Mit: only interested in math/science focused students?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Mit: only interested in math/science focused students?
By dopplerrules! on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

for the past two years i've been really focused on humanities subjects in high school. my gpa is still perfect and all, but i've been slanting on the english/literature/history/music side of the academic spectrum... i've always had somewhat of a passion for math and physics, as a hobby, but now i'm beginning to think i'd like to study the fields. rather than harvard, and princeton i'm thinking of applying to MIT. my problem is this: all my extra curricular activities are really english/hist focused....
i'm eic of my school paper, literary magazine, pres of debate, etc... i am a member of the math team, but i'm not sure if that's enough. will MIT consider me fickle due to my instant change of interest? and if i change my mind again and my ec's, etc keep 'flip flopping' will harvard and princeton think i'm retarded?? also are majors at MIT only science/math related??

By humbleadvice on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

i have the same problem: a conflict between int'l relations and medicine. i found a marriage via public health and epidemiology.
my advice to you is to go to an "all-rounder" school adept in science and humanities. think of it, if you're so fickle, isn't it possible that you may be inclined to change again? the undergraduate experience is developed for one to figure this stuff out. focus on ivies and good allrounder schools.
no hyp they won't think you're retarded: just diversified. don't overdo it though, maintain some level of focus. hope that helps.

By me on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:21 am: Edit

MIT has a great humanities program (just not as good as its science dept). Colleges won't think your 'retarded' because you change ec's, but they will look down upon the fact that you aren't committed to a single activity. Its fine if you want to pursue interests in both science/math and the humanities, as long as you continually participate in the ec's. Flip flopping between math and the humanities each year will look VERY BAD to the adcoms, especially at a school like MIT.

By hi on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:37 am: Edit

I think MIT takes pride in its humanities department (whether it is good or not, I hear it's pretty decent). You DEFINITELY want to show interest in math and science. Show it somehow. Your interests in history,etc. will be a good bonus. You can compliment (in your essays) their humanities dept too and they will be happy because they probably feel that they do not get enough respect for it. Apply, see what happens.

By dopplerrules on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

thanks!! i really don't know how to show that math/science focus though... i'm on math team, and i guess i could join science club and i will be taking a few science classes at the local college.... i'm also going to be a math tutor, but i'm not sure if it'll be enough....

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 02:22 am: Edit

My daughter just got an e-mail from MIT and it
was an interesting bit of marketing: they had
her PSAT score but they also had her choice(s) of
major as reported to the College Board...and the
e-mail was an artfully constructed pitch about all the interesting NON-science/math work that goes
on there. So not only do they have it, they're trying to recruit to it.

By hi on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 02:29 am: Edit

but no one is going to respect a humanity degree from massachusetts institute of TECHNOLOGY.

you are pretty sad, you have mentioned that email crap like 123 times.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Well, you're certainly wrong about the respect
humanities degrees from either MIT or Caltech
get in the world at large. The caliber of the
education is very good, the students who choose
that path tend to be very independent and have
some interesting qualities, and they wind up being
quite valued in the workplace; the local newspaper
has had periodic articles on this very subject
over the years.

As for the e-mail, feel free to be bugged.
It's not as if my daughter is applying there,
for all its virtues.

By Calquest on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

I've seen similar articles. Humanities students graduating from MIT are seen to be exceptionally well rounded, certainly more so than most humanities students. They are seen as bringing very unique skills to the workplace.

Happy to hear MIT id'd your daughter, even if her interest isn't there. So many students don't get this notice...must annoy them so.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

dopplerrules, you may be surprised as I was to learn not too long ago that MIT even has a humanties program. You ought to take a look at MIT's site where it is described and the section that has students commenting on the school as it has a couple of humanities majors describing their experience.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page