Another EC question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Another EC question
By supernova on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

i do piano, yoga, and tennis outside of school. do these count as EC or as hobbies?

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

I think yoga would be a hobby.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Piano and tennis...are you serious and put in serious hours? Are you in competitions? Are you ranked or have you received awards? These are the factors that would make them count as EC's, I would think. Otherwise they look like "dabbling" activities.

I agree: both yoga and yogurt are hobbies.

By supernova on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

for piano... i'm not excellent and don't do competitions i do however participate in 'piano teachers festival' which is kind of like a recital for a judge and i get judged on 2 pieces.... how would i write that one down... i have certificates but i heard many colleges just rip off the extra sheets you add...

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Yeah, you don't want to bother sending copies of
certificates. Note them as awards in some
relevant space about EC's.

Actually, I remember reading in the book about Princeton admissions, the guy who wrote an essay that began something like: "I am the worst player on the worst soccer team in the state and in four years I have gotten into four games...." He got in.

So, no excellence isn't an absolute requirement.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page