4. SAT 1: 1510
SAT 2: 800 2c, 770 writing, 750 Phys
gpa: 4.0
recommendations: very good
essay: fairly good
Money: financial aid needed
Admits: Bryn Mawr, Smith, Wellesley, Lehigh

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

point being? you can't really expect an Ivy to accept deadly poor students that seek the full-ride finaid. frankly, as severe as it may sound, but poor students really don't belong there. (by poor I mean around $5,000 total annual parent income)

besides, it's well known that good small private liberal art colleges are pretty generous when it comes to finaid for internationals (Bryn Mawr, Bucknell, Colgate, Franklin & Marshall, Lehigh ). Others, like Ivy league, have strong enough reputation and are prestigeous enough that they don't really need to prove any of that by showing generocity towards international studs.

My friend applied to around 12 such lib art colleges, and also to Cornell, 2 yrs ago (1320 SAT, average SATII's, reasonably good essay, nice recommendations, ranked in top 10% of class, ec's tennis and some clubs.. nottin much). She was accepted to all with a full ride need based finaid, except to Cornell who offered her less than half-tuition. She's in Bucknell now, happy as ever.

My point being- you don't apply to Ivy or Ivy-like colleges to expect a full or nearly full-ride. They don't really want poor people wondering about their prescious unis.

By Outdateboy (Outdateboy) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 01:48 pm: Edit

No. that's not true.
Your examples are just not excellent enough.

I know people have HS ranking 1/300, British National Olympiad in math 1st place, get in MIT, Harvard, Cornell, Upenn with full financial aid.

Your later two examples are just not tough enough to ask for financial aid.

I have to admit that poor internationals are poor not becausae top schools don't condiser them at all, but because you have to fight much harder than the rich people.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page