Please Evaluate for HYP, MIT, Caltech, Cornell, Stanford

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Please Evaluate for HYP, MIT, Caltech, Cornell, Stanford
By Mjthe2nd (Mjthe2nd) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

These are my stats:

No Minority Or Legacy Status
From Idaho
AP: Physics B, Physics C, Comp Prog A, Comp Prog
AB, Calc BC, US History, Spanish: 2 4's, 5 5's

PSAT: 228 (National Merit Finalist)
Sat I: 800M, 750V (Might Retake)
Sat II: Bio-E(710) (Score Hold)
Spanish(790) (Score Hold)
I am taking the US History, Physics, and Math IIc in June, and the Spanish w/ Listening and Writing in November.

GPA: 4.0 Unweighted
All Honors/AP Classes
Class Rank: 1/600

I have done Both Calculus Courses, Spanish, and Physics C Independent Study becuase my school only offers about 6 AP Classes.

EC's: Eagle Scout
Physics Club
School Winner, Boise State University Science Day Competition
3-Time Winner, Annual Statewide Idaho Math Exam (Freshman-Junior Year)
National Honor Society

(Joing Business Professionals of America and Ski Team also Next Year)

I know my EC's are weak, but let me know what you think. Thanks!

By Impact (Impact) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

If you tell me your major, I can better tell your chances....

With the info given, the 710 needs to go up to atleast above 750..

you have a DECENT chance at the HPYSM..I think you could get in one of them..... >50% chance that you'll get into one if you increase that 710 and try to get more as an intern for whatever field you are truly interested in under a professor, or the most well-known person you can come in contact with (and hopefully impress)..The game of college admissions also requires you to be somewhat shrewd!

I think cornell should be no problem, but you should apply to other schools because all that you listed are really hard to get in to.

I dunno about CalTech...

By Mjthe2nd (Mjthe2nd) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice. I had a really bad bio teacher, so I will probably keep that 710 on Score Hold. I also forgot to add that I hold a 30-40 hour a week job, in addition to the hardest course load in my school w/ straight A's. I don't know if that changes things. I also hope to get an internship at Hewlett Packard this summer, and I hope to major in Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or a combination of them. Thanks again for your help!

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Tim Lipus, is that you? I was at the BSU sci day and didn't get sh1t :( Well, anyway. I don't quite understand what you mean by a "school winner," but I bet you're from Timberline. What's ur first name? E-mail me @ and leave a message here as well, cuz i almost never check that email. Peace out bro

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

P.S. You have a very good shot at HYP and Cornell. Stanford, CIT, and MIT are always questionable, even with great stats like yours. That's why I picked only one big reach school - caltech. very slim chances, but better than not applying at all (which would give me no chances at all, obviously).

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

Oops, my brain cells are dying. For some reason i though HYP = JHU, lol. HYP are all tough and unpredictable

By Mjthe2nd (Mjthe2nd) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Anybody else?

By Innotof (Innotof) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

How were you able to do AP physics in an independent study format? I'm interested in doing that as well, so I'm just curious.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

Are you the same person who bashed me not too long ago and called me arrogant?...

By Innotof (Innotof) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

No, it must have been someone else.

By Mjthe2nd (Mjthe2nd) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I was able to do Physics C Independent Study because I have an awesome Physics B teacher who is willing to teach myself and a friend in his spare time... I'm pretty lucky to be able to do the labs and such without a school that allows APPC as a class. Plus, if you live in the Treasure Valley, Centennial High School is going to start offering it next year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page