Will I get in or get rejected?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Will I get in or get rejected?
By Justin9660 (Justin9660) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Alright, I applied to the following schools:
University of Chicago
University of Notre Dame
Brown University
Johns Hopkins University
Northwestern University
Yale University
Dartmouth College
Amherst College
Vanderbilt University
Duke University

My GPA is 3.87/4.0 and I'm ranked 14/363. I've taken mostly advanced and AP classes and have the following grades on the AP tests:
European History = 2 (hey, it was a learning experience)
English Lang. & Comp. = 4
US Hisotry = 4
Psychology = 5

I'll be taking biology, chemistry, and english lit. and comp. this year as well (AP tests). I got a 1390 (750 verbal and 640 math) on the SAT I and 560 chemistry, 610 math 2c, and 790 writing on the SAT II. In my defense, I didn't study or prepare at all for the SAT II's and I didn't take them until I had sent in all of my applications to the colleges. I also have a 31 composite on the ACT. I have mostly AP classes this year (my senior year).

THEN, assuming I get into all of them (which I know I won't, but this is hypothetical), which one would be the best for undergraduate study if I plan on becoming a doctor?? I also got accepted to Indiana University-Bloomington and Butler University in Indianapolis. Sometimes, I think it would just be easiest to go to IU cause it's kind of close to home and it seems to be good for medicine studies.

I've had two jobs: one from 4/01-10/01 and then one from 10/01-present. I have a LOT of extracurriculars and have nearly 1000 hours of community service at a local hospital. So what are my chances and which school should I go to? Any advice is appreciated!!

By Bizman (Bizman) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

quite honestly, your SAT II's are going to take you out of the running for many of those schools. If you had EXCELLENT ec's and a high SAT I, you might compensate, but you really don't have either.

Rejected at Yale, Duke, Brown, JHU,Dartmouth, NWU
Accepted: Notre Dame, Amherst
Waitlist: Vanderbilt

Chicago is all about the essay.

I sincerely hope you applied to some safeties.

By Quaggs (Quaggs) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Your SAT2 chemistry and math2c scores are very low as well as your AP euro grade. The adcoms will not care about how you took the test; they ONLY want to see what you can produce. Just take them again this year. You're a junior right?

By Menowregistered (Menowregistered) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

doesn't look like it, in his post he mentioned he was accepted into college already...and he specifically mentions senior year in his post ;)

By Justin9660 (Justin9660) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

I forgot...I also applied to Wash U in St. Louis. And I got accepted to Rose-Hulman IT. Hopefully, someone will address the second part of my question: can anyone with knowledge of those colleges rank them for me in order of which would be best for what I want to do? Thanks!

By Bizman (Bizman) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

I don't know too much about med-hopefuls (you can probably tell through my id), but I know the following schools have excellent pre-med programs:

WUSTL, JHU, Chicago, Vanderbilt

I don't know anything about the other schools.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page