•What the HELl should I major in!?!?• (please advise me)





Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: •What the HELl should I major in!?!?• (please advise me)
By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

ok, I am very confused about what I should major in. I have sort of been good in what seem to be business-like situations. I speak well in front of people. I am interested in alot of the normal things (not sciences though). I am thinking about Business Admin., but it seems like a SOFT major. Is it an interesting major? Is psyc fun?

What are you guys planning on majoring. Share your major and school please!

By Microcephalic (Microcephalic) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 06:32 am: Edit

In your shoes, I would recommend an undeclared major.

Never, ever commit yourself to a major unless you're absolutely sure that you:

1.)LOVE that major; you'd be willing to commit to it for life. Many people commit themselves, and then regret it; don't back yourself into that corner.

2.)Understand exactly what the major requires. IE: courses, credit requirements, potential graduate schools, etc...
3.)Are willing to use this major to obtain your source of financial income. (This may not necessarily be true, but I'm guessing it is for you.)

If you cannot answer all three of these questions with relative ease, go undeclared. You need to find something that entices you on your own; other people really cannot and should not make that decision for you.

You mentioned an enjoyment of business. If that is so, take a variety of business courses as an undeclared (perhaps "introduction to law" or "basic entrepreneurship" -- courses in that area) to see if you fit in well in those fields. Regardless, do not fully commit yourself unless you're sure.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:56 am: Edit

There is a truism that should be taken to heart: 80% of entering college freshman really have no idea what they want to major in; the other 20% will change their minds at least twice in college. In other words, do not assume that it is necessary now to know what you are going to do with the rest of your life as most are in the same boat as you are (even when they try to claim otherwise). Staying undeclared the freshman year and even into the sophomore year of college is possible to do while you explore various areas while meeting the usual general education requirements of a college. In fact, a number of colleges even encourage you not to choose until after your freshman or sophomore year. Business Administration can be a good major (and not really soft) and psychology can be enjoyable (some end up liking it immensely and majoring in it, others will adhor the field by the time they complete thier introductory course in it). If you believe you might have interest, take an introductory course when you get to college as suggested above.


Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page