deferred from princeton last year and was subsequently offered a place RD- he was nothing too special. What country are you from? And just out of curiosity, what were your 8 reasons?

Good luck :)

By Mrme (Mrme) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:02 pm: Edit

im from india...
i took both to show that i was willing to try and imporve math if need be.. also i didnt have enuff subjects...im not a science student...

dont particularly want to post the 8 reasons here... its asking for ridicule..if u give me ur email add ill mail them to u...

By Unmadindu (Unmadindu) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 11:30 am: Edit

Well, I too approached a sort of "tongue 'n cheek" approach - and here's an excerpt from my optional update ;-)
This will probably kill me :-(

I had stated in my list of computer related activities, that I had begun the Free Bangla Fonts project (www.nongnu.org/freebangfont) as the coordinator. Akaash was the first font of that project, but, within a month or so, a number of developers and beta testers joined the project, and now we have four distinct font sets with a total of nine font files – which is probably the highest for any Indian language. I have released the second version of Akaash, and it has around 650 glyphs (letters) in it. Even developers from the Devanagari team (Devanagari is the script for Hindi) is asking for advice from our project now. We have been listed at all the major font related sites on the Internet, and we have also been linked from the official Unicode site itself. Moreover, a number of people, who are considered to be among the best in font developers in the world have responded to my request and joined us as advisers. I can proudly say that the font development phase of our project is almost complete now, and at present, we are busy with the translation and input methods phase. People are considering the fonts for use in production environment, as there has been a number of people contacting me – asking for support (since this is definitely a somewhat “bleeding edge” technology). Since the font development phase is towards its completion, and since another phase of our project, the Bangla dictionary project is progressing fast, we may be able to see Bengali support in OpenOffice.org (www.openoffice.org) soon. The race for the first Bengali Office suite is with none other than Microsoft, who has signed a MOU with the state government on this, and I think that we will win the race by around a month (and remember – the font format we are using is a standard specified by Microsoft itself, along with some parts by Adobe).

I had also mentioned that I was working on the website for the local Linux Users' Group (www.ilug-cal.org). That too, has proved to be a great success. The site is getting linked from the front page of linux.com on an almost weekly basis, thanks to the steady flow of articles from the members in response to my request. One of the articles has even been featured in the Linux Today newsletter, and linked from linux.org. Four months ago, somebody in the Linux India mailing lists had described the Kolkata LUG as a dying group. Today, we are probably the second most active group in India (after Bangalore), thanks to the new members who joined us after the website was put up. Some of these new members are even threatening my position as the most active poster in the mailing list. Seeing this new enthusiasm, I had suggested that we go for a small stall at the Eastern India computer trade show - COMPASS. What I had in mind was a small to medium sized stall, where we could demonstrate GNU/Linux for the home user, or something like that. But, we were extremely lucky – and now, we have one of the largest stalls in the event along with around twenty out of the thirty six “talk slots”. We will be having more than twelve PCs for demonstration, and all sorts of topics – ranging from “GNU/Linux as a scientist's tool” to playing video CDs using GNU/Linux – will be demonstrated. I am demonstrating our work in Bengali at the LUG's stall, and I will also be giving two talks, each of one hour duration on the topic – Localization: Bangla Linux. I am also one of the “core volunteers” for this effort, and I am in charge of the website specially dedicated to this event (www.ilug-cal.org/compass/). (My “official” position is web master cum “jack of all trades”).

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Optional update huh? Isnt a part of it supposed to present your academic activities? Or is this the whole thing for your extracurricular activites? I was wondering 'coz what new could one possibly be doing in their academics, nothing changes in second semester.

By Unmadindu (Unmadindu) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

It is divided into three parts (academic, ecs, and an "Anything else").

I did not have much to report on the academic section, as we follow a different academic calendar in India, and right now, we are having our holidays. I explained that in the academic changes, and then went on to write these ;-)

By Mrme (Mrme) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

bump..
people ??

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page