Ivy Location Quotas

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Ivy Location Quotas
By Mikus (Mikus) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

They swear up and down they don't have location quotas-- but do they?

If they're trying to diversify their undergraduate makeup, wouldn't it make sense to try to balance it out just a little bit without making too drastic of changes?

What about an after-class effect? For instance, if the Class of 2006 accepted a much larger amount of students from a certain high school, might they be more hesitant to accept more from the same location if they could draw equally talented students from Wakipaki, Wyoming?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

I'm curious about that too. They say that they don't have regional biases, but at least 40% of their students are from New England and the Mid-Atlantic states, and only like 8% are from the Midwest. Maybe because the Ivies are on the East coast more East coast kids apply and so more are admitted. I don't know a lot of people here in Iowa that are shooting for the Ivies. Most of them are content with Iowa State or University of Iowa.

By Tim (Tim) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

There will often be a desire to attend schools nearer you. There's also flat out more people in the Northeast.

Tim

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page