Please Help.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Please Help.
By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

I am really stressed out about college.

In the 9th and 10th grade I lived in Florida, where I began the prestigious IB program. After 10th grade, my parents moved me to Texas. I am in the IB program here, but as Florida and Texas are on different grading scales, my school assigned arbitrary numbers for my grades and my GPA dropped from a 4.1 weighted to a 3.666 weighted. My GPA in Florida used to be a 3.666 unweighted!

Another problem is that now that I have switched schools, I find a major difference in grading. In Florida, my IB English II class was so tough that not a single person made an A. Here, you have to be a total moron not to make a 98 (which gives you the full points for an A). So, basically, my class rank has gone from the top ten to somewhere in the top 20%. :-(

In Florida, it was fairly obvious that I could get into the colleges that I was interested in. I am not interested in any of the Ivies; they do not have the programs I want. Now, I am not so sure about the type of school I can get into. I will complete the International Baccalaureate program. I will not try to explain my GPA, because that is clearly a mess, but I have two C's, five B's, and eleven A's, in all IB and Pre-IB classes. I was in marching band for 9th and 10th grade, and concert band for 9th, 10th, and 11th. (I am a junior currently, and I was not able to be in marching band due to the move.) I was in a local Symphony, also in 10th grade. I have taken private music lessons since I was six. I was an officer of French club, and I am currently starting up a chapter of Amnesty Intl. at my new school. IB requires 150 community service hours in your last two years, so I am set there.

I am really worried about how the move and a subsequent bout with depression (which affected my 10th grade grades), will change my chances of admission to the schools I want to go to.

I would really like to go to Wellesley, Colgate, Macalester, Mt. Holyoke, Smith, or Bryn Mawr. (In order of preference). I am really interested in Vassar, but I am afraid I will not get in. What do you think?

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Don't let it get you down man. I moved before High School started, so I can't relate to your situation. It'll be alright, don't worry. :)

By Blahdefrickenda (Blahdefrickenda) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:38 pm: Edit

keep it up!

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Can anyone rate my chances?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

have not a fear...

By Beasley (Beasley) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

kelly, You should get into those schools definitely with what you have ESPECIALLY if you start up that chapter of Amnesty;i started my own social activism club and colleges really like that. You sound like a really cool person and like we have a lot of things in common. I applied to Princeton RD and am still waiting to hear. I don't know if it's too late but does your new school weight your GPA's because if they don't than that can be why they translated your unweighted gpa over to your new school. although i can't say that im in exactly the same spot as you i can relate in a sense. i was supposed to be valedictorian at a hard private school in new hampshire but a girl moved into our school junior year when more ap's were available and she got a higher gpa b/c of the weights. i would have had to get straight A+'s to keep valedictorian. anyway, keep it up with the social activism stuff-- this world needs more people like you. if you have any more questions feel free to email me at prolife2323@yahoo.com. good luck. -dan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page