UC's: How do they work?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: March 2003 Archive: UC's: How do they work?
By ucla ucberkeley ucirvine hopeful on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

somebody once told me that the uc's basically only find your academic index (sat+2(3sat2's)+gpa*1000) and thats how they determine admission...is this true to any extent?

By Icex1 (Icex1) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

My friend did a speech on their admissions policy and she told me that they have a system where they throw people into one of three categories based solely on their stats. 1) You're In without them even reading your essay or looking at EC's. 2) Your stats are good enough to earn consideration and they evaluate EC's, awards, etc. 3) You're out.

By Dori on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

most of the UC applicants never have their essay read at all...only if they're on the edge.

they have this chart with GPA and combined SAT scores, the lower your GPA the higher your SATs have to be for them to even consider you. i'll see if i can find the chart online.

the formula for SATs is : SATI + 2*(SATII writing + SATII math + SATII your choice)

By nope on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Not anymore... they started a system this past year called "comprehensive review" where they read your ECs, awards, etc, and essay no matter where you may fall when soley looking at stats.

By Andrew on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

the formula for "freshman eligibility index" is 1000 times GPA + SAT I + (3 SAT IIs) and if it's above 7360 or something around there, you're basically in. At least this is what I found out. I'm not sure if it's completely true. Oh and 7300 is for Berkely the others are lower.

By dafafd on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

Uc = university of cali?

By Dori on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 02:08 am: Edit

yes, it's a whole system of state schools....pretty good. (at least that's what my parents are trying to convince me; no tuition for in-state students!)

By yep on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Um there is tuition for instate schools... Just not the outrageous prices of private schools

By yep on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

*correction:

it should read:

Um there is tuition for in state students for UC schools... the rest is like above. Sorry

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

http://www.ucop.edu/pathways/infoctr/qr/qrf_min_eli.html

Heres the site with the formula for UC schools

By sauce on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 10:44 pm: Edit

That's not the formula. That's their cutoff index. Anyone who doesn't meet or exceed the eligibility index is automatically rejected from UCs.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

oh sorry

By Dori on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:11 am: Edit

hey "yep"...there is NOT tution for instate students, but there ARE fees and costs for books/dorms/food/etc.

By yep on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

Dori-- well.. if you don't consider registration fees etc are not tuition, then yes, you are correct. But I kinda just lump em all together. haha.. money is money!

Here is a link about the fees associated with UCLA ( probably similar for all UC schools)
http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/Fees/grad.htm

These costs beat the heck out of private school tuition

By fasd on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

"the formula for "freshman eligibility index" is 1000 times GPA + SAT I + (3 SAT IIs) and if it's above 7360 or something around there, you're basically in. At least this is what I found out. I'm not sure if it's completely true. Oh and 7300 is for Berkely the others are lower."

how is this true? is it possible that the number of applicants surpass this admission formula? weird..

oh, and I was wondering how many aps do you have to generally take in your high school career in order to be admitted into a relatively prestigious UC? (berkeley, la)

By sauce on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

There is no such formula used anymore. That formula has been replaced with the "comprehensive review" process. They got rid of that formula years ago.

There is no set number of APs you have to take in high school. The number of AP classes you take will depend on the high school you go to.

By bump on Monday, February 24, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

bump

By Quagge (Quagge) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I will be so happy if I could get in UCI

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

umm ... there are tuition fees ...

For berkeley:
http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Registration/feesched.html

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

What do you guys think about UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCSB, and UCD?

By Dori (Dori) on Thursday, February 27, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

quote: Non-resident Tuition Fee (Resident:) N/A

there are FEES but not TUITION....!

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 02:12 am: Edit

Bump.

By Framoin (Framoin) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:31 pm: Edit

UCB: I'd be the happiest asian in the world if i got in.
UCLA: Pretty dam happy also
UCSD: Wouldn't be surprised at leave the acceptance letter somewhere to gather up dust just in case im rejected everywhere else
UCI: With an academics rating of one star (69/100), and a quality of life rating of two stars (77/100) i wouldn't even think of applying there... "Quagge" i'm sorry...
UCD: Davis has a bit worse of ratings than San Diego but about the same and San Diego is in a lot nicer area...two star academics (79/100) and a three star quality of life (81); I'd have it as a back up..
UCSC: Now Santa Cruz sounds pretty dam cool... all that sun, a three star academics rating (80/100) and a four star quality of life with an acceptance percentage of 81%! I still rather go to CAL or UCLA of course but santa cruz would be a nice fallout.
UCSB: could burn in hell....im sorry hahah

All this was based on my personal opinion (after going to most of the campuses and living in CA for all my life till recently moving...) AND the Princeton Review "The Best 345 Colleges" 2003 edition...2004 coming soon.
Hope this helps Dyip10 =D

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page