Seeking Help For Better Chances at Columbia College, Columbi

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Seeking Help For Better Chances at Columbia College, Columbi
By Raskolnikov55 (Raskolnikov55) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

I'm currently a junior at a relatively well known high school in New Jersey.

I was wondering if you guys could give me your opinion on something.

Unfortunately, I haven't been as successful academically as I had orginally planned. I'm assuming at this point my GPA will be a 3.5/4.0 by the time I apply early to Columbia College, Columbia University. I have volunteered nearly 200 hours of service at a local hospital and various music ensembles in my town. I also attend a well known music school in Manhattan (Manhattan School of Music).

Question: Will a 1500+ SAT I and 3 750+ SAT IIs raise my chances for admittance to Columbia?

I really need your opinions, thanks a bunch.
Also, please feel free to add any suggestions you think might help me increase my chances.

By hopethishelps on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:27 am: Edit

well if your SAT is that high, they might take you even if your GPA is that low. have you taken hard courses? any AP's? your musical talents and ambitions show that you have character so theylle be interested in you. and the service is also good. i like that your EC's are focused on music, its a good thing.the hospital internship kinda throws the music orientation off though...maybe you could say that you played music for disadvantaged kids at a local hospital instead of just saying you volunteered. also, what SAT11's have you taken? if theyre in the humanities your defiinitely in. or if theyre science/math oriented you'll have a good shot as well, although the humanities rules for ivies. good luck!

By Raskolnikov55 (Raskolnikov55) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

thanks. well, i'm planning to take Writing, both Math 1C and 2C, and Physics. Possibly also US History. AP's: yes, i took History AP 1 last year, and I am currently taking History AP 2 and Physics B AP. Hope this helps give you a better idea.

*Note: In my school, the US History program has been divided into two years*

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page