National student leadership conference

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: National student leadership conference
By kay on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit

can any one tell me anything about this?

is it a true honor?

how many kids selected?

an edge on a college application??

By Me on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 02:46 pm: Edit

I went to it last year. It's not a huge honor or anything, because they send an application to everyone who gets over a certain score on the PSAT (my sophomore year I got a 1320 on the PSAT and got invited). Anyways, it was a lot of fun and I actually learned quite a bit. As for whether or not it looks good for colleges, it looks good to the extent that you are showing that you are interested in a certain area and are taking time out of your summer to take part in an academic program. It's not going to make or break your college application, but I had a ton of fun in the International Diplomacy section, and I suggest it to anyone who's interested.

By Issme (Issme) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

I'm going to the Medicine & Health Care one in July.. I'm pretty hesitant to the entire thing, but I'm sure it'll be a great experience nevertheless..

By caramelapple on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Hey Me, I'm signed up for the International Diplomacy for this July!
I'm not doing the conference because of colleges, but it sounds interesting. It's not very hard to get accepted into a NSLC, so it's not a big honor in that regard. Still it comes highly recommended and if you're into that sort of thing, go for it.

By Me on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Caramel, I'm confused. You're signed up but you're not going? International Diplomacy is just one section of the overall conference. If you're going to "International Diplomacy" the you're going to the "conference." The term "conference" is misleading anyway because it's not as if you're sitting around making decisions about future student leadership. Anyway, the only bad thing about it is that there's a lot of corny "leadership" games that make you feel like you're in kindergarten, but there's also a lot of serious discussion.

By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:43 am: Edit

No no no. I am going to the conference. What I was trying to explain is I signed up because it sounds interesting, not because I thought, "Oh this will look good on college apps." Get it? Sorry that post was confusing.

And to me, it sounded like they have several different conferences they put on, one being International Diplomacy, and they all tie into "leadership." Is that right?

As for the games, I totally expect them. Unfortunetly, they seem to come with the territory. Every conference I've been to has the corny little games that make you say "Why the heck am I here..." but they get better...usually.

So yeah, I am going. But not to impress colleges.

By Issme (Issme) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

CaramelApple.. Hey, sorry for the delay. I've been tied up w/ a few things. In any case, I've heard that all conferences ARE tied into leadership, which can yes, be a good thing, but for the most part, it's sort of a waste of time. Those games are going to get to me, considering that I am easily annoyed. : ) Yea, I'm doing this for my own benefits, to see if I am indeed interested in Medicine & Health Care. When are you going in July? If I don't post in a long time, email me @ luv2smile3@aol.com : ) alrite sorry I'm not usu. liek this, I jsus gotta go. Later.

By pollieiscrunk on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Hm.... do you guys know anything about the HOBY Leadership Seminar? I'm being sent as an ambassador for my school. Each school in Ca is supposed to send one sophomore from their school who exhibits 'leadership qualities'. Does that look good on an app?

By Issme (Issme) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Yeah it does look good. I was selected as a HOBY ambassador also. However, the seminar that I went to was rather pathetic. It reminded me of cheer camp, no doubt.. but in any case, I did learn a lot of leadership attributes, and there were cute guys.. but then again, you may be a guy?? : ) aiite, later.

By Issme (Issme) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Yea, I was selected as HOBY ambassador too. It's an honor, but truthfully, it's weird as heck. At my seminar, it was more like a cheering camp. Lots and lots of cheers, but you learn a lot of leadership attributes. I guess its good for you, but there are a lot of controversial issues that I could find from the entire seminar, but in any case, it looks pretty sweet on your app, bcuz it's a privilege.. esp. if you were blindly selected. Any questions? E-mail me @ Luv2smile3@aol.com

By Issme (Issme) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

wtf.. sorry.. i thought my first post didnt go thru..

By crunkpollie on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

blindly selected? what do you mean? i just know that all the sophomore teachers recommended me across the board.. i'm a girl by the way.

By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

I was selected for HOBY last year and sent all the paperwork in but didn't end up going because I was busy with something else that weekend. The way you are selected depends on your high school, I believe. I had some teacher recommendations and then filled out a form with some essay questions. Then my school counselors looked at all the applications and chose mine. They submitted my name to the HOBY people and I was in the conference. I think the main selection process takes place at the high school level. HOBY takes one person from each high school, and if your school chooses you, then you go. So in a way, it's not the biggest honor since it's just your school's selection process. Does that make sense? I'm not totally 100% sure, but that's the impression I got.

Issme: I'm going to Washington for July 3-13. Is the Health and Med conference in CA? I know some are, but unfortunetly, not the International Diplomacy one.

Kay: If you are still wondering if the conference gives you an edge on college apps, here's another thing to think about. Some would see it as a red flag, indicating a student who has money to spare without doing anything creative or challenging. That's not how I feel, but I was reading back on the forums and found a post with that comment. Just something to think about...

By Issme (Issme) on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Im going to D.C. July 18-28th for Medicine & Health Care.. :P I hope this is well worth the moolah.

By Murray Feingold on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:36 pm: Edit

I was "invited" to the Medicine forum last summer in Boston. I believe the science department hand-picked a few "outstanding" students. Anyway, I believe the forum next wanted $2,000 to attend the two-week event. Really now, I wasn't going to have my parents shell out $2,000 so I could listen to Dr. Murray Feingold [ABC Television / WCVB Boston] tell us about some dramatic breakthrough in medicine that our government will probably pull. Then what, so you can put it on the college resume? I have a feeling AdComs know about these things.

By Fancycaboose (Fancycaboose) on Monday, July 14, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

I just got back from my NSLC trip and i loved it! its was one of the best experiences of my life! i would recommend it to n e 1 in a heartbeat!! E-mail me if you have any questions about it! i went to the Law & Ad. E-mail me at Fancycaboose@aol.com

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page