Chances at LACs: Williams, Amherst, Carleton, Wesleyan, Bow

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Chances at LACs: Williams, Amherst, Carleton, Wesleyan, Bow
By Northerngirl (Northerngirl) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

I have my heart set on attending a top LAC, and I am particulary interested in Williams, Amherst, Carleton, Wesleyan, and Bowdoin. Do I stand a chance? Also, what would be some good matches/safeties that are similar to the above schools? Thanks!

1320 SAT, 30 ACT (plan to retake SAT & actually study this time!)

3.97 GPA (4.81 weighted)

1st out of 40 students

~my school doesn't offer any AP classes, but I will be taking a year of English courses at a local state university this upcoming year (my senior year)

~ECs: class president 3 times, tutor special education students at the junior high, Mock Trials, Knowledge Bowl, volleyball for 3 years (letter winner & co-captain), counselor at a summer business camp, choir, some small regional awards at math competitions & for artwork

By Northerngirl (Northerngirl) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Also, if I can narrow down my choices by this fall, would applying ED to my 1st choice greatly increase my chances of acceptance?

By Palomino (Palomino) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

Williams is VERY different than Wesleyan. Are you applying to these schools because they are "top LACs," or are you applying because you think you'd fit in at any of them? Williams is more outdoorsy, jockish, and mainstream (most like Middlebury and Dartmouth IMHO), while Wesleyan is the opposite (extremely liberal, more NYC-hip, quirky). The others fall somewhere in between. You should visit to get a better understanding of each school's flavor...

By Nervousmom (Nervousmom) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Is volleyball played at these schools? If so, I'd suggest contacting the coaches at these schools now, and get your HS coach to send a letter directly to the ones you're most interested in. Then get a 10 minute video of clips of your games to send them by the end of the summer. My D was accepted to W,W,&A (didn't apply to C or B). She's very strong anyway (1540,SC Pres,etc), but she absolutely had help from every DIII coach she talked to.

By Northerngirl (Northerngirl) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice, Nervousmom. I actually am considering trying a different sport in college (I go to a small high school, and the only sports offered to women are v-ball, basketball & softball...of the 3, I decided to focus on volleyball). I attended a soccer camp last summer & really liked it, so I'm planning on trying out for the JV soccer team in college. Since I am not planning to continue volleyball in college, I am not sure how much emphasis I should place on it in my applications.

Palomino--out of the top LACs, the 5 I mentioned are the ones I believe I could fit in at, although for different reasons at each. I happen to be an extremely liberal person who also would like to pursue outdoor & athletic activities. Notice the absence of Swarthmore, Pomona, and Middlebury from my list---they'd surely be on there if I was ONLY interested in applying to the top LACs irregardless of where I believed I could fit in.

By Rhkid005 (Rhkid005) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

You have a decent shot at all of your schools, but it will improve a lot if you boost your SAT to the 1400 range. I'd also recommend Vassar (match), Connecticut College (safety), Colby (match), Bates (match), Macalester (match), Oberlin (match), and Haverford (match/reach), Kenyon (mathc/safety), and Skidmore (safety) if you haven't looked at them yet.

By Reeses (Reeses) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

I definitley wouldn't say that Vassar is a match. I think it really depends on the particular person. I had a 1340 on my sats, around 700 range for sat 2s, awesome ecs, sports, awards, essay, and recs, straight As in th hardest courseload, and I was ranked 3/650 in my class. I even submitted an amazing (other people said it was "amazing") extra essay about why I wanted to attend, yet I was still waitlisted. I think you really need to improve your sats if you want to even be considered at schools like williams, amherst, or swarthmore. But I think schools like Hamilton, Conn. College, and Haverford don't look at your sats as much as your actual transcript.

By Par72 (Par72) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

Might want to look at some other LACs like Holy Cross, Bucknell or Colgate. Holy Cross has a volleyball team and its campus is nice.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page