USC Marshall or NYU Stern....Your Opinions...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: USC Marshall or NYU Stern....Your Opinions...
By Jabz (Jabz) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Yo, I got accepted to USC Marshall the other day as a business major. I also applied to NYU Stern..but haven't heard from them yet. Anyhow, which school would you guys consider an overall better business school, and which school would you say is easier to get into (just so I could have an idea of whether or not I'll get accepted to Stern)...
By the way, I've noticed that a lot of ppl on this board underestimate how good of a college USC is...their business program is excellent (among the top 10, I hear)...and also it's said that most students who graduate from USC end up with a great job with a great salary...I hear the school and the alumni's really look after the undergraduate students...unlike many other schools, such as the UCs. Anyhow, please post your opinions.

By Ephnayllie (Ephnayllie) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Did you apply to USC by the December 10th scholarship deadline?

I believe that NYU Stern is statistically harder to get into than Marshall (with an average SATI of 1400 and avg GPA of 3.8-3.9 or so)

By Troy (Troy) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 01:23 pm: Edit

It depends what you want to do. NYU is much better if you want to get into investment banking in NY or get an east coast job. Keep in mind every other stern student wants to go into investment banking and competition is cut throat. If you want to live on the west coast and possibly work in entertainment, SC would be a good choice.

I know that NYU has a very good finance program. SC has strong programs in entreprenuership, accounting, and international business. You'll get a great job at either school if you have the credentials. The alumni will take care of you but it's up to you to get out there and network. If you end up going to sc, I suggest you declare a joint major. The Cinema-BUAD degree is a great program and the cinema school carries a lot of weight on your resume.

Anyway, go where you feel most comforable and happy.

On another note, did anyone participate in the marshall international case competition? I wish I was there to see the comp.

By Big_City_Boy (Big_City_Boy) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

You won't get any jobs from an undergrad business school, unless you are stock brokering, which you done even need a college degree to do. Your question shoudl be revised to: Which school will further enhance my chances of being accepted to a well known grad school; so i can make a good living after i get my masters

By Big_City_Boy (Big_City_Boy) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Just curous.. what were your stats

By Noclass (Noclass) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:37 pm: Edit

bump

By Troy (Troy) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:45 pm: Edit

BCB you're kidding, right? If you're the cream of the crop, you can work in consulting, ib, im, s&t, research, VC, and several other high profile jobs right out of college. And if you're a top performer (at a top firm), you can potentially make over 80k (over 100k during the boom) after your first year. Last time I checked that's a whole lot of money for 22 year old kid. Both USC and NYU will give you the opportunity to work for a 'prestigious' firm. And if you happen to become a star, you can then proceed to go to the mba school of your choice or get promoted.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page