Just Wondering, What do collges make of 760m, 560v?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: Just Wondering, What do collges make of 760m, 560v?
By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:21 am: Edit

?

By alira on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

That you're very good at math and very bad at verbal.

It'll help if English is your second language or something.

By alira on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

That you're very good at math and very bad at verbal.

It'll help if English is your second language or something.

By noclass on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:33 am: Edit

That's EXACTLY what I have!!!!

AND ENGLISH IS MY SECOND LANGUAGE!!!!!

By noclass on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

True a 560V isn't anything to be proud of.
However, I felt really good about because I at one point had like 400.... it was really terrible.
It is a very big hassle for someone to learn English and then learn like college level English for the SATs.

We are not that rich or anything so I wasn't able to pay for the SATIIs. It costs like $50 to take three of them at the same time.
Figure in retakes, it could cost as much as $300 plus retakes for the SAT..... it can end up costing you somewhere around $500. AND all the prep books and the prep classes.... you are looking at anywhere from $1000-$2000!!!!!!

By hm on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 02:19 pm: Edit

hmmm... libraries have prep books u can borrow. U dont need to take it more than once (sat 2s that is).

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 02:37 pm: Edit

well, i came to the US two years ago (10th grade), from taiwan and my first shot at SAt verbal i got a 460.... hahaa.... didn't even know what an SAT was cuz our school makes us take it every october.
right now my verbal is 660 and i'm using this score to apply to NYU CAS.

Noclass--- did you take the TOEFL? cuz that'd help you. by the way, where are you from and what level english do you take now in school?

By noclass on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

I am from Turkey. AP English.
I am great at writing. But my reading comprehension sucks a s s!!!!

My math is a 760. I am using this score to apply to NYU Stern...

True, if I had a 660 V, it would be a great help but I don't so that's fine.

What is your math Ayachan?
What is my percentage chance at Nyu stern do you think?

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:25 pm: Edit

well, my verbal is 660 and my math is 670 (hey, who said asians have to be math whizzes? my dad's a math professor in taiwan but i still suck anyway. blatantly, too.. hahaha.)
i'm taking AP english too.
when did you come here? if it's less than 5 years then colleges REQUIRE the TOEFL.
i think you have a pretty good shot. any score above a 1300 won't keep you out anywhere.... of course, it won't get you in either ... but if you get rejected it won't be b/c of your SATs so don't worry if all your other stats are fine.

By noclass on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

I came here 7 years ago.
My GPA was a 3.65 when I applied and I am taking the hardest classes offered.
I had nice recs. and wrote an essay on coming to US. Class rank was top 20% when I applied. Both parents have masters.... ECs are pretty average.

What do you think?

By supernova on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

you came here 7 years ago...5th grade right? hmm idk if you'll get much sympathy for that...

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

well, i think if i get in you prolly will get in also. =)

By noclass on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

how do you insert smilies btw?

By noclass on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

By Ayachan (Ayachan) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

good job, noclass:
you noticed that icon with the smilie by it that says "smilies"?

By noclass on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

I know this is so exciting
I am having fun!!!!

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

i am pure american. I am just verbilly challingd.(hah)

but really, its sad

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

B18c1cx:

Out of curiosity, what's your educational background like (Do you read a lot, or not at all, are you in advanced math courses, etc...)?

By B18c1cx (B18c1cx) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Incognito,

My educational backround is very poor. I got my edumakation through a •••••• public school system in NJ untill junoir year when I transfered to Pingry (quality private school in NJ) for athletic reasons. My father is (was) an exceptional programmer for Lucent Technologies and steven's alum. He has a terrible vocab. and it the curse has been passed down to me. I read my school textbooks, thats it. In english, I use cliffnotes. I don't read, and it came back to kick me in my ass, but it doesn't matter now because I got accepted everywhere I "applied." I only "applied" to schools that I was recruited at.

In case you were wondering, accepted at Bucknell, Franklin & Marshall, Rutgers, Florida Southern!! (no idea why i applied there), and Hamilton. -b18c1cx

By Rohitram01 (Rohitram01) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 12:13 am: Edit

I came here two years ago (started as a sophomore). My SAT english also sucks ass! 620V, 760M. I don't know if I'll get into Cornell or Duke. I am really hoping for something to come in soon. I am from India, and as fellow indians would understand, we hardly speak English, although education in some areas are offered in English. My TOEFL was not great, but decent - 280/300 (CBT). IVYs need 250. So i guess that's ok. any comments?

By Mrme (Mrme) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 03:45 pm: Edit

i dont know why indians cant get good SAT scores or not speak english... if u are from urban india there is no reason to not speak english... almost all skoolz in urban india are english-medium and not vernacular-medium...

By Dwaynehoover (Dwaynehoover) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 - 05:26 pm: Edit

PLease do not say to someone that they are very bad at verbal jus cuz of 560.

I know a few kids in my english class that are amazing writers, great speakers, and have brilliant analytical minds in literature/poetry/drama. They simply just do not test well on the SAT Verbal.. I don't blame them, you can't use logic on it -- you have to play their game--- most of the questions I can argue that one answer is a better one than the other, yet i will get it wrong because the SAT wants the other one...

So you see, I think the BEST verbal minds will get lower scores because they lose points in the ambiguous Critical Reading questions, I hate them-- but I know how to play them.

Also, the person from india, a 620 verbal is a VERY GOOD score, don't let these go-getters prove otherwise. THese forums are comprised of perfectionists who think that test scores are the most important part of your life, let alone your college application. A 620 means you score better than 88% of the people who take the SAT, as you can see--that is a very good score.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page