Chances for Gtown,WashU,Cornell, Univ Richmond, College of W

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Chances for Gtown,WashU,Cornell, Univ Richmond, College of W
By Faxmachine (Faxmachine) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Hey guys
I've posted before but I haven't had the greatest response. I would greatly appreciate if you could evaluate my stats and give me constructive criticism. Thanks.
I go to a pretty big Catholic school and I wanted know my channces at Gtown,WashU,Cornell, Univ Richmond, College of William and Mary, Rutgers, NYU

Frosh
not so great
all B+s and 2 As
Then I switched schools for personal reasons

All Honors
high math class for a soph(precalc)
All A/A+s except in B precalc
exec bd-french club
mock trial-exec bd
medical Club(will prob be on exec next year)
more clubs and ill prolly be on eec bd by next year

in addition i do tons of community service....ill prolly have 300 sumtin hours by next year
I am in a very active youth group at my friend's church and im not even catholic.
Our NHS is very selective....3.8/4.0 GPA and minimum of 50hrs of community service per year

Will take AP Physics and AP Calc AB in junior year
AP Chem,Bio,English, US hist, Calc BC in senior year - that's all they offer anyway

Jv Tennis 10th
most likely Varsity 11th,12th

SATs- 1430
SAT IIs - chem 710
writing 760
gonna take a couple more SAT IIs
what do y'all think?
ps- im indian and from NJ...i kno dat wont help

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Richmond, Rutgers, and CoWilliam & Mary all look either like safeties or fairly safe.

G'town, Cornell, NYU, and WashU all look like lottery tickets: you look as good as many people who get in and as good as many people who get rejected.

Good essays, recs, and interviews will all help.

Good luck. May Lahkshmi nod in your favor.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

No offence but,The "h" in Lakshmi is more of a redundancy.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I've seen it transliterated in at least three different ways; cf., transliterations from both Russian and Chinese. I admit, that in the latter cases, I have at least a smidgin of the underlying languages as a guide, moreso with Russian.

By Big_City_Boy (Big_City_Boy) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Lottery ticket at NYU? Are you kidding.. nyu is a lot less slective than than the other 3 that you named. NYU does not require much more than good grades and scores.. he/she is well above the average and that is adaquate. You dont need outstanding ECs or hooks to get into nyu, unless you are applying to tisch and that would consult your ability in whatever it is that your doing

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

On paper, you're right. Based on anecdotal evidence, some people with that profile are getting rejected.

To take a pair of schools, for 2002 the acceptance rate was 21 percent at G'town, 28 percent at NYU. That's still pretty selective.

My take is there aren't any absolutes at this level: it's probabilistic, with skewed bell curves, not deterministic.

He/she is attractive candidate...and less attractive candidates will be admitted...but neither guarantees his/her admittance.

By Big_City_Boy (Big_City_Boy) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Well yeah i agree about the 28 perecent but its kind of an unfair comparisson since nearly EVERYONE applies to nyu.. wahts it over 30,000? And yeah i have seen even higher qualified candidates rejected but i find it hard to believe that it was becasue the school did not want them. NYU wants to admit those students who they geniually belive will attend. Those high caliber bunch that are denied entrance, are assumed to be yearning for a better school, such as columbia which is just on the other side of town

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 04:00 pm: Edit

BCB, that's a plausible chain of thought but I doubt that many/any schools are doing much of the rejections along the lines of "they'll just go elsewhere." I'm not saying it doesn't happen at all but I think it's probably very overstated in current mythology.

Which is part of why I think Faxmachine is a lottery ticket: in the zone but can't tell for sure. Too many cross-currents affecting decisions.

By Rossler (Rossler) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Thedad, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm just curious, do you have any credentials with the whole college admissions process (like do you work for a school or something)? You seem to know what your talking about, but are you for real?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

No, I'm a phantasm. :)

Credentials, no. A ferocious quick study, yes; I've been in too many jobs where I have to be.

To give you an idea off topic, I have numerous clients. For years, if they had kids, I would ask what school(s) the kid(s) went to, what teachers were good, what they liked, what they didn't like. Sort of gently interrogating them without it feeling like an interrogation. As a result, I knew what schools I wanted, what teachers to try to get, etc., always in advance. Yeah, I guess I put the anal in anal retentive.

I also do some volunteer work at the high school's college counseling center and it's given me an opportunity to chat up a lot of college reps, better than a college fair because it's just one on one and in a low stress, low key environment before or after their presentation to students...and sometimes only one student shows up, so I can throw in questions for the student's benefit and get answers I'd like to know myself.

In a past life, I was a scratch journalist and I'm pretty good at interviewing people. The other day, I had lunch with a 30-ish Harvard alum...our mutual interest was UCLA football but I managed to work in some questions about Harvard. One quote sticks in my mind: "When I applied, I thought I was guaranteed admission with my background. I can't believe how clueless I was."

My wife is also a director-level employee of UCLA and over the years has picked up lots of stuff about the UC system, which, of course, becomes dinner table conversation.

I also read a lot and have a pretty good b.s. detector that's good at cross-checking assertions/opinions against other sources and assembling a fairly accurate composite picture...the journalism background again; be very wary of taking anything for truth based on one source.

So...nope, no credential. Though I'm willing to work without a net, posting stuff that someone will be sure to nail if I'm wrong. The trick to that is...be pretty sure you're right.

Btw, apropos of BCB's point about turning down students they think might go elsewhere, it would be a bad business decision: you want to take a chance on assembling the highest profile class you can.
You're not going to handicap yourself.

By Faxmachine (Faxmachine) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:59 am: Edit

anything else? anyone?
ok then:
To Thedad: In a way you are right. It is a lottery ticket. I'll just continue to work hard and try to find something that I can stand out with.
To BigcityBoy : Also you are right too. I genuinley want to attend NYU because I feel as if Ihave a shot there and its close to home and thats where I need to be.
Columbia sounds nice but I'm a realistic person and want to save my $60 application fee.
To anyone else: what other colleges should I apply to that are in the mid atlantic and DC/Virginia area?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:10 pm: Edit

If you like the D.C. area (Georgetown), what about George Washington? It's getting much more selective/rigorous due to trickle-down effect and if you like a stimulating urban environment as opposed to the bucolic rural scene (are my prejudices showing?), then I think it's worth considering.

My daughter and I were both surprised how much we liked it when we visited last April; we hadn't been expecting to like it that much at all compared to G'town. Sure, she'd rather go to G'town but GW has stayed on the list of 9 or 10, something of a demi-safety.

By Faxmachine (Faxmachine) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

I've thought about GWU but I don't know. However, I am going to DC for a couple weeks this summer so I'll defintley visit it. Btw, thedad - nice vocab

By Faxmachine (Faxmachine) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

bump

By Faxmachine (Faxmachine) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

bump...again

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page