Hi, I Know Little About My Chances, need help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Hi, I Know Little About My Chances, need help
By Hack5111 (Hack5111) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 12:58 am: Edit

Hello
I'm a Chinese male applying to Stanford EA and a few pretty competitive schools. I go to a school where its pretty taboo to discuss these things, so I have no idea what my chances are for anything. I do know that I like some schools for their reputations. Heres my states,

GPA: ~95 or 3.8?
SAT I: 1600
SATII: 740 Writing, 780 1c, 800 chinese, 770 US History, 740 Chem

Managing Editor of school newspaper
Editor-in-chief of School's Poltical Op/Ed
Magazine
Communications Chairman for Interact Club
Saturday Chinese Lessons
A few Writing Awards

If anyone would be so gracious as to rate my chances at the following schools.

1) Stanford EA
2) Columbia ED
3) Cornell
4) Northwestern
5) Duke
6) UChicago
7) Rice
8) Emory

By Letmein (Letmein) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

How many times did you take the SAT I and did that 1600 come in one sitting? Do you live in Cali?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

It looks pretty good......how many APs have you taken?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

Considering those fantastic grades, I'd say your chances are very good for all of those schools. However, your EC area is not fantastic. You have some good stuff, though. I'm not completely POSITIVE about standford and columbia, but you can get into the other schools.

---BTW, Hack5111, how did you prepare for the SAT I and do so well?....

By Bizman (Bizman) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:21 am: Edit

Isn't Stanford EA restricted? (Meaning you can't apply to another school ED) If so, you can't apply to both Stanford and Columbia early.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

Early Action is not binding, but Early Decision is. So, you can apply somewhere EA and also apply RD to other schools. But, if you get admitted, you need to withdraw your other applications.

By Nymom (Nymom) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

Assuming your GPA is unweighted, I think you are in at Columbia ED & Cornell. I don't have any experience with the other schools.

By Bizman (Bizman) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

I thought that Stanford and Yale have a restrictive Early Action policy, where students can only apply to those schools early. It is not binding, but it limits where else you can apply. I'm pretty sure that is the way it is. It is not like Harvard EA, where you can apply anywhere else you want to.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

Yale only has Early Decision, which is binding. I thought that Harvard was the only Ivy with non-binding Early Action.

By Bizman (Bizman) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:34 am: Edit

They are changing it next year, where stanford and yale (both of which were ED this year), will have 'restrictive' EA.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

Oh, cool. Thanks, I didn't know that.

By Hack5111 (Hack5111) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

The 1600 is from one sitting. I have 4 APs so far and plan to take another 3 during senior year. I also forgot to mention that I took college courses over the summer and i have 300 hrs of community service. I also go to A VERY competitive hs in NYC.

By Letmein (Letmein) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 02:02 am: Edit

May I ask what attempt the 1600 came in? Your first time taking, second, etc.? I ask because it could make a difference...

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 02:03 am: Edit

Why don't you learn to read? He answered that question in the post directly above yours.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page