college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
Americans! Please help me! :)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Americans! Please help me! :)
By Londoner (Londoner) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:26 am: Edit

Hallo everyone! Would appreciate you taking a small fraction of your time to evaluate me. Thanks so much and don't hold back- BE BRUTAL!

London girl (Lebanese by birth) applying to HPY
*SAT 1s: 1440 (720m 720v)
*SAT 2s: 720 writing, 710 french, 690 math 2c
*A-levels: AAA prediction in Ancient History, Economics and Pure Mathematics
*Head Girl of my school
*Varsity field hockey (wrote to coach)- Middlesex Champion 2001, 2002.
*Varsity netball and tennis
*First Flute on Orchestra 4 yrs.
*Grade 8 (highest grade) flute
*Managing Director of Young Enterprise company that won regional award
*Model UN
*Volunteer at the Victoria and Albert Museum
*Duke of Edinburgh's Award- Silver and Gold (Gold is awarded by the Queen- can't wait to get it!)
* Running the London Marathon in April for Sight Savers International (aiming to raise £5000= $7500)
*V. good recs and good essay

A lot of this stuff may seem alien to any non-brits, and I know i sound like ive done it all just so i can squeeze it on my app but I genuinely enjoy EVERYTHING i do. Otherwise i wouldnt do them! I would appreciate your thoughts...

Cheers! :)

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:31 am: Edit

I think you have a great shot. Why not go for Oxford? Think about your stats, would they get you into Oxford? Because if you couldn't get into Oxford on those stats, you probably won't be able to get into HYP.

By Londoner (Londoner) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:17 am: Edit

I did apply for Oxford but did not get in because I was competing for one place with a guy whos father, mother, uncle and sister ALL went to the college we were both applying to (University College). The tutor actually personally phoned me up and apologized that they could not offer me a place and that i should have gotten in (bloody legacy crap).
But anyway, even if i had gotten into Ox- US unis look for different things don't they? My ECs mean jack in UK. I didnt even have the option to write half of them down on my app!
Thanks for your input Kalitha :)

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Ouch the Math 2c would hurt a little....
Otherwise it matters where u are applying... HYP would be a little tougher. but u can never tell with them... Otherwise i think ur pretty set..

Best of luck! - I amnt american tho :)

By Cookie (Cookie) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Do black people attend Oxford?

By Londoner (Londoner) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Yes. are you trying to imply something?

By Mrme (Mrme) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:56 am: Edit

cookie will now tell you how she should be accepted into oxford because of her 'great essay' ..however cookie be warned, brit colleges give no aid to foreigners (blame thatcher) and their tuition fees for foreigners is 5 times what is for nationals.

sorry..im in a nasty mood

By Londoner (Londoner) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:04 am: Edit

Mrme

There is a reason why uni is cheaper for brits. Uk gov subsidises Ox and cam with money that it gets from Uk taxpayers pocket. So, in effect it costs me just as much as it costs you to attend oxford.
I agree with you about the aid (not just for foreigners but for UK citizens as well). I blame New Labour (they abolished many scolarship schemes as well).

Let's not get into a debate about uni fees, cos there's A LOT i could say about the sickening amount of money flowing through the veins of the higher education establishments in the US.

By Mrme (Mrme) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:42 pm: Edit

no no... i wholly support that fees for foreigners should be much higher... its only right...

also im from neither the US or UK... !1 so so much for that !

By Creedthang (Creedthang) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:26 am: Edit

im indian and all i can say is u.s education rox!
cant beat it .
maybe oxford....but otherwise all other countries trail by a huge distance.................................

By Tonymon12 (Tonymon12) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:48 am: Edit

Hey Londoner is it true that since British colleges don't give out that many scholarships students ask celebrities to help pay for their tuition?

By Londoner (Londoner) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 08:04 am: Edit

I don't think so- or at least it is not the norm. British Unis are on average FAR cheaper than US and most students can get by on a Student Loan- the government does the rest.

By Shelinda (Shelinda) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I've never heard that thing about celebs paying for students... do you think they'll pay for my course??? By the way Londoner, what course were u applying for? I got into Pembroke for Chinese.

By Londoner (Londoner) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Congratulations! Chinese? cool. I applied for Ancient and Modern History at University College. A friend of mine applied to Queen's for Japanese (she's originally Pakistani). Are you going to Pembroke?

By Londoner (Londoner) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

can anyone else take a look at my stats?
Please?

By Shelinda (Shelinda) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

I dunno if I'll get the grades to go to Pembroke (AAA), but I really hope so. That's really unfair about the whole legacy thing... it should be scrapped. Access on merit alone!

By Incognito (Incognito) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Agreed. Screw legacy.

By Funky (Funky) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

Hey ur stats r pretty good!! except that Math..,
scores..,Anyway All the Best!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page