California Boys State

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: California Boys State
By Callmecollege (Callmecollege) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Has anyone ever gone to this? I want to know as much as possible about this before I committ to it. Does anyone know how colleges view these kinds of activities? Also, how much does it cost and does one have to pay their own way there? thanx

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I went to Girls State in Iowa, and I was sponsored by the Legion Auxiliary. Boys are normally sponsored by the Legion and it shouldn't cost you anything unless there is a dress code (at GS there is) and if you want to buy stuff in a gift shop. I can't say how colleges look at it, and obviously every state runs their program differently, but I had a fantastic time at Girls State. It's great for perfecting speeches and running for office, it's like a leadership and government camp. I love politics and it was the perfect thing for me to do, I even won a scholarship. But it will ultimately come down to your interests and willingness to give up a week of your summer. BTW, at Boys State in Iowa, they do nothing but play sports most of the day.

By Callmecollege (Callmecollege) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

ha, thanks kalitiha. n e more info guys?

By Nymom (Nymom) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

My son did NY Boys State, which is a cross between Model Congress and marine boot camp. It was an interesting experience, to say the least. Generally, it is a big plus for college admissions, especially for the service academies; it you hunt around online, you will find a list of famous boys state alumni, and I think you'll find it's a very impressive group. As far as the actual experience, it differs greatly from state to state -- some states offer a more military experience than others. And, it is free; in NY the sponsoring post even gives each boy a bit of spending money!

By Proudtobemom (Proudtobemom) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Our son attended Boys' State in California last summer (2002) and loved it. He made great friends with guys from all over the state and enjoyed the experience. There seemed to be lots of time for fun as well as the government simulation element.

He's qualified for a number of scholarships so far that may have been influenced by his Boys' State participation (Elks Most Valuable Student, DAR Good Citizen, etc.) so I'm sure the program didn't hurt.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page