Anxiety! What are my chances for ivies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Anxiety! What are my chances for ivies
By Aljenadro (Aljenadro) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Hi, I'm a half spanish half asian (URM?) male from CT. I attend a competitive public. I'm going up to Cambridge tomorrow because i havve a Model UN conference. I applied to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Brown, UPenn, Johns Hopkins, MIT.

I'm in at NYU and UConn Honors.

Unweighted GPA: 3.4, Weighted 4.2

Class rank: 5% unofficially (school does not rank) of 558

Math: 730, Verbal: 730, IIC: 790, Bio: 740, IC: 720

ECs

EMT (18-20 hrs/wk)

Co-President/Founder of Club that financed Biogas plant construction in Pakistan (and participated in some rather seditious activities)

Health Educator of underaged prostitutes in the Philippines

Self-taught Violist (7 years)

Piano study (12 yearS)

Tutor underprivileged students.

900+ hours of community service at local hospital.

Catechist at local Church (teach Kindergarten/First and Second Graders)

Involvement in other school clubs: Model UN Secretary (12); Asian Cultural Union (11,12); Diversity Awareness (11,12); Link [Community Service] Club (11,12)

Harvard SSP 2002 (Intro. to Philosophy [A-]; Cell Bio [B])

Mandarin Lessons

Athletic Activities: Track (400 m), PR (personal record) is 54.3 ; local Basketball league.

Other Info:

Essay considered by essay bashing Euro teacher to be one of the best he's ever read. Three essays: one about overcoming my videogame passion (to use the politically correct term), another about how my messy room reflected my personality (submitted to writing contests), and another about an experience at a Chinese Food restaurant.

Quasi-Quadlingual: English, Tagalog, Spanish, Mandarin (proficiency in that order)

Will have taken 8 APs by Graduation: 5/5/5/5 for the exams i've taken.

Ranks are inflated in my school because honors and APs are weighted the same.

Awards and Honors: All of those associated with EMTing and MRTing (certification and CPR, etc.); AP Scholar; Boys State Nominee (conflict with Harvard SSP); AHA Healthcare Provider Certification

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

hey how was harvard ssp I'm doing it this year, already got accepted. could you tell me a little about your experience?

about your stats, you look good, you're an URM, your grade/scores are good and you have a lot of EC's and volunteer hours. If colleges are really looking for "diversity" your in, but you never know. I think you have a good chance though.

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

BUMP

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page