What is a valedictorian?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: What is a valedictorian?
By Curious on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

I'm really confused here. Are there different definitions for what a Valedictorian is? I was reading a letter from a certain college that said they had 576 of them attending their school. At our school, there were only like 7 out of 400 or something. Does a valedictorian mean something different at a different school?

By weridoo on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

what the hell?!?! 576 valedectorians? thats impossible. valedectorians are ranked number 1 at their school, and seriously, i dunno how you can even have 7! At our school, we have 2 valedetorians, but thats very rare. It's the first time that's happened at our school!

By sauce on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

It depends on the GPA scale that you're talking about and it also depends on your school. Some schools are so easy, there are many valedictorians. My school has 19 valedictorians this year going by weighted GPA but only 1 going by unweighted GPA. It's quite possible to have 576 valedictorians at a college but extremely unlikely to have 576 valedictorians in a high school.

By Curious on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Well we don't have weighted grades at our school. Perhaps thats part of it? The letter was from Boston U, which is a good school, but it's hard to believe that there are 576...

By sauce on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

With 13,270 students accepted last year, we can assume that there are at least 50,000 students who go there. 576 out of 50,000 is still fairly small. And I believe that they are talking about 576 valedictorians who have been accepted to Boston U, not 576 valedictorians in their graduating class.

By Class rank on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Some schools, like mine, had 1 valedictorian. Other have numerous valedictorians. "Valedictorians" just doesn't mean much anymore--what matters is class rank.

By me on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

i think that "sauce" is right. The college has 576 valedictorians in its incoming class

By Jamie on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

I went to college in Twin Falls Idaho. The local high school has had something close to 25 valedictorians each of the past 2 years. I guess it must have been easy to get straight A's, but also the graduating classes were pretty big as well! The validictorians there are all ranked #1 and have a 4.0 u/w G.P.A.

Two of last years graduating class recieved their associates degrees from the local jc at the same time as graduating high school. One was admitted to Harvard, the other to Stanford.

By Dori on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

my HS had 17 valedectorians last year...but only 3 got to actually BE valedectorians (i.e. sit on stage, give speech, etc.) i don't know how they were chosen. the graduating class was around 850 students.

and yes, i know i can't spell....

By Azn_Cowboy (Azn_Cowboy) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 03:52 pm: Edit

At our school, the Valedictorians are the ones with straight A's. However, since we have Weighted GPA's when calculating Class Ranks, some Valedictorians are like in the top 15 %, while others are in the top 1 %.

By Beasley (Beasley) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 05:26 pm: Edit

"sauce" and "me" are both right. Colleges compare stats as to the number of valedictorians in their most recent incoming freshmen class, this is not the valedictorians from the University but relfects a statistic acheived before entrance into the university. On another related note, i believe valedictorian status should be abolished because of the evil it does, to bad outweighs the good. and no beasley is not my real name, i just think it sounds funny.

By Dyip10 (Dyip10) on Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Look in some schools, valedictorian is the #1 student with the highest GPA. In other schools, like mine it's people who have a 4.0+ GPA.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page