USC... anyone received letter?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: USC... anyone received letter?
By Icee (Icee) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Has anyone received a letter from USC stating that they've conducted a "preliminary review" of your application and that they're requesting your midyear grades?

Is this a better sign than a quick rejection... OR does every candidate receive something like this?

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Not all letters have been sent out yet. A lot of people at my school haven't received theirs. Also, I wasn't requested to send in my mid-year grades. Anybody know exactly what it means if you have to send em in? Icee, what were your stats?

By Icee (Icee) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

So... they have...

those who are admitted
those who are rejected
those who require further evaluation

Is that the process? Do you think they have those who are rejected but they won't notify them until mid-March?

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

I don't know what USC is doing, but they need to hurry up and send me my decision. I'm tired of thinking about it.

By Icee (Icee) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Cityguy2oo3, I just got the letter today... so you might get one in a few days.

My SAT scores were below their average, essay was unique in a good way (at least I think so), recs were probably pretty good. As for extracurriculars, I have 3 leadership positions this year and i've been very involved in them, taking 3 AP classes, took 1 last year... english is not my first language though... I have some other stats, but I'm not sure if they even matter.

I don't consider myself a spectacular candidate... and I heard USC base alot of their decisions on SAT scores. Those I know applied from my school... one has a 1300 and another with a 1250, but they haven't received their letter yet.. maybe they'll get theirs on Monday.

What are your stats, cityguy?

By Icee (Icee) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Ohh... maybe you've been accepted already. Like, they DON'T need to weigh you with your midyear report? I mean, they generally send out letters in March, right?

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Yeah, on the website it says "many freshman will be notified by mid-March" and I called to school on friday to see if they needed me to send them my mid-year report, and the lady looked up my ss# and told me that they did not require it from me.

i have a 1250 sat, 680 mathIIc, full-IB diploma candidate, good essays (based on teacher's opinion), and good ecs (hosted exchanged student, travelled to study spanish, etc.), and an URM (under represented minority [black]), and i am ranked in the top ten % of my class... but i've still heard nothing. they've only asked me to verify my info in january, and they sent me some stuff telling me to make sure that i apply for financial aid because they would "hate for me to miss out on aid" (even tho a decision had not yet been made).

By Icee (Icee) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

I have a feeling that you may already be accepted. I mean... they probably aren't sure of certain people (like me), so they send out requests like that.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

do you know anybody else that has gotten the midyear report letter? if so, what were their stats like? see thats the thing, USC is really confusing me with their admission process. they need to just send out all the letters.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

are you an URM?

By Icee (Icee) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

I'm Chinese.... and USC has tons of Asians, overall. So I don't think I'm an URM.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

does anybody know someone else that has gotten the midyear report letter? if so, what were their stats like?

By Calischolar (Calischolar) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

i got in and applied after jan 10. im not special and applied for no scholarships. i think that they request a mod-year report if your grades from years past are less than stellar.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:17 pm: Edit

how did you apply after jan 10 (the deadline) and get in? do you mean dec 10? also, when did you get your letter? and what were your stats?

By Calischolar (Calischolar) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

no, i mean jan 10. i sent it jan 11. I received my acceptance package last wednesday. As far as my stats go, i had a 4.1 gpa, lots of ecs, great recs, and a 28 act comp. what about you?

By Calischolar (Calischolar) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

cityguy, im almost sure you are in. USC adcom is really weird, i.e my friend got accepted at the end of january and applied jan 10. really odd

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

did you read my stats up above?

are an URM and where are you from?

By Icee (Icee) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Did you guys have an interview? I did... but I'm not sure if it was that great.

They're probably curious, because I got straight B's in AP English last year.

Oh well, whatever goes. Whether they accept me or not is beyond my control.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

no i didnt have one. i had one scheduled but then something came up, so i had to cancel.

By Calischolar (Calischolar) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

im from nor-california and didn't get an interview. they said it was too late, but whatever. i am also a full breed white boy, so go figure.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

"full breed white boy"...lol..thats funny.

so are you thinking about going to USC?

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:13 am: Edit

All of my schools require mid-year grade reports. But, they're all on the east coast, so who knows what USC's procedure is.

By Calischolar (Calischolar) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

i had a tour last weekend and really liked it. maybe that had something to do with them sending the acceptance letter...

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

yea i visited over the summer. i really liked USC. but it doesnt compare to UCLA's campus. but still, i love SC.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

do u all think that SC will be sending out more admission packets this week?

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:11 am: Edit

hey one sec..anyone selected for presidential scholarship finalist stage here? Im international, and got selected, and recieved the letter only today! theres no way i can go in such short notice. What should i do?

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

chermiel: I got the letter more than 3 weeks ago, but I'm not going anyway... It's too much- such an expence to travel to L.A., and again I might end up with absoultely no scholarship... even if I won it, I couldn't afford USC... I'll be sending my withdrawal card to them tomorrow. Bye bye university of spoiled children. :)
Oh, well...

But you ought to check out their registration for the weekend, via internet, and you MUST call the admissions office. If you're really really eager to go there, nothing should stop you. I think they engaged a travel agency for the arrangements... Ask! Ask! Call the admissions office immediatelly, anyhow.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

so, I called SC today to see if i could still send in my mid-year report (even tho they did not ask of it from me, however i want them to see that i have improved my class rank & GPA if they have any doubt in me) and the guy looked up my SS# and told me that i could still send it...so, basically, an admission decision has not been made for me yet. this is really pissing me off, because i just want to know if i got in!!!! now, i'm thinking should i even bother sending it in (which could probably take longer for them to give me a decision based on the fact that they would have to examine my report when they got it) or not even worry about it and just let them do their job. i'd like to think that i have a good shot at getting in...but why is it that i haven't received my letter!?!? i dont see any reason why SC would want to reject me, but if they haven't, why dont they just send me my letter? somebody tell me what i should do--either just wait and be patient (which is killing me) or even bother sending in my report even tho they didn't ask for it? my stats are posted above, but to add to that, my GPA when i applied was 4.18 and now it has moved up to 4.22. i'm still in top ten % and have taken [over the course of 4 years] 22 IB classes. i'm also like 1 of the only like 10 black students that is a full-IB diploma candidate.

*sorry for any mistakes, i dont feel like reading it over.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Quaggs (Quaggs) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

Ok people, use your logic:

Getting the mid-year report MIGHT ACTUALLY be a good thing--for those who have higher second semester grades. Those who have received that message have a 50 percent better chance of those who have lesser than stellar grades. In other words, you look like a decent applicant but the only thing hindering you from a complete acceptance is that gpa. Now, if you have say a 3.9-4.0 gpa, the adcoms will be more than happy to accept you because your lofty gpa will DEFINATELY compliment the rest of application.

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

bump

read my most recent posts

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Cityguy: I believe that you are freaking out way too much. I know a girl that got into USC 2 years ago with fewer AP classes than you have IB, and she was white. You have a great record of taking challenging classes and being involved. Good luck.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:10 am: Edit

definitely

it's "definitely" no matter where you're going to
school. Ordinarily I let on-line spelling pass but there's been a whole spate of these lately.

At least it's better than "noone."

By Cityguy2oo3 (Cityguy2oo3) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

ok, changing the subject...so guys when we get to USC *speaking as if we are all in and will be attending* what dorms are the best to live in? i dont want to live on a themed floor, and i heard trojan and marks hall are the worst.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 04:32 am: Edit

thanx Creatorcat, no im not very eager to go there. Ive been offered (money-wise) a better deal from Rice which i would most probably anyway pick over USC even if i did get the schol. Thanx for the help! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page