Colleges which selectivity far outweigh it's prestige

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Colleges which selectivity far outweigh it's prestige
By Jerric on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

And what are some colleges whose selectivity far outweighs its general prestige? I'm going to say Brown on this one.

By person on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I'd say Cornell is opposite. Prestige and overall quality both outweigh their selectivity.

By Me on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

I'd say Brown, Northwestern, Berkeley, UMich, UChic, Dartmouth, and Cornell.

By I dont understand Me on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

huh? berkeley, umich, uchicago, and cornell are more prestigious than they are selective, while brown, dartmouth, and northwestern are either well matched (prestige=selectiveness) or are slightly more selective than they are prestigious

By Brown Sucks on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Brown takes the cake guys, seriously the school is hard as hell to get into but lacks so much.

By Confused on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:13 am: Edit

What does it lack?

By pisces on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

Confused- it doesnt lack anything. People on this board seem to think that because it doesnt have a curriculum, that because you have to be mature and responsible enough to take care of yourself and your education that it's a doormat ivy or whatever. These same people also think it doesnt have grades, which is untrue. You get grades, but you do have the option of taking a class SNC- satisfactory or no credit, aka pass fail. This is so that you can take classes that are not part of your major and not have to worry about your gpa. They want you to learn and it helps to develop you into a more educated person. Also- The classes are extremely difficult and the school is very liberal. These people are just afraid and judgemental of what they dont understand (or what they cant get into)

By does not on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

we're talking about prestige, not resources.

brown may have less money than HYP, but that doesn't mean it's not prestigious

By Yes on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

I agree, Cornell is the other way around.

By gogo on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:51 am: Edit

I think Tufts is much more selective than it is prestigious. While *I* think it's a great school (in terms of what it has to offer), it doesn't have a huge reputation.

By Jumbo on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:19 am: Edit

It is prestigious. But only recognized in the intellectual community.

By Confused on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

Thank you for the clarification Pisces -- My personal wish is that Brown and Columbia traded places then that would really rock!

By FYI on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:30 am: Edit

To does not:

Just FYI Brown has less money than HYPCCDP, Stanford and MIT.

By Harvey Mudd on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

Harvey Mudd--It's SAT score-range, for example, is the same as MIT. In fact, because it is so small, it might be just as difficult to get into as MIT. Prestige-wise, it is in another class, mainly because it is a college (undergrads only), not a university.

By asdf on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 03:36 am: Edit

penn. outside of the northeast...everyone thinks penn is short for "penn state"...a state school.

By reader on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:28 am: Edit

NYU

By Nope on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

University of Chicago should be selective. They've had like what 4 Nobel Prize winners come out of their school? THINK

By person on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:05 pm: Edit

I think pretty much all the good liberal arts colleges' selectivity outweighs their prestige. For example, I bet few have heard of Bowdoin, but they are ranked 6 or 7 on US News for liberal arts colleges, and their acceptance rate is around 20 or 25 percent.

By Potter on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Brown is not that great of a school. It definately takes the cake. It's selectivity far outweighs it's prestige. Brown is not very well known internationally. It's not the best in anything. All around, yeah it's a top twenty school, but it's not special. Cornell has it's engineering (top five in materials engineering), medicine, etc, HYP is top in numerous fields, Stanford/MIT are amazing in engineering, sciences, business, Penn and Columbia are great for business/medicine, teaching, and english. But, Brown is not great at engineering, business, medicine, law, or anything. It's way too overrated. The AdComs there need to settle the f u c k down cause they think they're great by rejecting amazingly qualified applicants.

By pisces on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Potter- Brown is not great for medicine? You obviously dont know much about the school, otherwise you would have heard of the PLME program. And also, you cannot base all your conclusions on rankings- the colleges themselves dont even agree with them.

By Add that on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Cornell is also good for Hotel Management and other Business.

By Qwer (Qwer) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

yes, brown is NOT good at medicine...good meaning ranking top 15. the PLME program is simply an accelerated liberal medical education for those that want to become doctors. although the program is hard to get into...difficulty of getting in does NOT equate with quality.

you can get a much better premedical education at harvard, hopkins, cornell, columbia, penn, stanford, chicago, washington univ, duke, etc.

also, anyone who knows anything about medical school rankings know that there are 3 different types of schools: didactic, problem based and non-pbl. furthermore, some schools are more research oriented which skews ranking while others are more concerned with primary care.

the quality of medical school...some say...depends on the residency programs its graduates can get. after all, what good is becoming an MD if you dont get to practice the type of medicine you want at the place you want?

every year, the schools that DOMINATE the graduate medical education ERAS match (general), san fran match (specialized surgical) are:

harvard, hopkins, duke, columbia, cornell, penn, wash u, ucsf, stanford, yale and northwestern.

brown medical school does not even break the top 30 in the country. even its sister medical school (in the brown-dartmouth medical exchange program), dartmouth, is a far superior medical school.

these days, most young people want to go into orthopaedic surgery. the 4 best in the country are:
1) Hospital for Special Surgery - owned by Cornell
2) Mayo Medical Clinic - owned by Mayo Med
3) Hospital for Joint Diseases - owned by NYU
4) MGH Orthopaedics - owned by Harvard Med

where does brown rank in this field? it doesnt rank in the top 50 percentile!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page