Please Rate My Chances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Please Rate My Chances
By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

First of all, I moved after 10th grade and I suffer from clinical depression due to some family problems. The Texas grading scale messed up my GPA when they assigned arbitrary numbers for my letter grades, but that is a long story.

GPA: 3.7 (Texas Scale) 4.1 (Florida Scale) - Both weighted.

Program: International Baccalaureate Program (Pre-IB and IB all four years)

Verbal SAT: 670 (I am planning on taking the ACT next month. I will use that instead of the SAT)

Extras: Marching band (9th, 10th) - Not allowed to be in it during 11th due to move.
Concert band (9th, 10th, 11th)
French Club (10th)
Amnesty Intl (9th, and currently starting a chapter here in my new school)
Symphony: 10th

Awards, positions...etc.: Various music awards, first chair clarinet 10th grade. Selected for regional honors band 9th and 10th grades. Took private lessons and participated in the FSU summer music program. I was elected section leader for the 11th grade year but I had to move. :-( Historian of French Club. Founding president of my school's chapter of Amnesty International. 150 hours of community service.

Where I want to go: Wellesley, Colgate, Macalester, Mount Holyoke, Bryn Mawr, New College of Florida. (In order of preference.) I am also interested Vassar.

What do you think my chances are?

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

bump

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Also, what are my chances at Cornell - CALS?

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 05:42 pm: Edit

bump

By Mrme (Mrme) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:36 am: Edit

good chance at all of the above..i think new college of florida should be a safety... u have a great shot at colgate..u fall in the higher half of their stats..and if u take the ACT and up the score u probably have a 40% chance at cornell..

ull need good essays tho....

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Thanks, Mrme!

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 02:52 pm: Edit

I think Mount Holyoke should be a safety. I'm applying there now, and I definitely don't want to go after I get in. Their median test scores are so low, it's almost ridiculous.

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Okay, what's so "ridiculous" about a 1278 SAT average? Consider, when you make such an absurd comment, that about 85% of college-bound seniors are below that mark.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:03 pm: Edit

Okay, I wasn't trying to offend somebody. I'll rephrase. Because their median SAT score is 200 points below mine, I consider them too low to attend that college. The standards that I am looking for in my college are not met by Mt. Holyoke. However, Mount Holyoke is a great school, I'm sure. I'm just no longer interested in attending there. I merely pointed out to this person that she appears to be pursuing a rigorous academic schedule and so could get into much better schools.

And most of my peers are idiots, which would explain why their scores are so low. I'm not speaking about every high schooler in America, I'm speaking of the idiots with whom I am personally acquainted.

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

While I agree with Kalitiha that most kids our age are quite..."unmotivated", I think that Mount Holyoke is a good school and I do not think that selectivity is the only factor of a school's greatness. As you have noticed, I am not really looking for an ivy-league school or anything like that. I want to go to a small liberal arts school with a strong program in international relations. Wellesley and Colgate, my top two choices, have programs in peace studies. Macalester has a wonderful international studies program, Bryn Mawr has a lot of unusual departments that would allow me to create my own major in development studies. New College is my safety, and I suppose Mount Holyoke is, also. I like their 5-college intl. relations program and their critical social thought major. I also like that they are in a somewhat rural place. I would be happy to go there. I am so desperate to get out of the megametroplex that is Dallas/Fort Worth!

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Much more appropriate, Kalitiha. With a score in the 1500 range, you shouldn't have any reserves about shooting high. However, scores like that are probably not too uncommon at Mount Holyoke. I know someone with a 1560 SAT that chose to attend Texas A&M. All I'm suggesting is not to rule out a school because if its selectivity.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Actually, Kelly, you hit the nail on the head by mentioning the Five College Consortium. I applied to Mount Holyoke so that I would have access to it if I didn't get into Smith. I only have 2 Ivies on my list, and programs and location were definitely more important than prestige. Wellesley is my 3rd choice out of 10 colleges, so it's definitely up at the top of my list. I think it's great that you're doing your research so soon. Good luck.

I know a person with the about the same score and National Merit that went to Iowa State because of the free ride.

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

I think you will probably get into Smith. I might apply there, too, but they do not have a very wide selection of majors. I would love, love, love to go to Wellesley, but I doubt I will get in. The only ivy I might apply to is CALS, because they have a great international agriculture program along with third world development.

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Bump

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page