Is a 1400 good enough for ucla or berkeley or uc irvine?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Is a 1400 good enough for ucla or berkeley or uc irvine?
By so close on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

is it? does anyone have any examples (ie. my brother got a 1410 and he has been accepted to....)
also, what kinda colleges should i be lookin at in the california area?

By hi on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

1400 can get you in anywhere. a lot depends on your other attributes.

By dont worry on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

1410 is equal to or above average SAT for all of those schools - if he does/doesn't get in there its not from the 1410 - only at a few ultraselective universities will a 1410 be anything less than excellent. It is probably a sign of overqualification for irvine (no offense to irvine ppl, but one would be hard pressed to call it equal with berkeley or UCLA)

By Kate on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Dude, 1400 is too high for those schools! I know a bunch of people with 1200s getting into those schools easily. As long as you're in-state, you're fine.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

1400 is NOT "too high" for UC Berkeley or UCLA; if your grades and recs are decent you should be able to get into Irvine easily...Berkeley and UCLA are still coin-flips.

By Dori on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

it would be really hard to get into a UC with a 1200 SAT unless your SATIIs are all 750+

By Quaggs on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

UCs = Trash Schools

By quaggsaloser on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Quaggs so what school do u go to? UCLA and UCB are better than a lot of the privates, plus the tuition is 1/2 of those privates. What can be the combination of affordalbe tuition and good education?

By quaggsaloser on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

beat not be

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

What are the chances that I would get into UC's with a 1300 SAT, 4.0 GPA, 700 SAT II's, and little to none EC's. This is not my stats but I am just wondering.

By Dori on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

out of state? slim to none. in state? maybe to slim

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

ok. I am in state.

By sg on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:18 am: Edit

i know lots of people who got into UCLA with less than 1300. i think the focused their essay on hardships and stuff like that. i remember how five UCLA undergrads came to out school and told all the seniors to write about something "sad." and yes in-states get in easily if s/he has above 1100.

By Quaggs on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

UCB and UCLA have better education than a lot of the private schools? Are you stupid? The only reason why they're considered "decent" schools in the mind of the public is because ALMOST every other PUBLIC universities around the U.S. are considered "incapable," in addition to the cold fact that the lie in two very much admired areas (Bustling L.A. and serene Berkeley). Plus, they have already established themselves as "good colleges" long ago--inflated prestige. One can usually get a much BETTER education at GOOD private universities because of money and connections. I don't suppose the latest budget cut will help improve that situation at those colleges.
UCB's AVERAGE SAT is a 1300. That means half the majority of the applicants have scores WELL below that mark. Furthermore, UCLA's AVERAGE SAT is 1277, meaning half the majority of the applicants have scores WELL below that mark.

By yesiirreebob on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

And those are the athletes and some AA admits (im not racist...)

By ucs on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

Quaggs, some argue that uc berkeley is one of the top schools in the nation (especially for engineering...and the bio program prepares u well for med school)! depending on ur extracurriculars/other factors, 1410 will or will not be high enough for ucb and ucla...e.g., if u have no extracurriculars, u want 1450+, but if u have a lot of extracurriculars, u can get away with a 1250...lol, my friend got into ucb with a 1100 - however, u should realize that uc's are notorious for their unpredictable admissions.

By Buc (Buc) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:44 am: Edit

3.97 UW, 4.29 W
SAT I - 1270, ACT - 27
SAT II - 650, 690, 670

good for UCI, UCSD, UCLA, UCB?

By me on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 02:04 am: Edit

good for UCI, probably for UCSD, slim at UCLA and UCB

By Quaggs on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 03:25 am: Edit

The only reason why they're considered "decent" schools in the mind of the public is because They are better than other Private universities around the U.S. are considered "incapable," in addition to the cold fact that the lie in two very much admired areas. Plus, they have already established themselves as "good colleges" long ago--inflated prestige as Harvard.
Harvard's Grade Inflation is well known. One can usually get a much BETTER education at GOOD publce universities because of money and connections. I don't suppose the latest budget cut will help improve that situation at those colleges.
Harvard's grade average is 3.7 That means 91% got
Honors.

By Quaggs on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 03:26 am: Edit

I go to U Boston.

By heh on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 03:30 am: Edit

uh quaggs dont post the samething twice...

By Quaggs (Quaggs) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 01:10 pm: Edit

To ucs:

Yes, I agree with you on the fact that the UCs are very erratic in their selection process. They choose a large group of people based on nothing more than "dumb luck." I'm going to end by saying that the UCs are too overrated.

By Quagge (Quagge) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET INTO UCB or UCI WITH A 1370 GPA 4.12 Out of state

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

Berkeley is unlikely. Irvine is a good shot, imo.

Quaggs, start looking at the number of Nobel Prize winners on faculty at UCB and UCLA. Also, look at the amount of dollars in research grants awarded UCLA...they're something like #5 in the country and the schools they are ahead of would boggle a lot of people.

Both institutions have their strengths and weaknesses...as do, oddly enough, HYPS.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page