Evaluate these stats please

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Evaluate these stats please
By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:02 am: Edit

These are my daughter's stats, but she didn't want to post them herself. Please evaluate and give honest critiques.

I used to think that Yale was my first choice, but upon further reflection, I think that Dartmouth's size and location suit me better. Here are my stats:
*Greek-American girl
*First in family to go to college
*need lots of financial aid
*National Merit Finalist
*SATI-1470 (800 V) (670 M)
*SATII- Bio-E (570--this isn't accurate tho cuz i actually took Bio-M, so it needs to be handscored) Writing (640) US Hist (690)------so, all these sucked
*ACT- 31 (M-26) (E-35) (R-35) (S-29)
*AP Scholar with Distinction
European Hist-5, Bio-5, Lang&Comp-5, US Hist- 4, Chem-3
*GPA 3.7/4.0---will be valedictorian after this semester cuz of weighted classes
*current rank: 6/30
am only person in school to take AP classes or classes at community college and a local university
*We the People state champions--competing at Nationals
*Girls State participant and counselor next summer
*Youth Ambassador for Global Youth Institute in Brazil this summer
*Italian club-10,11
*Competition speech-9-12
*School play-Lead (11) Assistant Director(12)
*Yearbook-10-12
*Honor club-9-11
*Winner of Know Your Constitution contest for my State House district
*Volleyball-9-10
*Volunteer Ronald McDonald house-11-12
*Volunteer animal shelter-9-10
*Volunteer on political campaign-12
*Lots of political work on local elections, including gubernatorial campaign, lobbied at Capital for bills
*Same job from 10-middle of 12
*new job-middle of 12--on
*Show Choir-first sem. 12
*Lots of awards from United States Achievement Academy and 2 times Who's Who--but I don't think those really count for much.

Well, there is more, but that is all I could think of off the top of my head.

Please let me know what you think my chances of admittance are to Dartmouth. Thanks.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

What do I know? But I like her chances. First generation in college will be a push. The 800 verbal is a push. NM Finalist is good.

Yellow flags: SAT II's are low. Will be screwed in class rank because of very small school. The jobs and volunteer work look good but the EC's may be a little too diffused...nothing of passion stands out.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

Autodidact:

How did you prepare for your SAT I Verbal?!?!?!

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 12:58 pm: Edit

I'm just good at the Verbal section. I got an 80 on writing for the PSAT, so I just had a bad day, with no time to retake. The only EC I've consistently done is Speech competition. I've been driving a half hour every day since 8th grade to go to a talented and gifted school, though I will technically graduate from the HS in my town. The distance has made it hard to be in some activities because meetings were at times when I wasn't at the school. I explained all of these things in the Essay, as well as asking schools to consider my AP scores instead of SAT IIs. My major will be political science--so I'm hoping that the science part isn't looked at too hard.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Bump. Please reply.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

bump

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

bumpetidy, bump bump

Really though, why do ppl say that?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:57 am: Edit

bump = Bring Up My Post

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

Come on people!!! Any opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm starting to worry about never getting in somewhere great.

Incognito--Thanks! I never knew that!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:55 am: Edit

Your EC's are good, GPA is good, SAT I is good, but SAT II's are not that great. So all I can say is work on those. They are not bad, but if you don't get into Dartmouth, that would probably be the reason why. But your EC's make up for some of it.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Thanks for your input.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Okay, I freaked when I applied, so I just kept applying to schools to make sure I'd get in somewhere.
Yale
Dartmouth
Vassar
Middlebury
Smith
Wellesley
Mount Holyoke
Dickinson
Grinnell
Truman State University

If you have already evaluated me for Dartmouth, based on the same stats, what do you think my chances for these places are?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

I think you've got a good shot at Wellesley and are a very strong candidate for Smith. Mount Holyoke I would regard as a "safety" for you; Dickinson and Truman state should be on your list only if you're really insecure.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Yeah, I had to be sure I'd get in somewhere. I live in the midwest, but I want to get the hell out of here. Hence, predominantly applying to Eastern schools. Is Dickinson really that bad? Do you know what the political culture is like on campus?

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:18 pm: Edit

bump

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Dickinson's average SAT is 1230-1240.

From PR's THE BEST 345: "Life in small town central PA" isn't alwasy exciting. There are "a few bars, one movie theater, lots of rednecks."

"Students at Dickinson are smart as hell and like to party like rock stars." [Note: with those SAT scores, I don't know where anyone gets off on that "smart as hell" routine. --td]

From the "Inside Word" section: "The best candidates are the 'stereotypical well-rounded student.' Those who dance to the beat of a different drummer aren't likely to fit in here."

Hope that helps. From your art, I'd say you dance to the beat of a different drummer.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

I appreciate all of the advice you are giving my daughter. She's a super kid with great determination, a sharp mind, and she has a tendency to downplay her abilities. Our rural district school (535 students k-12)in Iowa views being gifted with the same enthusiasm (and desirability)as being BD--and the special ed. group gets lots more time, money and attention. The teachers rarely (never) cover the entirety of their textbooks, and don't encourage outside reading or research.
The half an hour travel time is each way in good weather, exceeding the stated speed limit, and not for a first period class which involves rush hour traffic doubling the travel time.
She's not looking for a party school, but is interested in the political environment and lectures, etc.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Thanks, AutoDad. Check your e-mail in a bit.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Well, it's always flattering to have a glowing recommendation from your mother, but I need to know what objective people think!!!!

Please, tell me what you think! Do I suck? Are my stats good enough? As long as you're not bullshitting what you say, then I'm glad to have your comments.

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Your stats are good enough for Dartmouth ... I know people whose SAT IIs were better than your but whose ECs couldn't even begin to compare with yours that got in.

Good luck.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Thanks! Don't great AP scores compensate for bad SAT IIs?

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

bump....please, i'm freaking out and i'd like some info

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

seriously, this is getting ridiculous, but i'll keep pushing this up until i get a lot of responses

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Whups...make that AutoMom, not AutoDad!

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

please give feedback!!

By Subjecttochange (Subjecttochange) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

I seriously think everyone on this forum just needs to relax, and take a deep breath...

This is not the end of your life; there is transfer, there is graduate school, and there is work.

Most successful people did NOT go to a prestigious school.

I suggest you go read this book, "The Tao of Pooh", if you haven't already. It will put your mind at peace.

P.S. Don't give me some crap about, "STFU, TTT idiot!" I have already been accepted into a pretty decent school.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

My academic schedule for this year:

AP Comparative Government
AP American Government
AP Microeconomics
AP Macroeconomics
AP Psychology
AP Literature and Composition
Statistics 101 & 102 at a local University

Other classes:
Art Appreciation at a local community college
Computer Graphics (required for graduation)
Physical Education (required for graduation)

P.S.-- What does "STFU, TTT idiot!" mean?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:59 am: Edit

Sigh.

STFU = Shut the •••• up.

TTT = Third-tier toilet, a term bandied about to denigrate any school one thinks beneath contempt, i.e., any school beneath the one one got accepted to.

Note that the poster wasn't saying this, just that he didn't want to hear this about his advice. I note that the civility on this board has gone up considerably since registration was required.

I'm in general agreement with the notion that a lot of people here are WAY too tightly wound about getting into HYPSM, most especially the large number who seem to be in it only for the prestige and are applying to 7-8 schools.

For just one dimension, take Columbia and Brown: Columbia has a heavy Core requirement of required courses; Brown has a design-your-own approach to curriculum. If you're looking for a school that's a good "fit" with _you_, it's exceeedingly unlikely that you'd be applying to both.

Then there's the question of major. Take one at random...okay, Russian Studies...thanks. Some Ivies have very renowned Russian departments, others are so-so. You'd have to be very non-discriminating to apply to all. And some non-Ivy Russian departments may be better than most of the Ivies and have other advantages such that the non-Ivy is the better choice for you.

By Marcie (Marcie) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:03 am: Edit

I too think you need to relax a little and try to concentrate on finishing your senior year. You will get in at several of your colleges. Being from Iowa and the way you have worked to improve your education and your 800 V will be in your favor. All those AP classes in senior year and your commute to a better school show your commitment. You do seem like you will want to go to graduate school, so if you don't get in to Dartmouth or Smith or where ever, don't despair. It's just the beginning of your college career, not the end.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Thanks for your advice! In reality, I'm not freaking out as much as it appears on this board. It's just that this site can give one an inferiority complex. Couple that with a long weekend and nothing to do, and anxiety builds up. Voila! you have a girl that appears to be a basketcase.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

And while it may appear that I'm only applying to schools for the name, that is untrue. Yes, I have two Ivies on my list, and most of the rest are semi-Ivy; size, location, and programs offered were the deciding factors when choosing colleges. Except for Yale, if the college was too huge or the surrounding area very urban/ugly, that college went right off my list. I didn't even consider Harvard/Princeton/Brown/Columbia etc. because of these factors. My focus has never been to go to the biggest name school, though I grant that a prestigious name can be enticing. I wanted a school that would suit me with programs, student organizations, size, location, and opportunities available after graduation. Would I be thrilled to attend Yale or Dartmouth? Yes, most definitely, but I am going to law school after college, so I'll have a second shot at the Ivies if I don't make it now.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Bump.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

AutoD, I wasn't suggesting that _you_ were hung up on prestige. It was more of a continuation/response of/to Subjecttochange's post.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

That's cool...I wouldn't believe too much of subjecttochange's post, though. This person was annoying me in another post as well as being continuely belittling wherever he/she posted. I also don't think this person was posting specificly to me. It seems more like he/she has made it his/her mission to instruct everybody else in the attitudes to college or university admittance.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Bump: Can I please have some fresh perspective on my chances at the above named schools?

By Brownuniversity (Brownuniversity) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

"am only person in school to take AP classes"

ummm, how exactly do you take a class when no one else in your school does?????

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

There is a talented and gifted school about 30 miles away from me. The high school in my town does not offer any advanced/honors/AP classes, so I've been going to the other school to take these types of classes. I am the only person from my school that has taken the initiative to go into this other school for AP classes.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:48 pm: Edit

bump

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

To "Autodidact"

Dont even listen to "Brownuniversity" here. He's here for no decent reason but to annoy people.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

haha---Incognito: What do you think my prospects are?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Pretty good. Yale is a little bit of a stretch, but not an unrealistic one. You have a very good shot at the other ivies though. Just know, though, that I dont know much about college admissions, so my word isnt much. I's say you should ask your guidance counselor for advice.

Oh, and BTW...
I can see that you arent getting many responses. That happens to lots of ppl here. If all else fails, then just come back and request again in a week or so under a different name, and you may get more responses. It's worth a try...

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Thanks for your opinion. I really appreciate your honesty. Know what? I am operating under 2 names.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Yikes, I have never responded to one of these "evaluate my stats" things before for several reasons. One is, who am I to say if someone has the right stuff to get in somewhere? Besides, stats are only one side of the whole thing....I would need to see the essay and meet the person in an interview and read recommendations and such to get a fuller picture. Afterall, at challenging colleges, most applicants look pretty good at stats so other things set them apart. I just do not think anyone on a forum could simply go by what is written on these little stat lists to make a solid prediction. At elite schools, so many qualified people get rejected! And some of admissions is about balancing the class out...they want diversity and kids who are strong in various things...not all the same. So it is not like a talent contest where for instance, the top 1000 applicants with the best scores and grades win. They build a CLASS ! Everyone applying looks decent usually on a stats list, in my view. I interview appicants to a challenging college and they all have basically very good similar stats but other things set them apart.

That said, all I can comment on is whether you seem in the ballpark for acceptance....and from what I am reading, you would be at all those schools. I think the bottom four schools are safeties or sure things for you. Since you said you might not want an urban setting, maybe Yale is not the best choice, though it still is a small city. I live nat far from either Middlebury or Dartmouth and they are lovely schools! Sounds like a good match for you. I am not sure why anyone has knocked your SAT scores...they are surely quite good and definitely in the right range for these schools...I meet kids all the time with scores like those who have been admitted....again it is the total package! It is very commendable to be valedictorian...I do not care how small your school is....congrats! And I think an adcom committee will look highly upon your initiative to seek out a more challenging academic program in your region.....cause I can say with certainty that top schools really do care that a student challenged themselves by taking the most demanding coursework available to them. You have a very varied and impressive EC list as well. Like my own child, you have done a myriad of things and must be so busy. You have a bunch of work experience and volunteering there. The only thing I notice is that while you have done a lot, you have not done any one thing (other than work or community service) for a long while...actually that does contrast with my own child who does many areas, but has done them all most of her life....not saying this is better but it popped out at me in contrast. Someone might ask, for example, why you did not stick with volleyball....if you get my drift, but it is not a big deal overall but it is an impression I get reading a mere list there. The fact that you are a first generation college student adds interest and even your tiny rural town in Iowa might stand out when building a diverse student body.

I have no idea which schools you will get in. At most of the schools on your list, such fabulous students get rejected...and not cause they are not good enough. Some is merely quite UNpredictable here!!! What I can say with some assurance, is that you will surely get into some of these fine schools and end up with a few great choices, I bet! I have no idea which ones but it does sound like your researched which schools fit your desires.....and not merely prestige, as I read on here way too often.

I wish you much luck. You have a fine record and you will end up with some fine choices!
Susan

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Thank you. I appreciate getting a helpful evaluation from a professional. Some of the activities I'm in weren't available until my Junior or senior year...like, quiz bowls and We the People. One activity you have to be in the class--Italian Club--and I finished my four years--accelerated in 2. Other activities are newly available, we just started show choir, and others have been discontinued, the counselor decided to quit doing Honor Club. The only thing I have quit once I started was Volleyball because it was impossible to work, play and study AP classes all at the same time. But, still I appreciate that some of the ECs can look diffused.

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

bump

By Salisha (Salisha) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Hey no one responded to my post :O(

By Autodidact (Autodidact) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Got into Truman State University.....nine days after I sent the application. Nice, but not important. Time to wait and see what happens with the real colleges.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

It's probably a good thing that postings on this board are anonymous. If I were on a college admissions committee, I would not be favorably impressed by anyone who goes "bump, bump, bump." Winning favor involves a certain amount of just trying to be nice--even if it is contrary to one's nature.

Most posters to this board are hopefully trying to be helpful--and do not deserve to be harrassed for an opinion.

By the way, Dickinson is a very fine school. My dentist went there--and he is well-read, multi-faceted, witty, talented, successful... and nice.

I do not subscribe to the notion that there are any 'bad' colleges. A really good student can have a great learning experience anywhere. Some might argue that a bad student could go to Yale and become President, and the reasons for that will be debated for a long, long time. Personally, I don't think it's a coincidence that nearly everyone that has met George Bush thinks that he's... nice.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page