To the Upper Classmen, and College Bound...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: To the Upper Classmen, and College Bound...
By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

I'm a Freshman, and I'm really desperate to find out what you all did AS freshmen. I want to know what you did in your high school careers, which enabled you to be accepted into presitigious colleges.

I'm really sincere in wanting to know WHAT TO DO. I'm not just posting my stats for the hell of it. Please give me some positive input.

My Stats are below, if you want to take the time to read them.

Stats:

GPA: 4.0
SAT I: 1380
PSAT: 180
ACT: 25

ECs:

Fresh. Vars. Basketball
MultiCultural Club (Freshman Representative)
FCCLA
Key Club (Vice President)
SUN Club (Historian)
Mu Alpha Theta
French Club
S.A.D.D. Club
School Newspaper Staff Writer
Currently Writing a Novel
Red Cross High School Youth Council (Member)
Chinese Writing (Published a Chinese Article in the newspaper)
Piano (8 Years, able to play at concert level)
Drawing (PTSA state #1 in state for Pencil Drawing)

Volunteer:

Crop Walk. (Feed hungry children and stuff by wakling for eight miles)

Help local elementary school organize auction night for Children.

Road Clean-Up.(Adopt-a-road program)

Helped organize Christmas party for the disabled.

Did environmental presentation for Elementary and Middle School children.

Worked in Chinese New Year Salvation Army "Feed the Hungry Program".

Helped organize local elementary school carnival.

Helped organize teachers' breakfast at my school.

Currently tutoring a fifty-year old lady in mathematics. She needs math skills for GED. Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Helped clean up local park.

By Phantesi (Phantesi) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Azn Cowboy,
Your stats are decent-certainly most colleges will be begging you to come to their school. But for the Ivies and other more prestigious schools, you're going to want to up your SAT scores and keep active! Find out what it is that you love and work hard at it. Take challenging courses. Above all, have fun. And good luck!

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

How do you have time to do all of this? Don't you ever sleep? Your EC's, if all this year, are a full time job. Take the most challenging courses you can find, streamline your EC's if necessary to maintain your excellent gpa and start a scholarship fund for all of your classmates--because they're not going to have a chance against you if you can maintain all of this without getting sick or burned out. A standard 40 point a year gain on the SAT would put you at the 1500 level as a senior. You should be able to better that with a little prep. What are you taking for classes? Someone once told me that admissions looks particularly closely at sophomore year as indicative of your direction, capabilities, and motivation.

By Jumbo (Jumbo) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I wouldn't join so many clubs. Narrow your extra curriculars, you simply have too many. I stopped reading after the 8th line.

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

I'm taking:
AP Calculus BC

AP European History

PreAP Chem (I might double that up with AP Bio, but I haven't made a decision yet)

French II

Journalism (This is just my newspaper thing)

PreAP English II

And maybe Computer Science I, but I haven't decided if I want to take that class or play Basketball yet.

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Most Universities want to see less ECs with more time dedicated to each one rather than more ECs. They look for people who participate in activities they love and spend alot of time doing them.

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Yea, ok, you guys have given me really helpful, constructive criticism towards what I should do as far as ECs. But, really, I want to know what YOU all did. What ECs did you have, Wembleyfraggle7 or you Jumbo, that made you stand out from other Ivy League applicants?

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

i applied as atransfer so i have college and high school ecs...

h.s. ~
model u.n. - 4 years as France
french club - 4 years (1 as president)
s.a.d.d. - 4 years
drama club - 4 years
orchestra (flute) - 3 years (2 as 1st chair)
oddyssey of the mind - 2 years (honorable mention both times)

college ~
v.p. of phi theta kappa honor society
member of sigma kappa delta english honor society
student worker for counseling dept
senator in student govt
peer tutor and mentor
(all of the above for 1 year)

volunteer work/affiliations(h.s. and college) ~
habitat for humanity - 11 years
active member of the ACLU - 4 years
active member of peta - 3 years
summer school special ed teacher's aide - 1 year
member of Disabled American Veterans - 2 years

beleive me, you don't have to be superman (or woman) to go ivy. sure you have to have the stats to get you looked at originally, but after that they want to see people who they think will actually benefit from an ivy education...they love people tht they feel will go out and make a difference in the world once they graduate. Find 4-6 things you love to do...make sure some of them are big issues like sadd or habitat for humanity...and do them well and often :-)
you're off to a great start...stick to it!

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice and encouraging words. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page