My chance in MIT, Stanford, CMU, Berkeley, Caltech

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: My chance in MIT, Stanford, CMU, Berkeley, Caltech
By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 06:01 am: Edit

I'm international student and I want to know my chance in MIT, CMU, Stanford, Berkeley, and Caltech... I got admitted in UIUC and UMICH engineering.

I got 270 on TOEFL (app. 637 in paper-based) and SAT II : Math2C 800 Phy 790 Writing 670. It's a pity that my SAT I is only 1320 (M800/V520). I know it's not good but I've tried hard(.......)

For MIT, I choose the option for non-native English speaker (only TOEFL and SAT II are required).

My school's standard calculation for GPA is in 1-10 scale. My GPA is app. 8.50, and app. 9.07 for science and English only. I always get the qualification for Magna Cum Laude honor and once or twice for Summa Cum Laude (the highest honor).
However, getting above 8.50 (for Summa CumLaude) is extremely difficult and getting 9.00 or above for GPA is almost impossible here in my country. I rank the first in class of 40 (6 class in total and #2 of over 200).

I wrote essays about a value of life behind my short journey and about specific concern toward adaptation toward computer development in my high school. I think they were very good.

I got my first Cum Laude predicate in the 9th year. I was the winner of some Math compettitons in my provice, a competer in National Math Olympiad 2002, winners of some table tennis and volleyball high school competitions (also a main team member for both sports). I joined musical instrument activity (fanfare, holding clarinet). I'm also the head of division (3d animation div.) in our Computer Club, who also responsible to teach (a tutor) -- 2000-2003. This club stands as an independent club for "independent" computer learner (or maniac) and wins a lot of competitions.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance!

By Outdateboy (Outdateboy) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

Why SAT II Phy 790? not 800?

Otherwise looks above-average to MIT, Stanford and Caltech

You look good to Berekeley and CMU.

I am talking about your look in the international pool.

What country are you from? This matters because it determines what your CS Olympiad level is. Winers of national Olympiad doesn't mean you can win in another country(China, India etc.).

Do you need financial aid? It matters too.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

Umm.. our slightly outdated boy doesn't even know how to spell Berkeley correctly, then you (Dragonium) probably shouldn't listen to his Phy 790 comment. That's a great score!

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I'm from Indonesia... However I'm a bit confused seeing so many perfect scores reported here by many students happening to apply to the same college as I do...

any more suggestion/input?

By Supernova (Supernova) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

your scores look excellent. i'm no expert on admissions but you have done an excellent job on tests and grades and everything else. congratulations.

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 07:00 am: Edit

Does financial aid affect the decission? How it does? I mean, some schools indicate that this option will not bother the admission decission...

One more thing... How is/are your opinion(s) about my extracurricular? (it's only four though) I saw many students here in this forum get involved in "a lot of" activities (EC).

I'm just wondering.....

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:06 am: Edit

Drangonium, yes ur right, some schools do indicate that this does not affect admission. But out of the ones you indicated, only MIT is like that. At all the rest, you are at a slight disadvantage if you want Financial Aid, and at berkeley i do not kno if they give aid at all..

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

I didn't apply for any financial aids. I thought they would be complicated....

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 08:09 am: Edit

Hey... do you how long it will take the decission letters arrive to me (International sending)? If it's too long I'm affraid there won't be much time to reply before May 1 deadline... I'm glad we can see the decission from MIT,CMU,Berkeley on the web. How about Stanford and Caltech?

By Doctort (Doctort) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 10:13 am: Edit

when does MIT and CMU come out on the web? Beginning of April?

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

For MIT, they said it's March 21, a week after they send decission letter (March 14); but it's only for students residing outside the US.

CMU said we can review it three days after the decission letter has been mailed, starting March 15 to April 15.

That's all I know!

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 04:41 am: Edit

Hey, I got the "FAT LETTER" from CMU today and I'm now admitted!! GREAT!!!!!

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

And the bad news is I'm rejected by MIT. I'm not fortunate!

By Ibman (Ibman) on Monday, March 24, 2003 - 08:59 am: Edit

Hey dragonium...what school r u going to...JIS...or the petty British Intl School? u doin the IB?

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 03:19 am: Edit

nope, I'm not a foreign citizen here, so I'm not studying at JIS. And what's your school, Ibman??

and... I'm not doing any IB...

By Ibman (Ibman) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:14 am: Edit

I go to JIS...yeah I'm in the IB (which is unfortunate for my social life:( ...geez, your English is impeccable, anda bersekolah di Jakarta?

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 08:22 am: Edit

ya tentu saja!

By Ibman (Ibman) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 08:38 am: Edit

hehe...good luck, your stats sure are competitive enuf

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 10:02 am: Edit

Hey Dragonium, did you pay for express fedex delivery to CMU?

By Dragonium (Dragonium) on Thursday, March 27, 2003 - 06:37 am: Edit

Ow... sure. It made the letter arrive in 3 days... Did you use the service too? Anyway, they use DHL instead of FedEx

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page