PLEASE HELP WITH FINANCIAL AID DOCUMENT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: PLEASE HELP WITH FINANCIAL AID DOCUMENT
By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

Hi as you probably inferred from the title, i need help with a financial aid application my parents are supposed to fill in. It's for Cornell U. summer program for high school students. I would REALLLLY appreciate if you guys can help with this(me and my parents have no experience with these.)

1. It asks you to list dependants, relationship, age, name of school, grade level and "Annual tuition paid or other unusual expenses"
now do you think that includes ...say a summer school class i took a year ago or, for my brother, the total cellphone bill they pay in year or what?

2.What do you think would qualify as "extraordinary expenses" in the part where we fill in info about annual income and stuff. Are those expenses we already had less than a year ago or those that we're planning to have?

I really need a lot of financial aid, so i need to look as poor as possible, at the same time without lying. I would really appreciate any help. PLEEEEEEASE HELP ME.

By Supernova (Supernova) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

"unusual expenses"~ i have NO experience with applications or anything but i would say a cellphone bill is not unusual and if your parents could afford for you brother to have a cellphone they might think you can afford to pay for the class.... then again this is just mho

By Drusba (Drusba) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Annual tuition generally refers to paying tuition for school during regular semesters. However, listing a summer school tuition is not unheard of as it is still tuition incurred during the year. "Unusual expenses" do not include cell phones except in unusual circumstances -- like the student needs the cell phone because he has a disability that might require the need to make immediate emergency calls to particular physicians that could be speed dialed on the phone. "Extraordinary expenses" would be things like major medical bills not covered by insurance, costs of care of diabled persons, purchases needed and expenses incurred after a fire loss or flood(and not covered by insurance) -- in other words, significant expenses forced upon the family by events that the typical family never experiences during the year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page