How about that Fordham? My grades make the cut?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: How about that Fordham? My grades make the cut?
By Virtuex6 (Virtuex6) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Someone reply please if you have the time :).

Anyway, I live in NYC, my mom makes less that 30k a year so I don't doubt I'll get financial aid.

I screwed up freshmen and sophomore year, but my AVG has gone up significantly, in fact, about 3 points every year.

Freshman : 84
Sophomore : 87
Junior : 91

I think this will help me out? My overall average is about a 86.8 or a 87 about there, so its like a 3.45 GPA?

My SAT's I'm taking them on Saturday, May 1st, in 2 days, I've taken 2 full timed practice tests, one of them I got a 1260, on the second one i got a 1280. Anyway I'm hoping I'll do better on the actual exam.

Anyway, I also participate in school Web Club, which manages the website for my highschool. I also participated in Drama Club. I worked in a day care center as a volunteer for about one year. I have been playing Piano for about 4 years and Guitar for 1 1/2 years at home with private lessons and such. I also went to a Art Design school for about a year.

I'm taking one honors class, yea I know :/, but next year I'm taking 3 AP classes for senior year so I can really get a boost on college, plus it will look better I hope.

I also might try for Boston University, Fordham, NYU(doubt it :/) and Baruch.

Much thanks, - Leon.

By Hollaratme (Hollaratme) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

ur in for fordham

By Virtuex6 (Virtuex6) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Thanks Hollaratme
What about Boston or NYU? Even though NYU is very slim I guess hehe.

I'm also participating in an Aids Walk May 16th as another thing to add to my list.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

If your mom only makes $30 k a year, I strongly suggest that you apply only to colleges promising to meet 100% of your documented financial aid. I don't think that BU does that. I am not sure about the others.

You probably will have your best chance of going to college if you go to a state public university or live at home while going to a NYC university. You also will increase your chances of getting decent aid if you apply to colleges that give generous financial aid and where you also are in the top 1/5 or so of their applicant pool.

The colleges where you barely meet admissions standards might accept you, but they aren't likely to value you enough to offer you a good aid package.

By Stargzrlilychk1 (Stargzrlilychk1) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

yeah def listen to northstarmom,
i had stats similar to yours, and i got in and planned to go to fordham. however, i found out too late that a LOT of their aid is merit based (not all, but a lot). We technically live below poverty line (my single mom is a secretary and makes like 14 k/year), but they only gave us a $5000 LOAN. we haggled with the Aid Director for hours but in the end all he could tell us was that "not everyone can afford to go to college". moral of the story: don't rely to heavily of fordham's fin aid.

By Acennace (Acennace) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 02:40 am: Edit

Add schools in SUNY system (esp. Binghamton & Geneseo) for financial safety...

By Virtuex6 (Virtuex6) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:53 am: Edit

Ok, thanks guys, well we have a lot saved up and plan on taking a loan anyway, so I don't think it will be too much of a problem, but in general I will have a good chance of making into Fordham?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page