U of Michigan made a terrible mistake!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: U of Michigan made a terrible mistake!!!
By Cru (Cru) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 03:12 am: Edit

Oh my god!!!
I just got my U of Michigan admission notification by email. I was accepted. I was very happy until I started to read down the 2nd line. It says

"I am happy to inform you that you have been accepted as a member of the
University of Michigan College of Literature, Science and the Arts for the
Fall 2003 term. Congratulations on your admission to the University of
Michigan."

Oh my God!!! I applied for Engineering! Not Literature, Science and the Arts. I checked the copy of my apps it clearly shows that I applied for "College of Engineering" I showed no indication of applying to Literature, Science and the Arts. What happened? Did they decide to accept me for different department because I'm weak for engineering? Or, did they just send me the wrong email? Anyway, it's Saturday right now. I'm gonna call them on mondy!!!

By Haiyaa (Haiyaa) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 03:13 am: Edit

Uh, are you allowed to reply to the e-mail?

By Cru (Cru) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 03:26 am: Edit

Yes...
It says
"Please respond to this email at your earliest convenience. If we do not
hear from you within a week then we will send your I-20 by airmail to the
current address you have indicated."

By Haiyaa (Haiyaa) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 03:28 am: Edit

That's your cue to spam the inbox.

Er, e-mail back inquiring about the mistake and hope someone replies back to you before Monday. And then call.

By Cru (Cru) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 03:39 am: Edit

Is there any chance of them sending the wrong email? I starting to get worried!!!

By Haiyaa (Haiyaa) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 03:48 am: Edit

Well, there's always a possibility of that happening, but it's slight. Just chill. You wouldn't be accepted into the school you didn't apply for, so whatever moron was in charge of sending out acceptance e-mails probably sent you the Literature, Science and Arts letter instead of the Engineering one. It's not like worrying will do you any good at this point, anyway. So take a chill pill, and go to sleep.

By greeshma. on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 08:19 am: Edit

are you talking about umich,ann arbor?
has it started sending out acceptances.
what are your stats ,cru?

By Dadster on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

Cru, I don't know about UMich's policy, but sometimes applicants to a more selective college in a big university will be bumped to a less selective college if they don't make the cut for their first choice. Usually, though, there's a place on the app to indicate whether you wish to be considered for other colleges. Also, bumping from engineering to an Arts & Sciences college is a bit odd due to the difference in curriculum - it's not like you could do the LS&A curriculum for a year or two & then transfer into engineering. You should definitely contact the admissions office and ask what's up. With any luck, someone clicked the wrong acceptance letter in the mail merge program and you are accepted for Engineering.

By Cru (Cru) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

MY STATS

SAT I 600v 780m
SAT II 800m 780p 780c 540w

3.95uw 4.25w

I applied last year but got rejected.
I took a year off and reapplied

There isn't any place on the apps where I'm suppose to write down my second choice...

By urC on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Somewhere else in the U.S...

Oh my god!!!
I just got my U of Michigan admission notification by email. I was accepted. I was very happy until I started to read down the 2nd line. It says

"I am happy to inform you that you have been accepted as a member of the
University of Michigan College of Engineering. Congratulations on your admission to the University of
Michigan."

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:40 am: Edit

I just got a reply from them by email!
They told me that it was their mistake.
I have in fact been accepted into the college of engineering
Yippi!!!
So far my admission status is going great!
Good luck to all you people out there.

By Lurker on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 09:50 am: Edit

Cru, congratulations on your admission to U of Mich Engineering! About a month ago, I told you in your "Sad, Lonely...." birthday post that things should be looking up for you.

By your local mayor on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:03 am: Edit

congrats!

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

Thanks guys!!!

By barfman on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:42 am: Edit

whoa... nice cru...

hey did u get my e-mail? barfman?

hmmm... well tell me if u did get my e-mail or not

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Congratulations, Cru. I've been following
your trials and tribulations for a while, glad
to see it's working out for you.

UMich strikes me as a pretty good school. No
dishonor in going there.

One of the nice things about large schools is, if
you're an "off center" person--not like the typical--it gives you a lot more chance of finding
kindred spirits.

By johnaaaa on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:45 pm: Edit

cru post stats plz

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

v600 m780
3.95uw 4.25w
800math2c 760physics 760chemistry 640writing

And uh..
What email barfman?

By Dadster (Dadster) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Congrats, Cru - glad they found their error!

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Hey Cru, I remember you talking about how your parents won't pay for your college unless you go to a good school. Do they consider UMich a good school, or does it have to be Cornell?

By Barfman (Barfman) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 06:32 am: Edit

oh i sent u an e-mail a coupla days ago to ur hanmail account.. hmmm seems like u didn't get it

hanmail has been having lots of problems these days :S

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 07:43 am: Edit

dear barfman..
try oceansharkies@hotmail.com

Let's see I'm not sure what my parents make out of U of Michigan

The main reason why I have to get into prestigous school is because I need scholarship. I know a company which pays $45,000 a year for those who studies abroad. It is really hard to win this scholarship. Most people who get these kind of stuff are people who go to MIT, Stanford, ivy schools and other top schools. They first do the paper review. They will look at the college you've been accepted to. After you pass the paper review, there's a interview. After you pass the first interview, there's another interview. Basically, there are a paper review and two interviews. The 50 students(25 undergrad,25grad) in the end will recieve $45000 a year until they graduate. The company also sponsers few students who study in Canada, France, Germany, England, China, and Japan. Again, the priority is given to those who get accepted to prestigous schools. For the U.S. the 20 top schools that the company choose from are the top 20 schools on U.S. news. For Canada, it is Mcgill, University of Waterloo, University of Toronto and couple of other schools. For England, it is Cambrigde, and Oxford. I'm hoping to win this scholarship.
Thanks

By Barfman (Barfman) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

aaah i remember... heheh u mean. samsung?

kekekek yeah man..

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

hey..
Barfman.
Are you applying?
I heard that engineering students have the priority. Post stats if you can.

By Barfman (Barfman) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

HEY MAN I GOT ACCEPTED YEY!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page