Univ of miami

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Univ of miami
By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Has anyone received a response from UM? I submitted the online application quite a while ago... The confirmation email said that it would be possible for my "admittance to be announced on the admissions home page" before they send me the letter via post.

did anyone hear about their admission so far? any ideas on how it could be announced on the admissions hp or perhaps my status page?

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Uh, I got a brochure from UM. They wanted me to look at them as a prospective, future college, but maybe that's not what you're talking about...

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

nope, nope, I'm not talking about brochures, I'm talking about admission letters/notifications... Nevermind...
Tho I go the brochure a bit earlier too- the campus seems really beautiful and I love the idea of Miami, Florida, etc, but many people've told me so far that UM is a huuuuuge waste of money- it's not nearly as good enough as it is expensive... Well that might be true at some point, but I have confidence in their architecture program, which I want to do... Anyway, best of luck!

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

UM is in Coral Gables. Now, Gables is cool...it's a nice little place. I mean, it's a suburb, but it's not a big difference. And it's really close to fun places the Coconut Grove. I vacation in Gables and my cousins live there, so I haven't seen everything, good and bad. Still, I think it is a really great place that most ppl love.

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

yeah, I know UM's in Coral Gables, but Miami is really near, right? I like being near an urban area, but actually living in a suburban one.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

I got in to UM EA so if you applied EA you should have gotten a relpy by now. If not, I would chill until April Fools (Ironic Date)when most letters come in the mail. My letter was a big fat 9x12 packet if it helps.
UM is nice, but as a Florida resident I would say that there are better places to go.
Let me know if you need my stats or have any other questions.
Oh... for the one who said it is too expensive.... the offer awesome merit scholarships at NO competition. I got a 3/4 tuition scholarship equal to $19,000 just by applying. Don't disregard UM because of the price.
Besides... I would worry about getting in first, then the money.

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

yeah, post your stats please (with intended major)
mine are 1400 SAT, v760, m640
major: architecture
I've also included my resume sheet in the application, which they didn't really ask for from international students, and I also submitted an essay, which also wasn't requested...

I emailed them SO MANY times, with questions like "is it ok if I submit teacher recommendations, should I submit an essay, a list of EC's???" and they never bothered to respond, EVER! So I just sent it all, I don't really care if they take it into consideration or don't. I'd say each student should have the equal right to make a presentation of him/herself and life so far in the application, so why should there be a difference between an international student and a U.S. one? Like, we internationals do nothing in life, don't have respectable teachers, and can't write a good essay in english, like it's only the priviledge of american people? I'd say that manner was a bit unfair, since all the other universities I applied to had more-less the exact same requests for both U.S. and international applicants. Plus the fact that I never got a single response from UM (by that, I don't mean the admission letter, but the previous stuff..). Not really a cool way to treat prospective students.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Yeah, Miami is really near. Everything melds together, so you can be in Miami and out of Gables before you even know it. And cruelfate is right, there are more beautiful places, but it's essentially a very nice place, fairly well-off--I don't think it has a lot of crime. But then again, I only visit a few weeks a year, so I'm not an expert--but it's a fun place.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

1390 SAT 680V 710M
major: pre-med/bio. (applyed for 6yr medical program)
SAT II's: 800 - Hebrew, 710 Math IIC, 700 Biology M
I also sent a resume (in green and orange of course), go hurricanes!!!
I can relate to your international experience since I myself lived in Israel for 5 years and moved back to the US only after that.
I took AP Statistics and found that a 1390 was 92nd percentile so yours should be a bit higher... I wouldn't worry since they aren't THAT selective. The location is nice, the weather is nice, the school looks nice, and I hear the archtecture program is good. The living arrangements are kind of crappy though.. very small and old. U.M. was the first school I visited (second was Harvard) so when I saw it I thought it was very decent. Let me know if you have any other questions. I'd like to know where you are from.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

anyone care to respond?

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

CruelFate, I'm from Serbia. Are you currently in Florida, perhaps?
please tell me more about the UM campus (dorms and student life, if you know anything more) and whether you know something more about the architecture school
I suppose you applied to Harvard as well? which other schools? I only applied to USoCal, Tulane, IIT (got into all three, IIT's given me a great scholarship, USC not nearly enough, and I'm waiting for Tulane's financial letter...) I doubt even if I get the best scholarship from UM it would beat IIT's scholly... but let's first wait for the answer, and then do the "prolly, surely" assumptions...

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Creatorcat,

I find it very interesting that you are from Serbia... Congratulations on making the decision to coming to an American college. In response to your question, I do currently reside in Florida approximately 2 hours drive from Miami and have visited the campus on 3 occasions. Unfortunately, I don't know much more than is advertised on Miami's website and I urge you to go there for more information. The website is: www.miami.edu
In general, the campus is very beautiful and modern looking since the school itself is only 70 years old (compared to Harvard which is about 400 years old). Everything at Miami seems to be wonderful except the dormatories. They seemed small and delpidated. However, in the I do not advise that anyone rule out a school just because of the dormatories since in the end education is the ultimate goal. Please review the website and afterwards if you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer. It is just that your inquiry is too general for me to respond to. However, please be assured that I will be glad to address any specific issue.
In addition, here is the list of schools I applied to per your request:
Harvard, Yale, Brown, Cornell, Georgetown, Tufts, J. Hopkions, U. Miami, Emory, George Washington, Washington U., Union C., Brandeis, C. Mellon, and Vanderbilt.
What did IIT offer you? In order to meet the 3/4 tution scholarship per annum (per year), equal to about $19,000 per annum, you need the following:
1360 SAT
3.9 GPA
top 5% class rank

I don't know if they have the final two measurements in Serbia, but if they do, or if you can prove something equal, then U. Miami will automatically give you the 3/4 scholarship without any competition.
But I also wanted to say that I think Tulane is one of the better schools on your list and I think you should consider going there if the offer is decent. I didn't apply because as you can see I want to get out of the South, but for you it may be a good oppertunity.

Looking forward to any questions you might have!

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

quick answer...
IIT offered me the full-tuition scholarship for all five years, so that'll leave me around $9-10,000 per year to pay, which I can afford. I'm expecting Tulane's offer to be somewhere like the one of IIT, but I can't really tell anything for sure before I get the finaid letter... I hope that happens soon, and UMiami gives me a response soon, so that I can make the final decision...
Actually, my first choice was (at first...) USC, but since I didn't win the scholarship I was hoping for, I gave it up. I like IIT anyway.

Yes, we do calculate GPA and class rank here. Converted to the U.S. 4.0 scale, my GPA is currently 4.0 and I'm doing my best to keep it that way. My rank was 3rd/320 class last semester, but I think this semester I will rank 2nd, or possibly 1st. I'm hoping for Miami's full tuition scholarship... I'm just wondering if 1400 SAT is ok... I know it's the borderline score, so that's why I don't think it's secure enough. But I've given my best shot with the essay. Well, maybe it works, maybe not..

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Wow! Glad to hear that your high school will give you the oppertunity to get a decent scholarship and that you are doing so well!
The 1400 is the minimum you need for the full scholarhsip but I understand that in opposition to the other scholarships, the full scholarship is only awarded to the BEST students and therefore I am not sure that the 1400 will cut it. But don't get discouraged and like the rest of us hope that April 1st brings a pleasent surprise!

I take it you didn't have time to check the website, so when you do have questions please post them and I will answer.
Good Luck!

By C13trinity (C13trinity) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

ok ok i just had to write in because i am amazed at how high all your stats are and you guys are talking about possibly not getting in? Ok let me give you the perspective from someone that lives in Miami(well i go to Cornell now so I guess i live in ny most of the time, but i grew up there). UM is a great school; the people are great, the school is beautiful, the professors are approachable. When they say that it's in Coral Gables, just think to yourself ok that means Miami. The city of Miami is very different than other major cities in that it doesn't have strict borders. From kendall to hialeah, from plantation to pembroke pines, it's all miami. It is all urban and it is all miami. Just think of those other names as community names, because everyone that lives in Dade county thinks of themselves as miami residents.
Also about these stats. gimme a break you are all gonna get in. and also being the average white male helps you a lot cuz there are so many hispanics that apply and get it that they aren't really looking for that. Please, the average person with a 3.4, 1260 SAT will get into UM, so don't freak. They are extremely retarded with the whole scholarship thing though because they refuse to count weighted GPA's which is beyond me.
Also I don't know what they tell you guys in those pamphlets they send out, but in miami you NEED a car. There is no other way about it. You guys should come down and visit and try getting ariund without one; it's practically impossble. Public transportation in miami is non-existent and you really shouldn't take the metrorail which they announce as being right next to campus, which it is. Don't think of it as a major expense though because if you can its better to get an apartment with someone you know. If not freshman year, then afterwards. You can get one with 3 rooms for 600 a month and divide the payments. That way for less than 500 a month you have an apartment and a car, not to mention a summer place in miami, all for less than on campus housing.
Anyway thats all I can think of right now. Anyone can email me if they have questions and i'll try to help. I know this time can be kinda confusing and it seems liek you are making this huge life-changing decision, but you guys should be proud of all you've accomplished already.

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:46 am: Edit

Thanks for the kind words....
I already got in so I am not worried.
The person I was advising needs a substantial financial aid award and that is why (s)he is concerned. But overall.... I agree with what you have to say.

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 09:16 am: Edit

Got the acceptance package yesterday, with the 3/4 tuition scholarship and 2,000 work/study program

so it's around $17,500 for me to pay per year, which I don't have... so I most prolly won't attend, but I just wanted to let you know

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

I am both happy and disapointed for you... best of luck...
:)

btw... does anyone have anymore questions?

By Txkid (Txkid) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

ya i do cruelfate. Did u get into the miami medical program-BS/MD? If so, was it competitive?

1550 SAT
3.8/ 4.0 GPA
4 internships
Medical Based School
TX resident

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page