Political Science at Cornell?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Political Science at Cornell?
By Jim on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Is Cornell a good place to study Political Science? I'm from NYC and of course my first choice is Columbia (although I probably won't get in), I was wondering if Cornell is good for a PoliSci/Government major?

By asdf on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

it depends. at cornell, the major is called government.

the current world leading educator is dr. kramnick of cornell. if you are able to take his courses and be advised by him, you could get the best possible government education there is.

but if you are simply an average student...the government major at cornell is on par with columbia, georgetown, chicago and duke.

this is a step below the true powerhouses: harvard (jfk school), stanford (hoover institute) and yale.

By Jim on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Thanks asdf,

I appreciate it.

By Just me on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Cornell is good, but Columbia is better IMO

By Yo on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Why does everyone always think Columbia is better than Cornell?

By zxcv on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

because people mistakenly equate difficulty of getting in with quality.

By You know it on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Columbia is better than Cornell though.

By Potter on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

No, Cornell is more reputed than Columbia. IMO, Cornell is better. It is considered one of the most difficult schools to graduate from cause it's tough. It's easier to get in cause it's bigger, but the connections u get there last a lifetime.

By It all depends on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

Both great schools and it depends on what you study. If you want to study Liberal Arts, humanities, social sciences, etc. stick with Columbia, as for science/engineering stick with Cornell. Although Cornell is pretty good for business and law.

By Katey on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

Does anyone know if Cornell values SATII scores more or SATI scores more?

By Cornell rules on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

Just because it's harder to get into Columbia doesn't make it a better school. Cornell is still very selective and it's an all around Ivy. Awesome undergraduate education for virtually any field especially engineering and business and developing grad programs already on par with many of the top dogs, Cornell will be a top 5 school within a few years.

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:25 am: Edit

Cornell will be lucky to be in the top 20 at the rate it's going.

By crimsonrules on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:49 am: Edit

ares15,

everywhere you post, you bash cornell and praise penn. face it, penn isnt great at anything except undergraduate business....which means nothing these days because everyone gets an MBA.

academically, penn is a dog. goto a REAL school!

go crimson!

By Ares15 (Ares15) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:54 am: Edit

Did I mention Penn you idiot? No. And ya, Harvard is a great school.

By Cornellian (Cornellian) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:58 am: Edit

Oh shutup crimsonrules, Harvard is so overrated. All they do is play the admissions game the best; sending flyers to everybody with a 3.0 and a 1200 SAT so they can get them to apply with the false hope of possibly being accepted. Not to mention accepting the common app as well being the only Ivy that runs under a non-exclusive EA policy. And I'm sure they paid a pretty penny to get their name in all those movies. Go Cornell, and all the other self-respecting universities out there.

By Go Big Red on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 03:24 am: Edit

It seems as though everyone loves to bash Cornell due to the fact that it's the easiest ivy to get into. LOL too many prestige whores out there. While Cornell is definitely not a top Ivy, it sure as hell isn't a bottom one either.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page