What do you all think?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: What do you all think?
By Phantesi (Phantesi) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Ok here's the stats:
SAT's V-730 M-650
SAT II's ic-690 Bio E-640 EngWri-770

I'm #10 in a class of 118 and my GPA is 99.4 weighted.

As far as extracurriculars go, I have nothing extraordinary. I do youth group, Student Council, NHS, and I'm in Who's Who and all that good stuff. I know that all of my previous info is below average for these places, but the thing is, I am a cancer survivor. Does anyone think that I have any chance of getting in to Cornell, Harvard, or Princeton? I have other options, these are just the 3 Ivies I applied to. Input appreciated!

By Beasley (Beasley) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

What type of cancer did you overcome?

By Phantesi (Phantesi) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. It was a 16th b-day present. ;-P

By Kelsoola (Kelsoola) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

I'd like to know the answer to this one too. I am also a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma survivor.

I have been in remission since I was 8 years old. I also attend and volunteer at a camp for kids with cancer and I'm training to run a marathon to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in December of 2003 (I'm currently a junior).

I have high test scores but my grades aren't great (3.7ish at a prestigious private school). Like Phantesi, my ECs aren't stellar or anything...no sports (except for a disastrous crew stint freshman year - don't even ask!), I tutor during the school year and teach during the summer at a summer program for underprivileged youth I went to when I was younger, I founded a club for public school kids at my school, member of Multicultural Alliance and some other clubs.

Is the cancer thing enough of a hook? Would the marathon/cancer thing impress college admissions officers? Thanks for a quick reply.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

It sounds like your HS is easy, your grades are excellent but your SAT scores give me the impression you are not Ivy League material. You EC is just average, try winning some essay contest or win some significant awards.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page