Chances for an Indian moslem at MIT, Cornell ...........

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Chances for an Indian moslem at MIT, Cornell ...........
By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 07:02 am: Edit

You must be wondering why I mentioned my relegion in the subject line, well, the reason is that I beleive there have never been any Indian moslem's represnted either at MIT or Cornell. And, I beleive that MIT may accept me for this diversity.

SAT I 720m 570v(verbal score does not "sucks" for me as I took it by preparing only for 10-15 days, and I know english only through movies & books......... harldy ever spoke........ if ever spoke it was only with teachers or lecturers)
SAT II 790 IIc 760 Physics
yeah, I know the third SAT II missing will hurt for my chances at Cornell but I did not write it deliberately as I wanted to apply MIT through "Option -II" that is only SAT-II and TOEFL are required
TOEFL 260/300 (essay rating 5.o/6.o, I beleive superb, though overall score aint that good)

At

International Talent Search Examination-35th rank
out of > 12000 top students selected from the whole of India and Russia

4th National Science Olympiad- 4th rank at state 140th at national(does not "suck" that much as the compettition was with thousands of bookworms, and I am not that a bookworm, though I can be one, when required)

National Level Science Talent Search Examination
214th rank overall (2nd rank in the mathematics section-which I beleive is my best achievement in mathematics)

National Talent Search Examination - 16th rank at state level, wrote at national level- but got no results........

Young Mathematician Contest- 15th rank/>2000
Young Scientist Contest- 28th rank/>2000 bookworms

wrote prety good essays( simple english...no hard vocab....infact no vocab!!....but straigt from heart and experience, very frank etc.)

Many other minor achievements, but got nothing like community service or work experience .........some blue cross work

The only hook for me in getting into MIT would be, I beleive, my being an Indian moslem, which has not at all been represented at it.

Though Cornell may not consider my diversit, I may get in because of my essays.

pleeeeeeaaaaaaase rate my chances

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

I'm Sorry, But being indian and Muslim does not constiute diversity in the admission officer's eyes... (I'm Indian myself). When they say diversity they look for mexicans, and african americans (URMS...).

Yet you have pretty decent stats, and you should be able to get into a good college...

Good luck

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 12:29 pm: Edit

take sat 1 again ;improve on your verbal;
that is a must;
have good ecs;though all academic;

which state from india are you?

By Zulu (Zulu) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

I'm an Indian Muslim (though I'm the pork eating beer drinking kind), and I sincerely doubt being one qualifies me for URM status in the applications process.

I live in Delhi. Where are you from?

By the way, "Moslem" is a ethnocentric british misspelling for "Muslim". The former dropped into disuse many years ago.

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

I am from Hyderabad(Andhra Pradesh)

sorry......... felt that "Firangis"(no offence) may like pronouncing 'Moslem' better than 'Muslim' ........ whatever ...... leave it

And one more important thing i forgot to mention above is that I require a lot of financial aid ........ or atleast a tuition waiver, without which I cant go to these 'places' ......

i am quite an atheist ........... I like Osho's teaching, though hardly know anything about him or his 'teachings'.......

Hey Zulu
You cant be a muslim if you are 'the pork eating beer drinking kind' ........ that is EXTREMELY not allowed in Islam....... how is it that you do it?............ might be you are bi-religious(or whatever you call it!)....is it?
and to which colleges are you applying?

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 01:49 am: Edit

nice to hear about a fellow hyderabadi on the forum!!
which school/college are u studying in.

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

Well, ubaid, u aren't going to get substantial financial aid from any of your schools. If that is your criteria, I am sorry but u better start searching for other schools which are less selective. And, no being a muslim will not increase your chances of getting in. And in fact, it may lead to complications with the VISA authorities as the US has become very sensitive after 9/11.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 04:11 am: Edit

I'll go with bangaloreboy on this one.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 04:16 am: Edit

It will be really difficult to get into MIT or even CORNELL for that matter,with aid,with your kind of SAT score.
Dude,seriously think of some safety schools.
I got into my safety school(Florida Tech)and they've given me a scholarship of 10 grand.
You should think of setting your sights slightly lower.

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 05:37 am: Edit

Yeah, definitely, MIT has a lot of geniuses and getting into MIT itself is a big task for an international student+ if u r looking for substantial financial aid, its virtually impossible.

Instead, if u need the financial assistance, it would be much wiser to opt for a less selective school where u would be one of the bright and outstanding students, so that your level of achievement would be recognised. Thus, this would give u a much better chance of receiving financial aid.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

if anyone has any clue agout what is important for isc,[physics,chem.,math,economics],please post.
need help.even hints will suffice.

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 01:04 am: Edit

No clue gogirl...need some clues my self!

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 06:45 am: Edit

Oh yeah, 'Timepass' and 'Bangaloreboy', I definitely know that chances at these two universities are very less, but, 'Que Sera Sera', what will be will be. So I applied to these universities, like everybody else, because they are my 'dream' universities......... well........... whatever ...........

and being a muslim might hurt only when not going to such 'big universities' ........... i dont think 'they' are so biased to plainly refuse me VISA if I get there .............. oh yeah, 'If I get there' ...... thats another thing!.......

So as a back, I have kept Texas A&M University, the cheapest among the top ten engineering (graduate) ranking according to US News. Another backup is University Of Houston, which is in Houston, of course, where I have a lot of relatives............

if 'America' completely "fails" I have kept another back, that is International University Bremen, Germany.

HEY GOGIRL ........... I am in St. Patrick's Junior College, Nallakunta, actually Krishnamurthy's IIT-JEE coaching institute "Mega Study Circle" - you probably know it............
And I know you are from Hyderabad Public School ........... so when are we meeting!(of course, for casual talk)

HEY ZULU- where r u!!

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 09:04 am: Edit

OH BOY!!!!!
gosh?!!!
how do you know i am from hps?
and aren't you supposed to be aiming for iit[the indian ones;not chicago].

which school were u in?

By Timepass (Timepass) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

Aditya,I wanted to know generally,in Bishop Cotton's,do they give you notes and stuff like that for English Poetry.I wanted to know the general trend,do you write your own notes,or what.Just lemme know.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:52 am: Edit

And Aditya ,I'm Rohan.by the way from the other posting,Remember...

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

hey rohan. well, firstly we don't have poetry, instead we're doing Charles Dickens. But, our teacher does give us some notes and important points. But I just occassionally refer to them. I don't know abt poetry though. Hows the board prep coming along?

By Zulu (Zulu) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Hi,

I've applied to every non-techy college under the sun.

About the pork and beer thing....
It's fairly easy, Ubaid; pork tastes a great deal better when you know your not supposed to have it. And beer just makes me really happy, so I don't have a problem with it!

Who on this board is from BC? Do you know Siddharth Mukerji?..... sad about his sister...

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

well aditya;

but you must surely be doing tempest and stories;
have they told you anything in school about them i.e.,the important ones;considering the exam is on monday.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

As of now,I've finished Tempest and done 14 of the poems,just going to start on Stories from East and west.
English is my waterloo,so I'm spending maximum time on it.
What abt you

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 01:04 am: Edit

Yeah, we are doing tempest and stories. Stories supposedly there r 5 important stories which r likely to come. Engine,Counterparts,Jimmy,Devoted,Enormous Radio. What about u greeshma and rohan? Any idea abt Physics or chem!!!!!???

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

There's no way you're getting into MIT with that SAT math score. I don't care what your ethnic status is, the test scores must also be there. Theoretically, math has no language other than numbers and symbols common in every country, so if you were good enough at math, you'd get an 800 regardless of your English skills. I go to school with one of the top math geniuses in the nation, and his brother is similarly excellent at math, and he was waitlisted last year at MIT. He is going to Harvard now. As for Cornell, I'm not sure about your chances, depends on which college you are applying to. Crappy scores, simplistic essays, and lots of financial need are not going to help your cause--although I've heard that universities are eager to attract really fantastic international applicants, as your accomplishments in competitions seem to show. I hope that you didn't qualify every contest with such things as "I'm not a bookworm" on your applications--admissions doesn't want to hear excuses, they just want to see the results.

By Mrme (Mrme) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 03:32 am: Edit

hey...i noe all the indians who've got into harvard the last 3 years...who's this guy ?

By Timepass (Timepass) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 04:00 am: Edit

Not bad,I had the same stories in my mind.I have absolutely no idea with regard to physics and chemistry.They really don't say much at our school you know.

By Creedthang (Creedthang) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 07:43 am: Edit

hey guys
i indian justfinsihing my 11th from bombay.
i got a sat score of 1450
760 math
690 verbal
i am giving writing and math2c in may and physics and literature iin june.
i should get an average of 700+ in all of them.
my brother is studying at the university of michigan ann arbor in his 2nd yr of his undergrad studies.
im planning to apply early d to wharon business school.im also applying to like the all the other ives and to berkeley,michigan(my safety) and university of virginia.

basically what i want to know is how u guys r listing your high school grades .
i mean consider this.i got like a 90.4% on my icse exam and in the 11th i ended up gettin all my marks in the 60s and 70s which are pretty good for indian standards.lots of peoples marks are the same and all these people are as smart as me with 90% in their boards and above 1400s in sats.

feedback appreciated

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:10 am: Edit

HEY GOGIRL
I know that you are in HPS, from the other posts on the board (I think "Chances for an Indian at some elite public school")
Yeah, I had the aim of IIT for the about one and a half year, but since the past four-five months 'this all'(applying to MIT, so SAT etc.) have very badly spoiled my chances at it.

What about our meeting?

HEY ZULU
pls tell me your stats.

HEY KALITIHA

"There's no way you're getting into MIT with that SAT math score."
and
"Theoretically, math has no language other than numbers and symbols common in every country, so if you were good enough at math, you'd get an 800 regardless of your English skills"

Firstly, I am not applying to MIT with that SAT I math score, only a stupid or greatly rich will, and I had not sent the scores of it, as I wrote it after SAT II.
I am applying through OPTION II, available to non-native english speakers, which requires only two SAT II's and TOEFL. I think my SAT II scores are pretty 'acceptable' for MIT. As for Cornell, let's see....
Secondly, I wrote the SAT II's with less than 70% (or even lesser) of the knowledge of the topics of it. Though the SAT brochure says "you are not expected to know everything", atleast the ones getting 800's will know, and my decision to apply to MIT and writing SAT's was so sudden and fast that even now I am not able to catch a breadth and analyse and understand why the hell, what the hell been going for the past four-five months. And I am still in 12th (age 16), so a lot of syllabus was unfinished when I wrote these
SAT II's..............
And I got so low SAT I scores because I was extremely tired and could hardly sleep the day earlier ........... you can understand it from my SAT II's, which I wrote about a month earlier......

"I don't care what your ethnic status is, the test scores must also be there. "

I got this whole Idea of "ethnic status" from a Sriganesh Lokanathan of MIT, an undergrad, who said to me that he is actually from Sri Lanka, but, as he was living in Pakistan since many years, at the time he applied to MIT, the admission officer got 'intrigued' ( as he says ) by his 'diversity' and offered him admission though his SAT scores were not as good as others applying to MIT. And so I applied, hoping mine will also the similar case .........

"I hope that you didn't qualify every contest with such things as "I'm not a bookworm" on your applications--admissions doesn't want to hear excuses, they just want to see the results. "

gosh!!
are we allowed to write that ....... if yes, I would have sure written it!!!

Just Joking.

No, I did not write that, and dont know why I wrote it here ........ I tried to correct it but the half an hour deadline was over by then........ by the way, arent the results pretty competitive or OK? ....... no one commented on that......

Lastly, are you from MIT admissions office?! (you sound like one)

Thanks a lot for your comments "Joanna Nicole Grillas".

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

creedthang;

you have a good score in sat.

are u doing your isc;just improve your%a bit.
however,if your not applying for fin.aid at wharton then u will easily get through.

a guy from my school got into upenn with 1410in sat1 and around 2200-2250 in sat2.
if he could get through then it won't be a problem for u.

however,could u please post your brother's stats.
i applied to university of michigan,ann arbor.got a likely;ut waiting for an authentic reply.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:04 am: Edit

A minor correction,The guy you are talking about got a 1480 and not a 1410.
I really don't know much about Wharton so I really can't comment.
As for listing the high school grades,Well what I did was I sent in my cumulative reports for the 9th,10th,11th and my 12th mid term.
My condition is slightly similiar to yours because I got a 90 odd in my Board exams,and 84% in the 11th.The only plus in my favour was that I sent in my 12 th mid term report card,and there I got an 88% percent so it sort of covered up for my 11 th standard fiasco.
If you are applying early decision,just try to improve your marks for your 12th 1 st term or your mid terms and send it in the order that I mentioned above,i.e 9th,10th,11th,12th.
Hope This helps and if this is not the answer to your question then all this has been a big waste of time.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:41 am: Edit

You're right, your SAT II scores are good; I didn't realize you weren't using your SAT I scores in the application process; You're only 16? That's cool, considering American applicants are at least 18 usually. Has it been really difficult trying to apply internationally? I thought about Oxford, but the deadline was in October. So, no, I'm not admissions--I'm just stuck in the eternal process of trying to be admitted. And thank you for posting my complete name online.

By Zulu (Zulu) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

My SAT one score is 640 in Maths, and 790 in Verbal.

People on this board should quit harping on SAT scores. It is, after all, personal information!

Best of luck to you, Unbraid, and to every one else on this board.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Anyone have ANY idea bout whatz coming in ISC for Discovery of india?? :(

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

physics - according to my teacher - michealson's experiment/milikans oil drop...any idea bout salts (chem pracs) ?

By Mrme (Mrme) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

88 % ? in skool... holy ••••....

our topper used to get 68 % in skool exams.. less in 11-12...and they used to get 96-97 in the boards....

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

well, SAT scores are not the only criteria for admission to good universities. The SAT score is actually just used to measure your "eligibility" to even be considered i feel. It actually depends on which college you're applying to. MIT and CALTECH emphasise more on Maths, and don't give much of a damn abt English. On the other hand HYPS want a "complete" all round student.

Kalitiha, i can understand the frustrations and turmoil your going through regarding these admission procedures. I think the whole procedure needs to be redone or something.

Well, I got 92% in ICSE, did pretty well in 11th with 90% and bombed in 12th....well...i have the my last chance to prove myself. My school is on a high and my principal is on cloud 9 after being rated the best school in India by outlook magazine. I'm sure that he paid a bribe or something. The worst part is that he's bugging the living hell outta us and not allowing us to peacefully study!:(

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, February 28, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

dude apply to a less selective private or a public school. Say Univeristy of Maryland. Their Math, Physics and Computer science rank in the top 15 in the country. MIT is extremely hard to get into. Still you should apply but definitely get some lower-class safety schools

By Timepass (Timepass) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

This time,I'm sure we'll get a question on Bunsen's grease-spot photometer.Michelson's has already come a couple of times.

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 01:28 am: Edit

i highly doubt michelson's expt is gonna come. bunsen's photometer is probable and my teacher said the 2 magnetometers are pretty important as well.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 03:27 am: Edit

88% is no big deal;
i got a 93.4% in one of our prefinal;
moreover,
"timepass"-did you happen to talk to that Bhartiya guy of Dartmouth?just let me know.....

as for physics,i have a vague feeling that transistors in semiconductors is going to be asked;if it hasn't been asked last year.bunsen grease spot is important;and lensmakers formula,compound microscope,astronomical telescope are probables[just instinct]

any clues about chemistry?

By Zulu (Zulu) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:49 am: Edit

Gogirl,

This Bhartiya guy was supposed to interview me in Delhi, but he then decided to disappear and not get back to me. His mother, Shobana Bhartiya, owns the Hindustan Times, by the way.

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 08:45 am: Edit

HEY KALITILHA
beleive it or not ........... I received an email from Cornell, just yesterday, asking me to send my 10 th grade finals result courier now !! ........ so, yes the international applicarion is so very tough that even until now I am unable to catch a breath, sit calmly and start preparing for my finals, which are this month, and I still panting after just posting the letter ........ have heard of IIT, the Indian ones? Though the application is not tough at all, the admission for undergraduates is probably the toughest in the world so tough that even for the locals the accpetance rate is only 1.5 % !! ....... and here people prepare for it day and night for atleast two years, usually three years, sometimes even six years (I know a boy, Bhaskar Aditya, who last year got a silver medal at IMO , has been preparing since six years for IIT-JEE !!) ......... dont know about international acceptances here.........

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 09:01 am: Edit

he disappeared!!??
not that i would have come all the way to delhi to talk to him, considering the fact that the boards are starting from monday;but i wouldn't hurt to talk on phone.
from the earlier posts ,it looks like you are aiming for liberal arts,zulu?

By Zulu (Zulu) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 10:28 am: Edit

He didn't literally disappear. He just didn't return my phone calls after sending a letter to my school asking all Dartmouth applicants to get in touch with him.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:42 am: Edit

Gogirl,

I talked to Priyavrat Bhartiya. Nice person, nice office and everything. They always start off in the beginning by saying that the Interview counts very little and according to Hernandez, they're right.

Ubaid,

I'm from Delhi, applied option II to MIT (270 TOEFL, since 1290 SAT) last year, got a negative response
This year, raised my SAT to 1500, decided not to apply to MIT 'coz of the extreme emphasis on math, now applying to other colleges which incorporate my other more liberal interests, though I might have had some kind of shot at MIT.

TO NO ONE IN PARTICULAR,

How do the admit letters come in generally: FEDEXed or posted? Posted letters would take like ... weeks!!

Hey Aditya, you got in, how did you get yours? I know that rejects come slowly in the mail.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:46 am: Edit

Zulu,

You never gave me that info I requested such a long time ago. Can I email you, or is that a faka adress? Just tell me now...

By Zulu (Zulu) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Yea, that email add is real.

What information? Email me.

By Creedthang (Creedthang) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

hey go girl
well basicaly im not from an isc board.i was in an icse board tillthe 10th and the shifted to the hsc boards which is the government board.
i was wondering whether i could list my marks which are above 60% as A grades cuz here in india a 60% is considered a first class.

well my brother got into ucla,university of southern california and university of michgan ann arbor.got rejected at berkeley.

finally accepted ann arbor tho.

he got a 1330 on his sats .610 verbal 720 math.
630 writing,730 math 1c,660 chem.
86% in his 10th boards.
a 60% roughly in his 11th and 12th hsc exams.

lots of bs on ecs but they accepted it.
no financial aid.
yea thats about it.
good recs.

about the guy that got into upenn.he had a 1410 score rite?
he got accepted for engineering or at the wharton business school?

and which city r u from?
and which board do u belong to?

later

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

HEY KK02
yes, I may get a negative response because of OPTION II ........ well ........ whatever ..... but dont the other things like essays recom. etc also count ......... may be I have a lesser or better shot than you because of this ...... lets see .. just two weeks to go and we will know .... If I dont get this year I will sure try to improve my SAT I score like u did and would aim to get 800's in atleast three of the five SAT's to have a better shot at MIT......

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 01:50 am: Edit

Well, KK02, the acceptance letter i received from Stanford, had a huge "CONGRATULATIONS" sign written on the cover. Sadly, by then I had already received an email notification that i had been admitted, imagine being kept in suspense and suddenly u feast your eyes on that fat letter.

Usually acceptance letters are fat envelopes and rejection letters are business type small envelopes!

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 02:56 am: Edit

creedthang,

the guy in upenn applied ED and no financial aid;
but i think he applied for international studies or business studies-not sure which one;but probably a major in one and minor in the other.

however,if u have a decent essay;good test scores [which u do];and say top 5 in the class then u could probably get in with a bit of luck.

is hsc SO tough?i was under the illusion that isc was the toughest to score high percentages.

i am from hyderabad ;going to write my ISCenglish 2[literature ]paper tomorrow.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 03:49 am: Edit

Hello Aditya,
I specifically want to know whether the fat envelope was sent by 1) Post or 2) Courier (Fedex, UPS, Overnite Mail).

Best of luck for your exams.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:49 am: Edit

Good luck to all!!! (isc/cbse/hsc...)

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:51 am: Edit

o btw just a doubt (tempest).. who is the rabble? the spirits right? juno/ceres/iris???:)

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:13 am: Edit

"the rabble"refers to the people/spirits in the masque viz.,ceres[ariel];juno and iris and others involved with the masque.

all the best.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 08:24 am: Edit

thanx.. i thought so too, just that my teacher told us it was *ahem* caliban stephano and trinculo!!! she isnt normally wrong.....so...
thanx

By Geezy (Geezy) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 05:13 am: Edit

bump

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 05:20 am: Edit

hey people ,

you have been saying that it is impossible for me to get into these two universities, MIT and Cornell with the financial aid I require.......... but, arent admissions here needblind? ......... that is they do not see your ability to pay while giving u admission..... didnt you know that? ......... and do you know about a girl named Nidhi( or Nidha), from Hyderabad, who went to MIT recently, got not only got 100% financial aid but also got a tickets for her parents to leave her at MIT and return ? ....

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 06:58 am: Edit

ummm btw MIT is need blind, but cornell is not.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:22 am: Edit

ubaid

please elaborate on this nidhi person and post her stats.

by the way,how did u all do english paper2?

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 09:13 am: Edit

Umm, not as well as I would have wished. What about u?

By Timepass (Timepass) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:51 am: Edit

My paper rocked.Though that's my opinion,How much I get is entirely at the descretion of the evaluator.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:52 am: Edit

DISCRETION

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 11:49 am: Edit

uh...
Cornell is need blind...
I emailed them...
And that's what they told me...
They admit number of applicants whom they are not able to support financially...
If Cornell isn't need blind, then I wouldn't have been wait listed with 780math 520verbal and also being Korean...

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:24 pm: Edit

ummm one second..as far as i kno and have heard, cornell is need blind only to US citizens. Not to international applicants. R u sure about ur info?

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, March 03, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

uh...
I'm pretty sure...
Cornell is need blind...
That's what it says on the faq lists...
and yes, it is for international student...
But the aid is offered to very few people.

Or do I have the wrong information....
hmmm...
It's too late to make changes anyway...

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:43 am: Edit

timepass,

you make me feel SOOOOOO..insecure.
paper was ummm... i don't know..seriously.
tomorrow ,is chem.pracs,any hints?

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 05:46 am: Edit

any ideas about the salt? sheesh that stuff fReAkS me out..

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 06:09 am: Edit

I dont know much about Nidhi except that she is Hyderbadi, and ......... her stats ........ dont faint!!! ........... she got 800 in all the five SAT's !!!!! ............ though not 100%, i am 90% sure about this because I heard it from a friend who is also applying to MIT ( more about him in the next post..) ........... why dont you directly email her and ask, her email addres is:

nidhi@mit.edu

or go here :

http://web.mit.edu/macgregor/www/entries/j-entry/nidhis.html

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 08:37 am: Edit

Hey, any isc ppl, tell me, did u write the report today as normal/newspaper?

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 08:40 am: Edit

umm just noticed from a previous post about IIT (india)...international acceptees are thro SAT 2... they have 2400/2400
but its not a good idea for anyone to come thro iit this way. U go thro that way, and ull find urself attacked by half the iit class cuz they think u havent worked half as much as they have. well...they are right. U really really really have to slog it out for iit(indian). harder than any other instituition to get into, most definately.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:41 am: Edit

The rocking thing was for English 2,I really don't know which paper you're talking about,though from what I gather you're talking about English 1,that went pretty well too.

Chermiel,
I started off with the topic sentence as in the newspaper,but from thereon in it was all a big BS story,and then signed off with how it is important to install security measures so that such untoward incidents don't take place.
Now,whether you call it normal or newspaper,it's really upto you to decide.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 09:51 am: Edit

uuuuuuh im not so good with classification i guess. and yes i was talking abt English Paper 1. i asked cuz i ended up doing two reports (sheesh!) one newspaper and one normal... basically not too much difference except that the newspaper one is shorter and more curt, and the starting, adn the sign with "pti reports". half my class did newspaper and the other half normal.

By Creedthang (Creedthang) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

by applying for financial adi do your chances of gettin in get screwed up in any way.
i mean if u can pay the full amount but would certainly not mind getting aid do u apply for aid or not

is upenn (wharton that is)need blind??????

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Hmmm.. well it depends creedthang.. they say that it does get messed up, ur chances taht is. But the way I look at it.. if they want u they take you, whether it means aid or not. but if u think you are a borderline case,..yes it does kill ur chances.
Upenn is not need blind for international students as per my knowledge. I think more colleges are going to be turning needblind to internationals soon because it means better students. In fact even stanford had that controversy. They feel they are loosing better students to MIT because MIT is need blind.

The only (as far as i kno) truely need blind colleges for internatoinals are: Harvard, Williams, Yale, Princeton, and MIT. I dont think any other college is need blind. But as i said, i still think,... if they want u they will take u. And belive me its not cuz of sat / marks only. A lot of stress is laid on ur essay (the most important part or ur app) and i think ur ecs. Otherwise no chance of schol for me, esp from Rice.

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 03:45 am: Edit

Hey ppl
even International University Bremen (IUB), Germany, is needblind ........... though not any of you might be trying for Germany ....... as I need a 'lot of finanacial aid' I applied, because "we are committed to providing full financial help once the student is admitted" was written on the brochure .......

What are your opinions about Germany and it's education?

I think German education is one the best and highly recognised all over the world ....... and the country is beatuiful .....

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 04:45 am: Edit

hey ISC ppl, what were the radicals today in chem lab? All of us in my class got totally different radicals!!!!!!!!!!!!
yeah germanany is opening up, but i thought u need to kno the language?

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 06:49 am: Edit

Hey ppl sorry but i've been busy with these damn board exams! But phew, luckily I got everything on the chem pracs paper!!!:).....The salts were Carbonate, Sulphate, Zinc and Magnesium...Titre Value-19.6:)......yay!!!! woohooo! and no Veena, sorry but we didn't get anything "confidential" before hand except the titre value.....

By Timepass (Timepass) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 07:13 am: Edit

Chermiel,

How did you have the time to write two reports,I could just about complete my paper in time.
I too got the exact same thing and the organic bit was phenol and glycerol.

Did any of you receive anything from Distinguished Alumni Global young leaders conference,there's a whole lot of BULL about me being "nominated to represent India" in Washington D.C. and New York City,for my outstanding academic abilities.*sheesh*.

I know Greeshma got one,so did another friend of mine,so I'd really like to knoww how eemed" this opportunity is.

Bye.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 07:14 am: Edit

forgot the "st e" in esteemed.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 07:39 am: Edit

heard quite a bit about Germany and this international university of breman...

apparently,one needs to be very fluent in german.

besides,it is no big deal to get full aid in Germany b'cos,higher education is nearly free for anyone in Germany.

However,if you are going to Germany,be prepared for some racial discrimination;corect me if i am wrong but this is first hand information from a family friend.

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:46 am: Edit

Yeah TIMEPASS
even I got the same '••••••••' letter just now...
thats the latest thing that knocked me off the ground .... the letter is pretty impressive ........ are you gonna go? .......... is it worth it?

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:47 am: Edit

HEY GOGIRL
generally, for Germany you need to be fluent in German as the of instruction is German ........... but language of instruction at IUB is only English (however, I will try to have basic knowledge of German before going-if I go ) ....... though many institutions in Germany are free, this University isn't (tuition fee is around 15,000 Euros per year!!)

yeah you are right about the damn racial discrimination there ....

By Timepass (Timepass) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:27 am: Edit

I decided against going,depends actually,if it happens to be somewhere close to August,then I'll go because I'll be going to the Illinois Institute of Technology,so I can sort of merge the two programs.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:32 am: Edit

the scales of justice
tip and sway
finally tottering
to an invisible fall
...mourned by no one..

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:04 pm: Edit

our school got that Alumini global youth invitation also and my principal has asked me to go. but i declined the offer as i didn't wish to take the long journey. i'll be happier to go once n for all in September.

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

HEY GOGIRL

have you mailed nidhi? if you get any reply and if you can - please post it here so that I and others will know more about her ...... did you ask her whether - what I heard about her is true (the 800 in five SAT's and the aid matter)?

By Timepass (Timepass) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 03:49 am: Edit

Chermiel,
the meaning of that would be.....

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 04:17 am: Edit

well such writing is generally is better left un-explained. Make what u want to of it....

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 07:35 am: Edit

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:45 am: Edit

ubaid ,
i haven't mailed Nidhi;will probably do so this weekend.having boards.

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 04:49 am: Edit

hey ppl
I wanted to tell you of my friend who is also applying to MIT, and only MIT!, because he is 100% ... 101%.... 110% ......no no no .... 200% sure of getting into MIT !!!:

SAT II 1520/1600
TOEFL 260/300

no talent search or olympiad awards .....
but was literary head when in school....
requires full financial aid .......

and why he thinks he will get into MIT?
bcoz he says that he has made some theories concerning scpace and 6-D geometry ...... and he (as he says) had a superb interview .....

what do you think are his chances?

he had also written SAT I - 1210 (710m 500v)

hey ppl
did i tell u about my interview?
no.....
-ok, it was in Bangalore with Mr. Vikram Kirloskar ,(Veena and Aditya must be knowing him)
-i went alone to Bangalore by a bus, which was a 25 hours ride (to and back from Bangalore )..........I went alone because he suddenly asked me for interview (just two days before interview) and there was nobody to accompany me as my parents were out-of-station..
-it was about 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours long
(during the interview his P.A. - i think, came and consumed about half an hour)
-just before going he really appreciated me for coming to the interview so far ...... and all the 'good etiquette' ......

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 05:02 am: Edit

well ubaid,
i really don't know.theories on geometry...ummm..interesting;
however,mit is extremely competetive;but if he is the genius he makes himself out to be;then he could get through;well,there are exceptions everywhere ,aren't they?

i haven't met any EC;infact i didnot get one.
but interview hardly counts towards admission.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 05:30 am: Edit

Well,you're wrong there,for MIT atleast,I think interviews do hold some kind of water.Tulika,an acquaintance of mine,she's graduating this summer from MIT,told me that about 80% of her friends had gone in for the interview.She didn't have one herself.But ultimately it boils down to the luck of the draw.

By Creedthang (Creedthang) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 08:20 am: Edit

ok out there
does anyone know whether the us government is letting indian international students stay there to work.
i heard its really tough.
i know two guys who have been there for a year and havent got jobs.one guys a business major and the other guy an engineer.

i alos heard that companies are not allowed to hire an international student unless no american citizen is qualified to do it.
well that sux cuz im looking to work in the us so i could pay for my post grad afterwards.
salaries in india arent exaclty a big bang for your tution money.

peace

p.s-my pussys burning!

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:28 am: Edit

ummm correction, im not from banglore. Im from chennai! and no i dont know whoever whoever.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

ok i'm gonna post some messages just cuz i want to see apost w/over 100 messages

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

blah

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

blahblah

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

blahblahblah

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

1 more to go

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

the magic number
100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
THis post has officially 100 messages. yay

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

creedthang,

well ,i guess the job problems are a result of the global recession.however,i can assure you of one thing :you won't be unemployed if you graduate from wharton.

it is a sad thing ,but there are plenty of unemployed /underemployed indians who despite being engineers/MBA's from india are struggling to gain good paying & satisfying job in theUS.

and besides you may be too overqualified to get a proper job in india.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Friday, March 07, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

and one more thing,
there are bound to be campus selections for jobs;
so before u graduate itself take a job;get a working visa[i think H1].
this way u can get a good paying job;and a bright future is assured.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:33 am: Edit

Umm, Id oppose that Gogirl, a friend of mine did go to wharton, and though she is employed now, she had a good deal of trouble finding her job. She said that, when u graduate out of a college like wharton, there are so many people areound you who are just as good as you are, and hence it becomes a disadvantage to be an international, cuz the office needs to take more trouble to get u the work permit / visa. They arent really opposed to it, but its just a little additional trouble. And I also know (indirectly) one more girl who returned from USA and took a job here, i think in hydrabad..not sure.... and had a starting salary of Rs60,000 which is pretty damn good for indian standards.

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 01:36 am: Edit

yeah i know who vikas kiloskar is...a really nice guy...lives on cunnigham road....he took my interview as well...Isn't there anyone in Hyderabad!!!!!!

By Creedthang (Creedthang) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:02 am: Edit

the average starting salary in 2001 was 53,000$.

before u apply for an mba degree u need at least 2-3 yrs work experience and lots of money to pay for a tution.

im looking to pay for my postgrad studies by myself.
not too sure an indian salary would be able to cover tution fees of over 60,000$.
clipart{cry}
p.s-the lakers rule.

By Creedthang (Creedthang) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:41 am: Edit

anyone know of any ecs or clubs which i could get credit for or certificates.

like national goodwill foundation or something like that.

yea.
and is there anyone out there is a non isc no ib student who has an hsc exam.
please could u list your 11th and 12th grades.
mine sux horse dick!

im just praying that admission office doesnt look too closely into the grades for 11th and 12th yr.
and one last thing
if u get a 60% can u list it as an A grade cuz in india a 60% + is considered a first class pass.
btw -60% is decent for hsc.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

CreedThang,
Are you from Calcutta,well even if you aren't it doesn't make a difference.My friend was telling me that hsc is freakin' tough and a 60% is actually equivalent to an 85% or more in ISC so that's an amazing percentage.

Bangaloreboy,
No,we don't have an EC in HYD,in fact the EC I got was from Bangalore too.His name was Chacko Kovoor(I'm really bad at spelling!).Though I could'nt manage to go.I spoke to him n the phone though.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:10 am: Edit

Btw i meant Rs.60,000 per month... !

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:12 am: Edit

Ur right, it still wont cover the postgrad studies.. but otherwise i think Rs.60k per month is ok...

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:22 am: Edit

frankly,a salary of rs.60,000 after graduating from a top class american university is no big deal.

a relative of mine passed out of national law school,bangalore;apparently ,he topped.
well,he got an initial job offer of 1,50,000 per month.no american degree or anything...
but a damn smart guy.

just shows that it takes brains and luck to get a good job offer-doesn't have to be an ivy league education...

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 06:12 am: Edit

WOW... well thatz amazing..now im wondering why i should go to USA but seriously... i havent seen salaries like that over here! I still think that 60k per month is pretty decent.

But as everyone has been telling me... go to USA but dont have your heart set on working there. Jobs are hard to find, and though there is still recruitment of the bright, one should still be prepared to come back if the situation seems taht way.

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:05 am: Edit

wow, its great to see my topic crossed over 100 posts

thank u all ppl

i just ate a yummmmy biryani ....... i will sure miss the taste of my biryani by my mother if I go to USA ......... now I dont want to go to MIT!!!

HEY BANGALOREBOY
yeah, we dont have any EC stayin in Hyd, ...... u know - first I was asked to go to Mumbai for the interview ... but, as it was too far for me moreover the guy (the Mumbai EC) was not interested in interviewing me, I requested the MIT ppl to give me another EC nearer - whence the interview was fixed with Mr. Vikram Kirloskar ...

hey let me tell you about journey for the interview -

I reached Bangalore by bus on tat mornin at bout 8 am .... it was a twelve hour bumpy ride!.... walked bout a mile to a small hotel ... had a small meal there .... then i called Mr. Vikram who asked me to be present at his house sharp at 10 am ..... it was 8:30 by then ......... then I took an auto and asked him to take me to the destination ...... the autowalla was cool - really cool ..... the whole ride was superb - bangalore is really cool - the weather too .... then after reaching Cunnigham road sometime was spent in searching Mr. Vikram's appartment ..... by then it was 9 am .... I was there an hour earlier! ... so I just roamed around ... it was really great roaming around in the posh streets .... around 9:15 I went to an internet cafe and spent a half an hour there .... at 9:45 I started back for the Mr. Vikram's house .... I reached there five minutes earlier .... the interview was great - and interviewer too ........ it was about noon that the interview was over ........ I had to spend seven hours more - the time at which my ride back to hyderabad was booked ........... wil continue in the next post ............. too tired now

By X41x (X41x) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:46 am: Edit

you SPEAK gujurati?

kemcho, taru nam su che??

By Cru (Cru) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

you guys gotta be kidding me...
what?
$60,000 per month for first-year pay?
and what?
$150,000 per month?
You guys gotta be kidding...
Maybe you just made the mistake of adding an extra zero...
But, if it is true, it this for businessman.?
what about engineers?
How much would engineers make on their first year?

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 04:18 am: Edit

cru,
u must surely be mistaken;because it is not in dollars but rupees;
besides$1=Rs.47/48.
so 1,50,000 $-GOSH!!!!that too in india is absolutely unimaginable.

By Timepass (Timepass) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 04:21 am: Edit

Cru,
Try Indian Rupees!!!
60,000 Rs.
1,50,000 Rs.
is more like it.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:11 am: Edit

LOL seriously.. hey just wanted to ask you all.. how did u find todays physics paper??

By Creedthang (Creedthang) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 09:06 am: Edit

well im from bombay,time pass.
yea we have the hsc and it is really tough to score.
dont know how u.s universities are gonna lok at my grades.

btw.after spending 20 lakhs on an education 60,000 a month is a messed up salary.its amazing for indian standards.doubt youll find anyone getting too much of a higher salary.

bascially .once u go there for undergrad.STAY THERE!

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:06 am: Edit

well credthang more or less what most ppl.do.
[timepass this doesn't include u]they seldom return to india.....

physics suked when compared to chem.,
how did u do?

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:41 pm: Edit

physics sucked whether compared to chem or not for me!! im seriously concerned about it.. how did everyone else out here do? how much do u expect?

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

hey ppl is it sure tat the results are gonna b out on 14th march?

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

no it's March 21 - I just checked it out ...

well, best of luck to all you people

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 07:39 am: Edit

results on march 21st? what results?

By Timepass (Timepass) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:52 am: Edit

MIT results

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 02:23 pm: Edit

< edited by Admin >

By Mitacceptee (Mitacceptee) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

haha word

By Bangaloreboy (Bangaloreboy) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Dferraro go take a hike. u don't necessarily have to get an 800 in verbal to show your english prowess and writing skills. i got a 700 and stanford didn't have a problem with that. i am pretty sure i can kick your ass when it comes to writing any day of the week. you r just an idiot who has no self confidence and self belief, whose only job in life is to berate other worthier candidates.

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

< edited by Admin >

By Doctort (Doctort) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Indian's aren't black. So by calling us "nigga," you aren't offending us dumb ••••. Nobody's fuckin' holding a gun to your balls to come and write on this message board. If you don't like what we're saying, then don't post on this convo and go back to fuckin' yourself.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Dferraro get a life.

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Thursday, March 13, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

haha. this is so funny.

By Chermiel (Chermiel) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

yes Dferraro, you are such a great writer, and ur ever-so-delicate writing is seen here (right here, on this message board!!!) , in its undefiled form.. wow...

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 04:25 am: Edit

2 more days to go........

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 04:29 am: Edit

still someone guessing my chances?..... nobody commented on my rank's ion ITSE, 4th NSO etc. ......

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 10:47 am: Edit

MIT rejected me ..........

By Dferraro (Dferraro) on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

sorry to hear it...I wonder how Funky did.

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 06:33 am: Edit

thank's for sympathizing ........ even I am waiting to hear from him ...

By Rohitram01 (Rohitram01) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

anybody get anything from Cornell engineering??

By Ubaid_In (Ubaid_In) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

no probably early april

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page