How's this for a passionate EC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: How's this for a passionate EC?
By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

I keep reading about how you need to have a passion, not just ECs that are a laundry list. How about political involvement? I love politics, and I plan to major in Political Science. I wrote one of my essays about how much I love politics, detailing my involvement in it since middle school and how my enthusiasm convinced my cousin to vote for the first time.

So, does that seem passionate and unusual enough to get noticed by an Admissions Committee? It's not B.S., I really feel that way. But do 16,000 other seniors with great stats say the same thing on their applications?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

bump

By Mikus (Mikus) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Personally, I feel it's not what you like necessarily that makes you stick out. It's how you present it.

I can have an abnormal interest in doing diehard training for an olympic-bubble-gum-blowing-contest, but if I can't sell it-- then it would probably do me as much good as nil.

If you can sell it, if you can articulate it in a way that is unique and refreshing-- in my mind, that's what counts.

I mean, obviously there are exceptions, if you're an olympic medalist-- you don't really have to try to hard to make it look good and unique. But for the rest of us... creativity doesn't hurt ;)

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

bump

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:59 pm: Edit

I think that having such a devoted interest in a particular field is admirable. Colleges would love to see that you show such an interest in it. Whether or not it is unique is another question, though.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:49 pm: Edit

okay, not unique, but more involvement than they usually see--something that seems interesting

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Write & Publish a 400+ Novel. That shows commitment.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Haha...well, that's not something I'm particularly interested in.......unless it was titled "Memoirs of a Campaign Worker"

By Coles (Coles) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I have a lot of political science experience, and I am definitely interested in majoring in it. In my application I will try to stress my passions for political science and technology.

As far as political science, my experiences have been:
Worked as a Senate page for 2 months (9th grade)
Worked as an intern for the VA Senate Majority Leader during the session and logged 81 hours
Entered political hero essay contest (results pending)
Senator will write me college reccomendation

As far as technology goes:
Taught myself several programming languages
Manage a video web site, with clips that are updated weekly
Deep interest in video editing, have compiled several videos and entered one in a famous film festival
Edited several segments for a local public access television show

I have a 4.0 GPA and SATs around 1450, and I will have excellent recommendations from the Virginia Senate Majority Leader and a higher-up from the Library of Congress. If anyone has any suggestions of colleges with good political science that match my stats, please let me know.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page