My chances at Yale

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: My chances at Yale
By Ejjman (Ejjman) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Hi, what are my chances at Yale (I am currently a junior)
SAT I: 730 Verbal 590 Math
ACT: 29 Composite, 31 English, 26 Math, 34 Reading, 24 Science
GPA: 3.1 (I know it isn't good, but I had some family problems in 9th and 10th grade, and my unweighted GPA from 11th grade thus far is 3.6 and I'm expecting significant improvement)
Extracurriculars:
-V. Football: 1 year(11th) (1 J.V.[10th])
-V. Track and Field: 2 years (9th and 10th)
-Theatre: 1 year(9th)
-Key Club: 1 year (9th)
-2 silver medals on National Latin Examination
-Over 50 hours of Community Service
-JROTC: 1 year(11th)
-I'm also a published poet

If I can't get into Yale with these numbers, what can I do to get in? Will my family problems be considered? Thanks.

By Agentx004 (Agentx004) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

im going to be honest so please dont take this as being rude ....you dont have a shot at all. your GPA will extremely hurt you and your math sat needs to be much higher. you dont show comittment on your EC's seeing as that you only spent 1-2 years on each. your family problems will not be any help, sorry. you probably can't make it to any ivy league schools and you wont make it to NYU or any other elites because your GPA is very low! if you had raised your junior year GPA to atleast a 3.8 you may have had a shot at a good college. i say go for a state school, but hey i may be wrong....so choose what you think is best for you. have you talked with your counselor about doing anything to improve?

By Arthur (Arthur) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

is this a joke

By Ejjman (Ejjman) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:33 am: Edit

Thanks, just thought I'd ask

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

Well, if you get your poetry regularly published in places like THE NEW YORKER and win a Pulitzer prize for it....

But, no, I think Yale is out of reach. Otoh, limiting yourself to state schools is way too severe. A lot of decent LAC's would be happy to have you...not Williams/Haverford/Bates/etc. but a notch or two down; I'd think Muhlenberg might be the type of place that would grab you.

By Ejjman (Ejjman) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

How about Villanova?

By Heythere (Heythere) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Don't let them discourage you! Apply! Apply! There is so much randomness in ivy-league admissions, you might have a shot, if you retake the SAT and bring it up to 650+ and write an essay about your family problems

By Doctort (Doctort) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

What the hell are u guys talking about!!!! Ejjman, you definatley have a shot at Yale. You seem to be good at verbal/english so that'll help. National Latin exam is very presitigious so you got some awards. Your grades and SAT scores are below Yale's averages, but not out of their range. Apply and see what happens. Hopefully, you'll get in. And, Agentx004, wtf do you know?? Of course ejjman's got a shot at Yale. hundreds of people with SAT's lower than ejjman's get in.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Yeah, you're only a junior. Definitely get your math up. And, if it's not too late, join something that you've already done. Start volunteering somewhere that you can make a commitment. It's quality not quantity. You don't have to have a bunch of ECs, but you do need to have a committment to the select few you're involved in. If you can, make them interesting ECs. And definitely work hard to get your grades and GPA up. I myself have had some stumbles, but I wrote it into my essay. You might also speak personally with your admissions counselor next year. One of my counselors said that it reflected well on me to explain bad spots of my transcript instead of leaving them to make up their own explanations.

By Ash (Ash) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Sorry, but you may want to set your sights on a more achievable goal. Even with much better scores Yale would still probably be a big reach.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:29 am: Edit

Many people do not understand how hard it is to get into Yale. An 3.1 GPA will have the committee toss the application out the second they see that. A girl from my school applied for EA, she have a 1500 SAT, 4.8 GPA, Val. of the Class. Spend countless hours at local hospital every weekend. Won numerous awards. Into sports and excellent EC. A minority. She got REJECTED not even Deferred. Save your $60 Eji, but apply you never know...

By Tanya (Tanya) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 03:36 am: Edit

Apply!
I got in and so can you!

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

yale doesn't even offer EA!!! they will in next year, but this year it is ED...

By Josh (Josh) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:47 am: Edit

if you havent noticed, cruelfate, this kid is a junior, so he will not be applying until next year, when yale has changed to EA. Just thought I'd clarify ;)

By Bigparoxysm (Bigparoxysm) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:56 am: Edit

I applied to some Ivies, but I wasted my money.

Yale might be out of reach, but I don't think NYU is completely out of the question. It's very hard to get into, but I don't think the acceptance rate is a true indication of the difficulty of the school, in that it's not as competitive as the below 30% would lead one to believe. But that's just what I think.

If you really want to go to a school like NYU, a very good university but certainly not on the same level as Yale, or a school similar to NYU, try applying early.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page