Chances at Ivies and More

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Chances at Ivies and More
By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

This is my first time posting, and I hope this works because I've already tried posting this, and it didn't work at all. So here we go again ...

I was hoping someone could tell me my chances at:

Harvard, Yale, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell, Georgetown SFS, UC Berkeley, UCLA, (I live in california in case that ups my chances at the uc's)

I'm a white male.
Private high school.
Rank: top 10% (cum laude society) - the only ranking my school does
GPA : 3.92 unweighted
SAT I's: 1520 combined (790 math, 730 verbal)
SAT II's: math IC 700, writing 740, French 800
AP's: English Lit - 5, French Lang - 5
National Merit semi-finalists
I have legacy at Cornell.
EC's:
- interned in a genetics lab for a summer
- volunteered in an academic enriching summer program for under-priviliged middle schoolers.
- 3 years varsity soccer
- 1 year varsity track
- 12 years of piano lessons (i sent tapes)
- 3 years lacrosse
- 2 theatrical productions
- big into visual arts - had my own show in february... (i sent slides)

that's really all i can think of that i put on my apps. those are the only schools i applied to... thanks a lot for helping me!!

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

oh - and also I am the only TA for the photography dept at school, and president of the french club... in case that helps. Thanks so much!

By Healthy_Body (Healthy_Body) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

looks good. Rank and test scores are in range and extra curriculars look good too, especially if the tapes and slides were good. maybe getting recruited by the art, music, or soccer program would help, but you look good for all the schools. the more competitive schools are kinda random so nobody knows just apply. good luck

By Incognito (Incognito) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

My friend got into Yale ED with the following stats:

**SAT: 1490 (I dont know the breakdown)
**SAT IIs: (he took 4 of them, and although I dont know the scores, I do know that his lowest score was a 690, and he did not get an 800 on any of them)
**GPA: 97 point something (we dont have this 1-4 grading system like most people...we just have percents in my school)
**AP exams: APUSH=5...AP Fr=5...AP Euro=4...AP Spanish=4
**PSAT: I'm not sure, but I do know that he was a semi-finalist
**Rank: 4/108 (and he takes challenging courses...most of them are APs or honors)
**white male
**ECs: The list would be EXTREMELY long. He has more ECs than practically anybody I've ever met. He is in just about anything except for sports.

So by looking at these stats, I'd say you have a good shot at Yale. His only major area that seems to be different are his ECs (which are just incredible)

Well, I hope this helps. Good luck

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Thanks guys - I have heard from certain extremely picky college counselors that I don't look "special" or "different" enough. How many white privately educated males have played piano for twelve years?... thousands. I don't know.

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 04:37 pm: Edit

bump???

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:02 pm: Edit

"This is my first time posting, and I hope this works because I've already tried posting this, and it didn't work at all"
what the hell does that supposed to mean. If you write your essays like that you won't get in anywhere

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Rubenizm, I wasn't asking you to critique my phrasing. I was hoping that you might give me a realistic idea of what schools I can get into. To be honest, I don't need someone online to make me feel crappy just because I didn't word my introductory sentence very well. I don't get it. Did you really not get what I meant? Was it that confusing for you? Or are you just trying to point out trivial errors for no reason?

So obnoxious.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Rubenizm -

Chill out! If you're here to correct others for senseless reasons, then I can only imagine how much time you have on your hands!...

By Olive_Oil (Olive_Oil) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Brownhopeful~ I know i asked you this on another forum, but what high school do you go to?

By Carriecarrie (Carriecarrie) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

I think you have a good shot at all of them... except Harvard, maybe... No offense, but you sort of look like everyone else on this site. It feels like everyone here is the same person with the same scores and everything.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Looks good, and counselors are retarded.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:20 pm: Edit

That's a good theory Carriecarrie... either that or there's a lot of lying out there. That was not directed at you personally Brownhopeful, but the issue was something I wanted to address.
Good luck... I honestly don't know how well you will do.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:21 pm: Edit

I can't imagine that even 30% of the people here are lying. After all, its anonymity here and no fame. By lying, all that one can get is comments conveying false high hopes. Who needs that on March 15?

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

I like your attitude..... but I would like to tell you a short story which may explain why people lie.
Just a fe days ago I went to an interview for a local scholarship given to studendents who have achieved highly in mathematics. The interviews were all 10 minutes long. As I was waiting outside, nervous, suitcase in hand, the nominee scheduled before me opened the door from inside and walked out. I never met him, didn't know who he was, didn't care. He looked at me, staight in the eye and said: "How well do you know Calculus 3?" The interview had nothing to do with calculus 3; he was trying to "psych. me out" so I would get nervous.

So many people are cruel and epsecially because it is the middle of march, just two and a half weeks before most decisions come out, there are so many people out there who will post false stats. just to make the rest of us seem tiny, feel hopless, and go crazy. I would like to believe that everyone has a 1500, everyone is an unrepresented minority, and that everyone is ranked 1st in a private high school in new york; but the fact is that so many of them are lying and that we would be naive to belive everything posted.

If I am wrong I appologize. And to those who truely have achieved such great acoomplishments I wish you all the best.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:58 am: Edit

bump

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

The story you mention, Cruelfate, is a one-on-one interaction (masterfully evil though!).

Over here, though, when there isn't anything in the near future that would be affected by some untrue remarks, and the liar doesnt even know who the "liee" is, he can't hope to do any significant harm.

See, for yourself, did the interview experience hurt you more or the many 1520s you see here. The 1520s here are shortlived and largely inoccuous.

By Neokepplar (Neokepplar) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 01:45 am: Edit

wow...you guys have such impressive numbers..

I got into Cornell EDP with the following profile:

Asian Male
Public magnet school in Los Angeles
GPA: 3.95 weighted
SATI - 1400 (720 M, 680 V)
SATII - MathIC 710, Biology 750, Writing 670
AP: Euro 3
chem 4
USHist 4
macEcon 4
micEcon 5
biology 5
calculus ab 5
: plus now taking AP Gov, AP calculus BC, AP english lit, AP physics B, French 3, and AP CompSci
EC's: Asian Club
California Student Federation
Los Angeles Boys and Girl's Club
MESA
Academic Decathlon
Science Bowl
Junior Youth Club
Garden Club
Awards:
AP Scholar with Distinction
Governor's Math and Science Award
GSE Math - high honors(top 6%)
GSE Econ - high honors(top 12%)

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:25 am: Edit

I would like to briefly touch on Cruelfate's discussion of lying...

I'm not lying.

And that's all I have to say.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page