Upward Curve vs. Straight A's???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Upward Curve vs. Straight A's???
By Madness (Madness) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

hey ppl, no one replied to my last post :-( so i guess i'm pretty unpopular...sad, considering the amount of time i spend here.

ANYWAY...
my college counselor showed me my transcript and i swear, it was the most depressing thing i've ever seen. i can't speak for freshman year 'cause i transferred to another school between 9th/10th, but here are my sophomore yr. grades:

English: A-
Physics: B
French II: B+
AP European History: B+ (5 on the AP)
Geometry: B
Honors

how boring and embarrassing is that?? arrgh. but here are my 11th grades to date:

English: A+
Chemistry: A-
French III: A+
AP US History: A- (anticipated 5)
Civil War: A
Intro to Religion: A+
Functions: B- (definitely not a math person...)
High Honors
(also taking the AP English Language as a self-study with a bunch of other "recommended students," hopefully it'll be a 5)

freshman yr grades were (i think) mostly B+'s/A-'s, with a B- in Algebra II Honors (68 on the final...oops).

i've definitely challenged myself this year, but in 9th & 10th grades...not so much. how much will that hurt me???

By Madness (Madness) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

bump--come on guys, help me out!!!!

By Battleofny (Battleofny) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

your grades are pretty good tho..depends on what kind of school you are aiming for.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

Part of it depends on your rank in class and if your school is particularly difficult. Does your school rank? If not, do you have any clue as to what decile you belong?

By Madness (Madness) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 07:17 am: Edit

from 6th-9th grades i went to a parochial school in NY, not too difficult but kinda prestigious, and then for 10th grade i switched to a boarding school.

i'm aiming for Dartmouth (dad went there), UPenn, Columbia, Washington & Lee (for academics/location, not politics), William & Mary, Carleton, Swarthmore, Haverford, all upper-tier LAC's.

if anyone could recommend any matches/safeties, that would be great.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:16 am: Edit

hey madness! i'm in the same situation as you. i got straight A's from 6th to 9th grades but i transferred to boarding school for 10th. my grades are A, A-, B+, B+, B, B- (B average over all). ...it was especially depressing for me to see these grades because i was ranked number one in my class last year. i'm not looking into the top tier though. maybe i'll apply to u of chicago but probably won't go if i don't get enough financial aid

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Hi, Madness
interesting comment on W&L - it just went off my son's list because of the politices. Anyway, here are my suggests to look at; I've been to or know people that went to all of them.

Colby
Skidmore
Brandeis
Penn State University Park
Kenyon College
St. Olaf
College of Wooster

Good luck in your search and keep up the good work with your grades!

By Madness (Madness) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

hey gianscolere. UChicago?? I liked that until i found out it would prolly be like boarding school: all work, no play = death.

yeah, boarding schools are frustrating since they dont rank students or even encourage you to take AP's...Ohio Mom: my school doesn't rank or give GPA, but the college counselor's required to tell colleges the top 5 students in every grade (or "form" as we snobbishly call them) and i'm definitely in that group.

By Madness (Madness) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

ooh kenyon, i've heard nothing but good things about that...although it IS in ohio :-/

my aunt & uncle went to colby, but i'm not the outdoorsey type and especially not the cold weather type.

thanks for the suggestions ohiomom!!!

By Insntynonchalan (Insntynonchalan) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Well there is such a thing as a student "On The Way Up"

For Example: Freshman Year for me:

Physics: D
Rise of the Modern World: C
Latin I: A
Geometry: C
Choir: A (duh)
English: C
PE: A (not that it matters)

Anyway, pretty awful right? I was in a depressing situation with a depressing school, so i switched out of that looking toward boarding school...10th grade: public school

Debate: A
Latin: B
Bio: B
ELP: A
English: B
Math: B
Health: A (duh)
Culinary Arts: A (again, duh)

So there ya have it, similarly bad grades...especially considering the public school factor. But that got me into the private school that I'm in now, which I am very happy at, and it is very very difficult here. THESE grades are awesome (for me)

AP US: B
French I: A
Latin IV: A
Adv. Math: B
Chemistry: A
English: B
Dance: A (no kidding)

with plenty of EC's all along, for no good reason. I never really considered the Ivy leagues. And although I would love to get into Columbia, i know that I don't really ahve a shot at that...But Considering the fact that I can write really well, And if I get A's next year while taking 3 AP's, I really do have a chance at some good schools.

Anyway...Don't worry about your past grades, just keep them up now, and try for the best. I guess that's my "inspirational" message of the day. And happiness REALLY affects GPA.

By _Twinkletoes (_Twinkletoes) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

sorry i'm a new member but what is an LAC?

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

LAC's stands for liberal arts colleges.

By K0w (K0w) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 02:59 am: Edit

wow physics in freshmen year?? too bad u got a D or else that wouldve really shine in ur transcript. usually some colleges notice a upward trend nd like the commitment u show. perfect example is this idiot in my premed class, who had c's nd d's in every class in freshmen year(yes, even pe nd health). then, he started commiting himself nd worked his butt off nd got straight b's nd some a's in soph, nd eventually a's nd a+'s in jr year. somehow, UCLA nd Berkeley accepted him! talk about a happy ending! he never really did ne ec's but i remember he got some really outstanding scores on teh sats nd ap's. so in the end, if u show commitment (which im seein rite now) u should have a good chance at some good schools (excluding ivy's maybe. u never know). hope this helps u!

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

Since you're in the top 5 of your form, also look at Pomona and Claremont-McKenna (in warm areas!).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page