Does being sexy help your chances? (I'm serious)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Does being sexy help your chances? (I'm serious)
By Heythere (Heythere) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 05:16 pm: Edit

If you're gorgeous in an applicant pool and you get an interview, do you think that would help?

By Igotpants (Igotpants) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 05:58 pm: Edit

It all depends on your major. If you are majoring in Broadcast Journalism, Theatre, etc, then it would certainly give you an advantage over "less qualifide applicants," hehe. I'm applying for Broadcast Journalism and I certainly bet that colleges will notice if you "look good" on camera, especially for me :). But I can't say anything on any other majors.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

It worked for Reese Weatherspoon when she applied to Harvard.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 08:41 am: Edit

Um: Igotpants -- I taught for 6 years in a journalism school, and can tell you that good looks was not something that the school considered when reviewing applicants.

In fact, one thing that was particularly irritating was students who thought that because they were good looking, that gave them some advantage in the field.

First -- most of the jobs, including the most important jobs are behind the camera, not on air. What's needed for such jobs are excellent writing, current events, organizational and people skills. One also has to be fast, accurate, responsible and to handle pressure well.

To get the anchor jobs that so many students aspire to, one has to have the above plus one also has to be reasonably attractive. There are far more good looking aspiring anchors than there ar people with the journalism and business skills mentioned in the previous graph.

What opens j school doors is not being cute or sexy, it's having a strong journalism background, strong writing and speaking skills, strong research skills and an excellent knowledge of current events.

Students who assume that being sexy or good looking is the ticket to J School admissions just evoke derisive laughter from the faculty making the decisions.

By Healthy_Body (Healthy_Body) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

beautiful people tend to get paid more. so i imagine that you have a slightly better chance... probably just a little better interview, but it's not really tangible or anything, so it probably won't affect too much. i also imagine that being good looking helps your charisma, which is important in interviews and life in general. meh.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page