Berekely asking for teacher recs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Berekely asking for teacher recs?
By whatsgoinon on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

i recieved an email from Berkeley asking for teacher recs. There are also a lot of questions i have to fill out. It also said that "failure to submit the questionnaire may jeopardize your admission consideration." did anyone else recieve this? What could this mean?

By sauce on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

It pretty much means that your application is borderline right now and that you should send more information so that admissions officers can get a better picture of your personality. What are your stats anyways?

By whatsgoinon on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

1390 SAT
640 writig
740 2c
690 chem
3.6 uw GPA

a lot of ECs
state champ in taekwondo

By sauce on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Yeah, you may be a little borderline. You probably still have a good chance though.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Are you in-state or out-of-state? BTW, you made a typographical error in the title of your post, but that's OK. At least you spelled "Berkeley" correctly in the body of your message. :) good times

By whatsgoinon on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:43 pm: Edit

i am in-state. and i guess i am at teh borderline thats y they are asking for it

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

holy crap. Your stats are close to mine, and I am out-of-state. Sounds like I have no chance at all.

By flounder on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Whatsgoinon, is that the preadmission questionnaire? If so, got one too.

By whatsgoinon on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

yes it is... the problem is UCB is only giving me ten days to get the teacher recs. I am not sure if my teacher can finish them by the deadline since we have no school for this whole week.

By sauce on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

I'm hoping that they don't send me an e-mail...it freaks me out to see a new message in the inbox at this moment.

By Lisa on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

I looked on the Berkeley website, and it says that every year, out of the 36,000 applicants, there are about 2,000 to whom they ask for additional information, through a supplementary application, including recommendations, which of course, does mean, that your application is border-line at this time. Good luck!!!

By flounder on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Whatsgoinon, re the teacher recs, don't worry. Some suggestions: Call the number given in the e-mail and explain your situation to the person who answers. (Be sure to tell them you got the preadmission questionnaire). Then, if you want to be really sure there's no problem, either write them a letter (address it to the address where the recs would go) or fax them (the person who answers can give you this number...but if not, write back here and I'll see if I can find it), and put in writing that you've given the teachers the rec forms (tell them how many and name the teachers) and tell them the date you gave it to the teachers.

I had a similar concern and when I called the person said they're really mostly interested in the answers you provide on that form anyway.

Good luck!!

By whatsgoinon on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

lisa, out of the 2000 how many of those got in?

By sauce on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

About 500 people got in.

By whatsgoinon on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

damn...i dont think i have that big of a chance then...
can you guys show me the source of that info?

By sauce on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:04 am: Edit

http://admissions.berkeley.edu/pdf/bearfacts524.pdf

Read the article titled "The Augmented Review Process For Freshman Applicants."

By flounder on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:32 am: Edit

Whatsgoinon, don't be discouraged by that number. This is a great chance to sell yourself. You have this chance to have refs rave about you and you get to tell Berkeley more than most people. You also have this special address to write to and you know stuff going there will go in your file and that a "senior reader" will be looking at it...use this opportunity. Send them stuff. A letter, a write up on you, a resume.

Note that their questions seem to zero in on how things affect you academically. Look at your record and see if something academic needs special explaining, then be sure to address this. Look at a copy of your app. You probably didn't have space to tell them everything you wanted to (esp. if you have lots of EC's and especially if you did it on-line). Use the form to get this additional info across to them.

I have total and complete faith in you.
And me too.

By whatsgoinon on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 04:49 am: Edit

thanks for the confidence and advice flounder. Lets hope we both make it to Berkeley!

By jhv on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:50 am: Edit

do do do

By newb on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

I called the admissions office and asked if this questionnaire was sent to borderline students, and he said no.. He said it was simply just to "find out more information about the applicant." I doubt his answer though. I REALLY believe that this questionnaire is sent to borderline students. Haha, dannggg.. Only 2,000 applicants got the questionnaire! I feel special. ^^ My stats are pretty low for Berkeley.

By flounder on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 12:07 am: Edit

newb, "borderline" maybe could have lots of different meanings. In my case, I think they wanted an explanation for the discrepancy between GPA and test stats...meaning they really did want to find out more about me as an applicant. (SAT I = 1500+, Avg. SATII's 730, GPA (UW): 3.7). Lots of EC's (in depth and with leadership). I was grateful for the opportunity to give them more info about me.

That's why I said above to try and figure what it could be they want explained and then take advantage of the opportunity to tell them all kinds of good stuff about yourself.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page