Please Evaluate for HYP, MIT, Caltech, Cornell, Stanford

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Please Evaluate for HYP, MIT, Caltech, Cornell, Stanford
By Mjthe2nd (Mjthe2nd) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

These are my stats:

No Minority Or Legacy Status
From Idaho
AP: Physics B, Physics C, Comp Prog A, Comp Prog
AB, Calc BC, US History, Spanish: 2 4's, 5 5's

PSAT: 228 (National Merit Finalist)
Sat I: 800M, 750V (Might Retake)
Sat II: Bio-E(710) (Score Hold)
Spanish(790) (Score Hold)
I am taking the US History, Physics, and Math IIc in June, and the Spanish w/ Listening and Writing in November.

GPA: 4.0 Unweighted
All Honors/AP Classes
Class Rank: 1/600

I have done Both Calculus Courses, Spanish, and Physics C Independent Study becuase my school only offers about 6 AP Classes.

EC's: Eagle Scout
Physics Club
School Winner, Boise State University Science Day Competition
3-Time Winner, Annual Statewide Idaho Math Exam (Freshman-Junior Year)
National Honor Society

(Joing Business Professionals of America and Ski Team also Next Year)

I know my EC's are weak, but let me know what you think. Thanks!

By Impact (Impact) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

If you tell me your major, I can better tell your chances....

BUT..

With the info given, the 710 needs to go up to atleast above 750..

you have a DECENT chance at the HPYSM..I think you could get in one of them..... >50% chance that you'll get into one if you increase that 710 and try to get more involved..work as an intern for whatever field you are truly interested in under a professor, or the most well-known person you can come in contact with (and hopefully impress)..The game of college admissions also requires you to be somewhat shrewd!

I think cornell should be no problem, but you should apply to other schools because all that you listed are really hard to get in to.

I dunno about CalTech...

By Mjthe2nd (Mjthe2nd) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice. I had a really bad bio teacher, so I will probably keep that 710 on Score Hold. I also forgot to add that I hold a 30-40 hour a week job, in addition to the hardest course load in my school w/ straight A's. I don't know if that changes things. I also hope to get an internship at Hewlett Packard this summer, and I hope to major in Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, or a combination of them. Thanks again for your help!

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Tim Lipus, is that you? I was at the BSU sci day and didn't get sh1t :( Well, anyway. I don't quite understand what you mean by a "school winner," but I bet you're from Timberline. What's ur first name? E-mail me @ quarkygluon@hotmail.com and leave a message here as well, cuz i almost never check that email. Peace out bro

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

P.S. You have a very good shot at HYP and Cornell. Stanford, CIT, and MIT are always questionable, even with great stats like yours. That's why I picked only one big reach school - caltech. very slim chances, but better than not applying at all (which would give me no chances at all, obviously).

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

Oops, my brain cells are dying. For some reason i though HYP = JHU, lol. HYP are all tough and unpredictable

By Mjthe2nd (Mjthe2nd) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Anybody else?

By Innotof (Innotof) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:26 am: Edit

Mjthe2nd--
How were you able to do AP physics in an independent study format? I'm interested in doing that as well, so I'm just curious.
~Julie

By Incognito (Incognito) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

Innotof:

Are you the same person who bashed me not too long ago and called me arrogant?...

By Innotof (Innotof) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

No, it must have been someone else.

By Mjthe2nd (Mjthe2nd) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Innotof--
I was able to do Physics C Independent Study because I have an awesome Physics B teacher who is willing to teach myself and a friend in his spare time... I'm pretty lucky to be able to do the labs and such without a school that allows APPC as a class. Plus, if you live in the Treasure Valley, Centennial High School is going to start offering it next year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page