Who will I be joining at Tulane???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Who will I be joining at Tulane???
By Crombie29 (Crombie29) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

I just got my acceptance to Tulane yesterday!! Who else will be joining me for the class of 2007? And is anyone else planning on majoring in business?

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Congrats!!! I was accepted back in December but I don't think I'll be going there ... if I do though i'll be majoring in business. :)

By Crombie29 (Crombie29) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Hey "bushingclover", if you don't go there, where do you plan on going?

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

My EA application was accepted in mid-December and plan on attending the school I was accepted in, the school of engineering, to major in biomedical engineering.

The one thing that iced my decision to attend Tulane was their decision to let me keep my acceptance and graduate high school early since I had to move due to unemployment in my family (graduated a half year early). Right now to fill time, I'm volunteering at the Georgetown School of Medicine working at the National Biomedical Research Foundation developing applications for an upcoming database release(UNI-PROT). Also, it's New Orleans, and when it's mid-February, you can chill for a whole week (instead of spring vacation, Tulane students get a mardi-gras vacation).

Crombie29, which dorm are you hoping for? I noticed on the housing application that you can't select the hall you want, it is chosen for you. See you there, and best of luck to you!

By Crombie29 (Crombie29) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

kenowhere, my first choice dorms would probably be Willow Residence, and my second choice would be the more social residence halls: Monroe and Sharp. What about you? Also, how did you get accepted to engineering, I thought it was like the business school where you have to apply after your sophomore year.

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

The first line of my acceptance letter states: "On behalf of the faculty, staff, and administration, I am pleased to offer you admission to the School of Engineering of Tulane University." The business school must be the only school there that accepts students after the freshman year (probably because of the high volume of quality students pursuing business as a major).

On dorms, I'm definitely going with one of the more social dorms. Since Monroe is supposed to be old and falling apart, I'm hoping for a room at Sharp Hall.

BTW Crombie29, have you visited Tulane's campus yet? I haven't yet, and would be interested to see what another person thought about the campus.

By Crombie29 (Crombie29) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 09:34 pm: Edit

I haven't visited the campus yet, but I know someone who has and she loved it. I am hoping to go sometime soon, and everyone I have talked to says that they love the campus. What are your stats by the way?

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

1240 SAT (taken on the day of prom)
- 640 verbal
- 600 math
5.1/6.0 GPA
AP US History - 3
AP US Gov./Politics - 3
AP US English - 3
AP Biology (this year)
AP Calculus (Calc 1 + Calc 2 at Georgetown now, moved half-way through AP Calc.)

-Lead Jazz Trumpet Player
-Recombinant DNA Researcher
-Employee (was volunteer, getting paid now) at Georgetown School of Medicine doing bioinformatics/web development programming.
-Certified in Java 2, Javascript, DHTML. Know and have used Java 2, Javascript, HTML, DHTML, Javascript, PHP & MySQL, and Perl on the job.
-Tennis Team (for two years, more of a hobby)

All in all, no where near as impressive as some of the stats I have seen on this board academically.

Crombie29, what are your stats(if you want to disclose them, if you don't, you don't have to do so)?

By Crombie29 (Crombie29) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 08:04 pm: Edit

1410 SAT, (710M, 700V)

-3.3 unweighted GPA, 4.7 weighted
-3 AP's, I am taking all this year so I don't know my scores: AP calc AB, AP psych, AP literature.
-President and founder of investment banking interest club
-VP of future business leaders of america
-Treasurer of spanish honor society
-member of NHS, student gov, and class council
-216 volunteer hours
-varsity football team (ranked #2 in the state)

I think that's about it. Are you rooming with a friend, or are you gonna get a random roomate? And is it just me or are you looking forward to all the fine ass southern girls at Tulane??

By Quarky (Quarky) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Umm.. well, I have been accepted to Tulane EA, but I don't think my family's financial situation will allow me to go there. I got the 18000 distinguished scholars award and a 6200 need-based scholarships, but that still leaves about 15000 and I don't wanna spend the rest of my life paying off loans... The only reason I don't think I will go to Tulane is that I did not get the deans' honor scholarship after all the time and work i spent on it!!!!! This sucks.

well, wherever I go, it will be electrical engineering. briefly, my stats are

4.11 GPA, 7 AP's.
800M 550V
34 composite, 31 eng, 36 math, 34 read, 34 sci... also had a 34 eng earlier, but that was a 32 composite ACT.
800 iic, 650 chem, 630 bio-e, 720 phys, 730 wri..

english = 2nd language. russian = 1st.

some local, state, and national awards in math/sci.. got this prestigious ExploraVision award going... won some digital cameras, laptop, and other stuff... now competing for 1st and 2nd places with 5 other winners... 1st place get 10000 and DC trip... 2nd place get 5000 and a trip to DC. Good times...
i'm also doing some research at school, i have completely organized several science events... i wrote calc programs for TI-89.. one was once ranked 5th out of more than 20,000 in ticalc.org's archive... other stuff, too, but this is the basic info/stats...

i dont really know where i will go now because all fin aid awards i get are no good for my family's earnings... and i actually get the top awards from most schools, so even with all those presidential scholarships and all that jazz, i cannot afford the schools :(

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 09:07 pm: Edit

I figure somehow I'll end up with a roommate randomly from the somewhat vague questions composed on the dorm registration sheet. And yes, I'm looking forward to the southern gals (you should see the ones at Georgetown). But seriously, Tulane has great resources and is located in the perfect location (where else can you party in February?). I'm hoping to do lab research for the federal work-study program (figure I'll advance my resume without wasting 10 hours a week). If that doesn't work, I'll get something at a research center or off campus.

Are you joining the team down at Tulane? I saw the bowl game where Tulane womped the favorite, Hawaii(DOMINATED, even though the score didn't show it). I figure that next year will be the best year for the quarterback there (I think he's supposed to be third in the country).

By Incognito (Incognito) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Quarky...
I'm in a similar situation (although I am certainly not as urgent to get to college). I am not going to school next year. There are several reasons, but one is because of my family's finances. I plan on getting a job. If you really need the money, then maybe you can get a job over the summer, or if worse comes to worse, you can work next year and save up for school. Just a suggestion.

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Quarky, that's awesome! If you end up in DC I can give you a tour of the Georgetown School of Medicine (even though you are EE, you may have interest in biophysics). The lead professor of physiology & biophysics here invented the full body cat-scan (Dr. Ledley), so there are plenty of EE applications to medicine.

Here's a thought: you seem to be excellent in algorithm development. Why not do research with a local professor (if in America) in an engineering/science field. I have some source code (C saved in a C++ file, many scientists don't want to transition to object oriented programming) of a biophysics program from Dr. Olga Tcherkasskaya from Georgetown and would be interested in working with you on this program (since you seem to have a strong math background, and since I have a strong programming background, we could add biophysical constraints with a Monte Carlo algorithm (for randomization) and see what kind of proteins we can generate). The program generate random tertiary structures of hypothetical proteins in a sphere or an ellipsoid. From there, I was hoping to build an Oracle 9i database based at Georgetown Med Center and run the homology reporting (comparing the hypothetical proteins to real proteins) and see what interesting things could be generated. If there is enough of a conformation match at an active site that shows an interesting function, we could try to synthesize it. We could start working on it, and we could potentially see what we could get out of it from Georgetown. Let me know what you think about this.

Hang in there, you may get scholarship enough to go. Apply for an internship or two and try to save enough so that you don't have $15,000 in loans. I know that Tulane has a strong department in engineering (contrary to belief, it's small and more hands on teaching I hear) and that you could easily land an internship during the summer seasons to pay off further debt and gain invaluable experience.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Incog,
Yeah, good times. I thought about spending one more year in high school to get a bunch of credits and AP's... especially since I am the youngest senior at 17 (turned 17 on Dec 13 02). But I will just go for college...

Keno,
Well, I don't even know how long that D.C. trip is for the contest's winners, but who knows... with 5 other opponents and first 2 places going to D.C., we have a 1/3 chance of getting it. We'll try our hardest, but I don't know how good the others are, so... wish us good luck.

Actually, I used to hate biology... Mostly because it involves little to no math in high school. However, your project sounds interesting, plus proteins are related to chemistry (so.. i would say biochemistry, right?), which is something that I do enjoy. Keep in mind, however, that I am only a high school student, so I have no clue what some of the things you just mentioned are. I have some idea of different structures.. like primary, secondary, tertiary, quarternary...then there are those mortal coils or something... Active site? I learned about active sites located on enzymes (nearly all of which are proteins) -- they are the areas on enzymes' surfaces where the substrate(s) is/are attached and broken down into other compounds.. Am I close? I am not good at programming, except for simple things like HTML, a little bit of JavaScript, and BASIC for TI calculators. It's cool that the source code you are using was taken from a Russian woman :) Yeah, I get to put up with a Russian woman every day -- my mother.

As far as internships/research... I don't have time for research with local professors... in addition, I don't think those professors have any time or care. There's one guy who would do anything for me -- he is my former organic chem teacher and is a truly amazing person... just to give u an idea, he teaches HS and college, is a student at that college (graduate stuff), owns a jewelry store, owns some book place, has his own plane, has been the person in charge of reducing waste from a local sugar factory... umm he also has a bunch of patents and all that jazz.. I could spend hours talking about him, so I will just stop here. Yeah, i could do some research with him, but I am overwhelmed with scholarship apps, competitions, EC's, and other stuff. I don't wanna be busy 24/7, you know. Plus, I have my own research on sonoluminescence going on. Check out my research paper http://quarky.topcities.com/sbsl.pdf and the winning ExploraVision paper (which does not include several graphics that we submitted with the application) at http://quarky.topcities.com/ev.pdf.

Internships??? I am in Idaho, I don;t think this state has any good internships.. it's rather retarted, you know. I will just stick with my fast food job.

Anyway, feel free to e-mail me at quarkygluon@hotmail.com, but make sure u post a message here as well, to let me know u sent an email. I almost enver check that email, so u need to let me know. I will then give u my primary email address (dont want any junk from those who read this post).

Take care,
Dmitriy

By Quarky (Quarky) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

BTW, do u know Evan Yankey from Gtown? He's a freshman, who graduated 2nd in his class from my school last year. He also got 1600 on his SAT (took it only once).

By Crombie29 (Crombie29) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Hey, if anyone is going to Tulane this fall, instant message me at Crombie29 with AIM. I wanna talk to anyone going because I don't know anyone who is going.

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Quarky, how uncertain are you about your attendance at Tulane University? Have you applied for financial aid yet? If you decide to attend Tulane University, I would be more than happy to invite you to occupy the second spot in my dorm (you seem to have a lot of the physics interest I have). If you decide to attend Tulane and proceed with actual experimentation on the topic of sonoluminescence, I'm sure you would find a professor interested in sponsoring your research for pay.

Your research on sonoluminescence is quite impressive. Do you have any short term goals on proving any of the claims you have about your cube reactor? I believe you have a very promising career in physics or electrical engineering if you keep going on this path.

By the way, if you are interested I can email you the source code of the C program I am working on at the Georgetown School of Medicine. Just recently, I was able to recruit another structural biologist (PhD) to joining my research in addition to the Russian professor I already have helping me (she's very nice).

I wish you the best of in the future. I hope you are able to attend Tulane University.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

Kenowhere,
I'm sorry, I didn't read your earlier posts and thought you were a student at GTown. I see you're a high school senior, huh? So you will be definitely going to Tulane next year?

About my SL research... I am not going to continue it in college because the global interest in SL is dying. Scientists who once spent 24/7 experimenting with SL don't give a sh1t about it now. It seems that after they learned a little more about the phenomenon, they realized that there isn't much going on... In fact, nuclear fusion during SL is highly unlikely. It was simply a very good idea for the contest... the contest asked to design some possible future technology. it doesn't have to be realistic, but this SL stuff is actually closer to reality than past years' winning entries.. they had really weird sh1t that i dont even wanna talk about. This SL nuclear fusion stuff is unlikely, but hey, look at this:

the guy who discovered single-bubble sonoluminescence, Felipe Gaitan, is currently a chief scientist at Impulse Industries, a company that is trying to build a nuclear fusion SL apparatus.. So even the discoverer of SBSL believes that nuclear fusion is possible.. In addition, some two scientists reported some tritium in SL reactions... tritium is a radioactive, heavy isotope of hydrogen, which is produced when Deuterium-Deuterium (another isotope of H) fusion occurs. So they concluded that nuclear fusion was indeed occurring. But of course, regardless of whether or not their observations were true, the rest of SL researchers simply rejected this idea and made the two scientists and the magainze where the article was published look really bad.

Tulane is still a possibility. Yeah, I did all the fin aid stuff... Tulane is giving me a total of 24,200 bucks in scholarship money. This leaves me with about 15000.. which is not a good deal for my family. Illinois Inst of Tech, for example, is giving me a full-tuition scholarship, leaving me with 10000... in addition, i might get their Ukrainian scholarship, which could reduce the cost to 8000...

I am actually really pissed that I didn't get the Deans' Honor Scholarship. I worked hard, did two recommendations instead of one, wrote two admissions essays instead of one, submitted that quarky.topcities.com/sbsl.pdf research paper... If Tulane doesnt want me that bad, then why should I want Tulane? I want a school that is interested in me! If Tulane doesnt give a sh1t about me, then I will just let it go and find some other place... Another thing that pissed me off is that it took them forever to tell me that I didnt get DHS. For some reason, they didnt mail my decision letter, so I had to call them and ask them to do that... they wouldnt tell me YES or NO neither via the phone nor via the e-mail... stupid

anyway, EMAIL ME AT quarkygluon@hotmail.com

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

hey to Dima, Crombie29, and to all the... other guys(?) here.
I got in as well, international student from Serbia. Tho attending Tulane only depends on their financial letter, which I'm now expecting... Anyway, my stats were 1400 SAT (m760, v640), good essay, a number of EC's- "well rounded student" some would say, and a very good portfolio, at least to my modest opinion :) (I got into the School of Architecture)...

I can see you've already discussed the residence halls... It's really stupid that they don't even allow you to list yor (top) choices... Now we're all supposed to just wonder where we'll live for the next couple of years? They could've at least given the option of a priority or favourites list... For example, I would LOVE living in Mayer residence... Is it the newest building on campus? I'd say it looks really cool. Unlike Monroe&Sharp, despite the social atmosphere... I'm fine with Mayer's 218 ppl. Well, I guess anything is better than the single-sex dorms...

By the way- is Tulane really a major party school, or is it just rumors that I've heard?

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Tulane is a MAJOR research university. The professors I work with at the Georgetown School of Medicine highly respect Tulane for their biomedical research. But yes, the rumors are somewhat true. Tulane has a reputation as somewhat of a party school, but if you are going into either (1) Biomedical engineering (2) Architecture (3) Business (4)Law, it is an incredible university. I wouldn't worry about the party atmosphere interrupting your studying since the students their have excellent credentials and seem to maintain them throughout the four years of study. It is just a lot more fun to go to than most other Universities and much more awarding.

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 04:26 pm: Edit

bump

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

bump - reply to my email

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Anyone else planning on attending Tulane?

By Crombie29 (Crombie29) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Is anyone going to the Tulane reception in their area? Also, is anyone else's grades dropping dramatically? Last semester I got 3 C's, this semester I will get 2 C's, and the final semester of the year I will most likely get another C. Is anyone else in my situation? I skip school about 2 times a week and never do homework now.

By Munchymnm (Munchymnm) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

I'm going to a reception on the 30th although Im not sure if I'm gonna attend

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

I went to the reception in the Washington DC area and it was a marketing thing for students that haven't already made up there mind on whether or not to attend Tulane. I guess the one good thing you get from the meeting is the 10 minute video about what Tulane students do while at Tulane.

BTW, I've noticed some very impressive stats this year, average SAT of 1347, ~14,500 people applied for 1,400 spots. I think this year's freshman class at Tulane is going to be very strong.

By Munchymnm (Munchymnm) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

do you have a link for the stats?

By Kenowhere (Kenowhere) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 09:05 pm: Edit

http://pres2002.tulane.edu/

By Crombie29 (Crombie29) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

bump

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

does anyone know how admissions decisions work at tulane? they say on the website that it "takes approximately 2 weeks to review your application materials" does this mean they're on a rolling admissions system?

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

btw...if i get in i'll be at newcomb, with a double major in cell and molecular biology and psychology :-)
(i'm trying for their early med school admissions program, as well)

congrats on your acceptances, all :-)

By Tulanesenior (Tulanesenior) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 05:35 am: Edit

So it's 4:30 in the morning and I'm posting on a high school message board...yeah I look like a real loster, and no, I'm not a typical Tulane student, it's a Thursday night and they're all still at the Boot (local bar).

To burst a few bubbles (and a few egos), here's some advice.

1) The Dean's Honor Scholarship is primarily given out to outstanding students with good SAT/ACT scores. So, to the guy who posted a 1000 word rant about how he didn't get it, boohoo. You probably didn't have a good enough SAT score/class rank. That, and your attitude sucked enough that I'd hate to share a campus with you.

2) Freshmen get Butler, Monroe, Sharp, JL, Warren, and maybe Paterson. Paterson's the nicest dorm and it's substance free. The other dorms are dumps. You guys wanted Mayer or Willow? Not happening. No way you're getting those dorms unless you're in varsity sports.

3) Don't brag about your SAT scores, honestly. Only geeky losers brag about that kind of stuff. We all have good SAT scores. Who cares. You want to brag, go to Emory or Vanderbilt with the rest of the snobs.

With that said, I am happy with Tulane, actually. For the money I pay, I am getting a damn good education. If you had to pay 15,000 to attend this school, it is definitely more than worth it, if you compare it to a state school. My chemistry class had TEN people in it. That was my FRESHMAN CHEMISTRY CLASS. My physics class had 8, my english class had twelve, and the small classes do really matter.

Now I have to go and study for my biochem test. Good luck with college, my little brother's going through the same thing you are, so I know how bad it can be these days.

By Argilospsychi (Argilospsychi) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Hey guys

I'm going to Tulane too....I defered a year so I'll be in the class of 2008

This is an old thread but if anyone is still reading it, AIM me at ArgilosPsychi or email me.

Wembley: I'm also thinking about doubling in bio and psych. Either that or just neuroscience.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page