A job?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: A job?
By thanks for your reply in advanced on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:51 am: Edit

I have a job right now. My ECs aren't really performing. Currently i'm only part of one club. I've been working 10-20 hours a week since mid grade 10.

Will having a job ruin my chances at the the top universities (both Ivy and other)?

Or am i screwed? I have a feeling my lack in ECs will kill all my chances. I can't handle both a job and other ECs without lowering my grades tremendously. I actually work for my dad's company, and he can't afford any real employees so he hires me to be his cleaner/greeter/semi-secretary guy. I have to help my dad, it's kind of a "thank you" for raising me thing, i have to help him in this time of need or else my conscience would kill me.

Will working for your dad still be considered as work? Well guess it is, since it is on paper.

By yaha on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 03:04 am: Edit

yes. colleges like students who've had a job or two during their high school career. working for your dad is still working...you're doing something to earn money. so, colleges will definitely consider that a plus.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 10:05 am: Edit

A job tends to be a sign of discipline and maturity,
drawing more on personal qualities than merely getting a 4.0. It also gives a broader experience with the world, which is educational from the pov of the university. So, yes, a job tends to be looked
upon favorably.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page