CHANCES AT IVIES

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: CHANCES AT IVIES
By Ivyhope (Ivyhope) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

I am looking into HYP and Columbia and Cornell for college and I'm wondering how these stats are -

SAT I 1490 (790m 700v)
SAT II: Math IIC 800, Math IC 800, Writing 790, Chemistry 770

GPA: 3.99 unweighted
Rank: my school doesn't rank but I am about 9/100 at a really good public school (SAT average about 1400)

EC's:
- Vice President of Spanish Honor Society
- JV Debate
- Model UN (Conferences at Yale and Brown)
- French Honor Society
- National Honor Society
- Spanish Tutoring
- Interact Club (Chairman of Funds)
- Some other clubs/organizations - nothing that important
- About 50 hours of community service

Thanks a lot,
Jonathan

By Ivyhope (Ivyhope) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

I forgot to add - no minority or legacy status

also, I might retake my SAT's, though I'm not sure

3 AP's this year and probably 3 next year, and I expect to do well on the tests

By Troy (Troy) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

First, you don't have to retake the sat (that score is good enough imo)

you should get into Cornell (as long as you have a decent essay and solid recs). Columbia is a toss up but if you have great recs and a great essay...I can see you getting accepted (depending on where you're from). HYP is a pipe dream.

By Ivyhope (Ivyhope) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

why are HYP only a dream? is there anything I should do to make it more possible?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

I think HYP are lottery tickets for you. Your EC's are underwhelming and I honestly have no idea what they'll make of your class rank. On one hand it's in the top 10 percent--barely--which seems to be the serious threshhold; otoh, if you use the Academic Index approach it kinda screws you; otooh, your combined test scores are just fine. Recs and essays may be important here. Let's see...I ballpark your AI at about a 219...which is decent lottery ticket territory.

The biggest problem is that you don't stand out: there are 37,419 kids with your academic profile and the exact same EC's, which make you appear solid, good...but not brilliant and not excessively dynamic.

By Ivyhope (Ivyhope) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

well, my school doesn't rank.. so that was just an approximation, and i dont think colleges will get the rank, so i don't think that's a problem... also, I did the academic index with my GPA (including A+'s its about 4.1) and it came out to an 8. the only thing i'm really doubtful about are EC's and SAT I Score...

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

you should get more involeved in volunteering. 50 isn't enough. In my state(md) they require 60 just to graduate from high school.
And i don't think you need to send them math Ic if you have IIc cuz then they'll see that you're just trying to show them more 800's i don't think they give a •••• about Ic if you already have IIc, although i might be wrong.

2 things that make HYP a dream is
1. Sports - you definitely need sports, anything will go, they don't need you to be a state champion, they just want to see that you do sports and are not a bookworm.

2. 3 AP's in a very good school is way too little. All the people i know who went to Ivy had 4-7 AP's both junior and senior years, 3 for junior year isn't enough, you should pick up on them in senoir year, plan to take 5-6.

I'm not sure i know what i'm talking about cuz i'm a hs sophomore, but my brother and his friends all applied to Ivy's (last year so they're freshmen); Some got in, some didn't. But i'm sure about the AP part, 3 is way too little (especially if you say you have such a good hs).
I mean if you have like 8 Ap's offereed then that's ok (mine has 22) but if you say it's a good school, then take more.
You might wanna retake SAT if this was your first time and if you know that you weren't just lucky and can do similar or better.

By Ivyhope (Ivyhope) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

well my school doesnt offer AP's in many things - I think there are a total of 10, and of those 10 I plan to take about 6 or 7

By Ivyhope (Ivyhope) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

also, i am part of the Columbia Science Honors Program, i was wondering if that would help as well

By Qwer (Qwer) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 12:46 am: Edit

i am currently a harvard student. i am assuming that you are a junior who has yet to apply. in my honest opinion, the three things that you can do to improve your chances are:

1) Ecs - you have to show some passion in atleast one defined area. tenacious students with passion and drive in high school are apt to continue their drive in college. that is the "potential" that the ad-com is looking for.

2) Essay - writing a great essay is not a simple thing. a couple of weeks does not really cut it. asking a high school teacher to read it over for corrections doesnt necessarily cut it either. very few people can actually write that "fantastic" essay. a superbly jaw-dropping essay may take some good students 6 months to write! there is a professor here (vendler) who took 2 years to write a 15 line poem! in essence, do not trust just anyone when evaluating your essay's worth. not even your school teachers...you need to polish it enough so that it will impress even a harvard writer. this sounds a bit pompous...i dont mean to be...in your mind, i think you know that not everyone who thinks they wrote a great college essay is correct about evaluating their performance.

3) SATs - improve your SATs. a 1490 is very low when looking at the bigger picture. although it falls close to the middle-half range...you should look at the system in which the statistics are gathered. for a freshman class of 1600, your score would probably rank close to 800 to 1000. think about it! there are some students here with extremely low scores - virtually all of them being recruited athletes and URMs. contrary to popular belief, legacies that i've known (i know of 50 alone in eliot house! - a statistically significant number if you think about it and develop a p-score) have higher scores, not lower ones. it should not surprise anyone that the children of harvard alumni are often afforded the best education and environment...thus can boast high scores. most non-recruited, non-URM, non-provost discretion students here are closer to the 75 percentile range...meaning very close to the 1590. although your 1490 is very impressive, it is still about 100 points shy of where your peers may be.

everyone has heard of that "kid" who got in with a 1450...i challenge anyone to come to campus and point him or her out to me (non-athlete or non-URM)! i've been here a while and have met lots of people but i have not met many "average" 1450 students. there is an olympic silver medalist down the hall from me. she scored a 1270 and proudly tells people that. her incredible athleticism and talent makes her a valuable asset to the harvard community. but statistically, how many 1550 students would it take to yield the harvard average? about 4 or 5?

By Austin_Powers (Austin_Powers) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 04:19 am: Edit

Qwer, what were your stats at the time you were admitted?

By Ivyhope (Ivyhope) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

anyone else have an opinion?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

My opinion is that there are other great schools out there other than ivies (no offense)...

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

UNC Chapel Hill ya'll!

By Thevolume (Thevolume) on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

cough cough...

someone's got some EXPLAINING to do cough cough

By Thevolume (Thevolume) on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

:-D COUGH!!

By Thevolume (Thevolume) on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 05:49 pm: Edit

so you make fun of people who use the word "ivy" eh?

By Thevolume (Thevolume) on Sunday, June 22, 2003 - 05:49 pm: Edit

hi "jonathan"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page