Calc AB compared to Calc BC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Calc AB compared to Calc BC
By Supernova (Supernova) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

i'm currently in precalc h and trying to decide between taking ap calc ab and ap calc bc...

how much differently do the top school weigh these? i'm not really a big math person and i'm getting around an A- average in precalc h

i know that you cannot receive college credit for AB in many schools but i don't have too much of a problem with taking calc again in college... but how much better will it look to take BC...

also...what looks better:

an A-/A in AP Calc AB

or

a B/B+ in AP Calc BC

thanks

By Josh (Josh) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Actually, I'm pretty sure you have to take AB before you can even take BC. It's sort of a two-step process. Sort of like you have to take Algebra I before you can take Algebra II and so on. Because you get college credit for Calculus I if you pass the AB exam, but you get college credit for Calculus I and Calculus II if you pass the BC exam.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 07:06 pm: Edit

AB is basically one semester of college calculus done in one high school year; BC is two semesters of college calculus done in the same time; you do not have to take one before the other; in fact you seldom ever take both because BC would just repeat for much of a semester what you had in AB. With AB most schools will give you credit for one semester in college and with BC you get two. A few do not give credit for AB but then do so with BC. Some require that you score 5 on the AP test to get any credit for AB while at the same time requiring only a 4 to get two semesters credit with BC. BC looks somewhat better than AB on a transcript but then the mere fact you are taking calculus looks pretty good. I would take the one you feel comfortable that you can do.

By Quaggs (Quaggs) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

< removed -Admin >

By Supernova (Supernova) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

hmph i still never found out what quaggs said... i made a diff thread but its not here anymore for some reason

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Trust me, you don't wanna know what Quaggsy said. Just look at his posts at the review.com board...

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

wheres the board on that site?

By Supernova (Supernova) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

oh well what could he have possibly said? that i'm an idiot if i'm not getting an A+ in precalc? too bad im not asking for anyones opinion on me just their advice on what i should do here...anyway....anyone else?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

Have you asked your teacher how this is set up at your school? At some schools these are alternate choices with the BC proceeding faster to cover the extra material. At other schools it's sequential. Students take the AB exam one year, then study the additional material (the "C" stuff) and take BC exam the second year.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

One other thing - the BC includes an AB subscore. So if you would have made a 5 if you had taken the AB exam, and you only made a 3 on the BC exam, in theory your AB subscore on the BC exam should be 5. When you take the BC exam, the college gets both the BC score and the AB subscore.

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:07 am: Edit

how different is the AB test from the BC test?

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

BC is like ab expanded, when they grade the BC, they give an AB subscore. BC can be a little tricky, AB is cake

By Mudambip (Mudambip) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

My son studied his 9th grade in India and returned to California to complete his high school. He was asked to take a pre calculus course during summer in community college (2 1/2 months). After completing that course (with A grade), he was permitted to take calculus BC, and completed his calculus BC with "A" and passed his AP exam with "5", in 10th grade. He worked very hard and his teacher was very helpful after in answering his questions and coaching him after hours. You can finish the course, if you work hard. Good Luck to you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page