Dartmouth

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Dartmouth
By Haithman (Haithman) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

How come no one on here hardly ever talks about Dartmouth? I mean it's in the Ivy league and seems to be a great school, the person that i have been talking to from there is great. Can someone tell me why it is not talked about on here, or not a household name like Harvard or Yale?
-Thank You.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:09 pm: Edit

I'll tell you why:

Because a lot of the ppl (although not ALL) on this forum are naive enough to beleive that only the VERY top school are good enough for them. Dartmouth?? Are you crazy?!?!?! Dont you know that that school is just HORRIBLE?!?!?! Come on now. I can only be educated at Yale undergrad, and Harvard for grad school. Lets get w/the program.

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

ahh Dartmouth is discussed although not heavily. Dartmouth prospective tend not to frequent sites as this. They are generally more secure. Also nearly twice as many people apply to HYP so of course there will be a greater discussion of those schools

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

I think that Dartmouth is my first choice, and it's an Ivy. I love it because I don't mind being in the middle of nowhere. It's also one of the most beautiful campuses from what I've heard. Unfortunately I haven't been able to visit. Hopefully, I get in. My Yale interviewer tried to tell me that Dartmouth is a big drinking school dominated by Fraternities. Anybody think there's truth to that?

By Pisces (Pisces) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Most people on this site are college-obsessed, HYPSM or kill yourself. (come on, they even made up an abbreviation for it) The people I know who apply to Dartmouth are intelligent, but down to earth. True, Dartmouth isnt as "selective" as Harvard, but it's a college, so there's probably more of a focus on undergrads than at the big universities. It is an excellent school though. Maybe it's a good sign for you though- not too many people applying so the admittance rates are up :P. Good Luck.

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Dartmouth is a big drinking school, and it is true that the fraternities dominate the social scene. This makes everyone super nervous about where they fit in socially, which leads to conformists and outcasts. It's not the best environment.

Furthermore, Dartmouth is famous for being extremely cold for almost the entire school year (hence the reason they have that sophomore summer program). I visited during April and I had to trudge through snow. It was horrible.

The thing that bugs me the most is that they are extremely conservative. extremely, extremely conservative, which tends to be unfostering to certain types of diversity.

That's all I have to say.

By Brownhopeful (Brownhopeful) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

Oh and I'd like to add that I only know a lot of this because I visited and because my Dartmouth interviewer told me about the school's social problems. She was a recent grad, and I was really surprised that she was interviewing, because her take on Dartmouth wasn't perfect... or even good...

By Cmns (Cmns) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

When I visited Dartmouth I loved it. Perhaps the biggest misconception people have about Dartmouth is that it is conservative. It is VERY LIBERAL. People also think the Greek system dominates the social scene- not true. With such a diverse group of people I'm sure everyone can find their niche. Dartmouth is the best. I hope I'm there in the fall. Good luck to everyone who applied.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Darn, I kind of liked the fact that it was supposed to be conservative. I'm Republican, and enjoy working on political campaigns for my party. Most of the schools I've been interested in on paper have turned out to be really liberal, like with no conservative prescence.

I hope I get into Dartmouth too. *fingers crossed, less than a month now*

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page