GPA

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: GPA
By help! on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Do the Ivies and American Universities/Colleges, in general, use the same system to convert one system of grading to the 4.0 GPA system? And do they use this same system when converting for international students? Like from Canada, Britain, Finland etc...

I was wondering because i live in Canada, and in particular, my High School used the percentage system (you're all familiar with this right? Out of a 100). I've tried to convert my current HS average, which is 87% full IB, into the 4.0 GPA system to compare with all those kids on here.

Here's the problem, Canadian universities seem to be using a different conversion system when compared with American universities (i want to go to an american university). In my city, we have to cover both the provincial curriculum (which by chance is very similar to the AP program, i was thinking of taking a few of those exams to actually see how common), and if you take IB, the IB curriclum to pass HS. So in my province, the IB students are actually learning more on a more challenging level than other IB students out there.

My average now is only 87%; if i took AP or nothing at all (just the normal provincial program) i would be well over 90%.

Do schools like Harvard (just an example) consider this fact? Or do they not care, since the world is such a huge place, knowing things like this is just not possible for them.

OK, when i myself tried to convert to the 4.0 GPA system there seemed to be multiple conversion tables out there. Is there one specifically for an IB student living in Alberta?

I tried the University of Toronto conversion table and i was right on 4.0 (lucky me) but then i tried the University of BC one and got 3.8-3.9 (damn). And on the american conversion tables worse! A 3.6!

And for those Canadians out there, do Canadian High Schools convert to the 4.0 GPA system with a table of their own before sending papers to universities that uses the 4.0 system? Or do they just send the percentage and let the americans do whatever they want?

By : on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

That's a long message.

By bump on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page