Chances for Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Chances for Harvard
By Bryan on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

I just wanted to know what everyone thought about my chances of getting into harvard. I am on crew, I got 1440 on the SAT, and my GPA is a 4.0 uw. I go to school at a regular private school in New Jersey and I was wondering if my being on crew would qualify me for some scholarship even though I don't qualify for financial aid. Thanks.

By AzN_Cowboy on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

And that's all you did your whole High School career? If so, you have absolutely no chance. If you neglected to mention your other ECs, please do so or else people on this message board cannot successfully evaluate your chances. :)

By Bryan on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Yeah sorry in addition to doing crew at my school I am in the Pep band and I went to the local All-catholic ompetition for saxophone, nothing major. I am in NHS but other than that I don't do any extracuriculars. Harvard called me the other day about crew and they said that I should look into applying there and I was just wondering if this call really meant anything or whether they just need more people as back-ups for my year.

By reqg on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

what's 'crew'

By Bryan on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Rowing

By Carl on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Unless you have lattisimus dorsi like Ronnie Coleman, I would say that you might not be accepted. Don't hold out on us; tell everything about yourself (within reason) for a more accurate prediction.

By muppet on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Yes, the call means "something"--but it's not a guarantee. Crew is a big deal at Harvard. Lots of alums on Olympic teams (Tiff Wood, Andy Sudduth, etc), which is good PR for school. And your stats are ballpark for Harvard. (They'll take a heck of a lot worse in certain cases.)

By muppet on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

BTW, no sports scholarships at Ivies. Sorry.

By John38562003 (John38562003) on Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - 11:29 am: Edit

Hey Bryan, how's your 2k erg score?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page