Mediocre Chances for a Mediocre Student?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: April 2004 Archive: Mediocre Chances for a Mediocre Student?
By Simplistic44 (Simplistic44) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

I want to go to University of Illinois - Urbana.

School is not my forte, unfortunately. I am undecided, or 'multi-interested,' if you will. I want to go into pre-law / political science - what are the good undergradute programs around the country?

Other than that, please visit my link, read over my incomplete, scattered resume that will eventually be sent to colleges when I am a senior (currently a junior) - and then make a decision if I can be accepted to my state school, U of I.

Link removed

Have a good day.

By Simplistic44 (Simplistic44) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Hoppity hop-hop.

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

I don't understand how you are "mediocre." A 31 ACT is a great score.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

I hate false modesty, and avoid replying to people who seem to assume that the way to get responses is to falsely suggest that their gpa or scores are weak.

If you honestly think that a 31 ACT and unweighted 3.9 make you a mediocre student, than your lack of strong critical thinking skills may make your admission to U of I-Urbana a stretch. That also would hold if despite your stats, you desperately need pats on the back from strangers to believe that you are more than a mediocre student.

By Simplistic44 (Simplistic44) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I simply say mediocre because this semester I will finish with a C, 3 Bs, and 1 A. Which, in effect, will have a big impact on my GPA. With the community I am surrounded in, namely my high school, I am mediocre when in comparison with my friends.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Then your problem is having a declining grade trend, which is bad news when it comes to college admissions. Junior year grades are applicants' most important grades. Colleges would rather take someone who shows a strong upward trend junior year than to take someone with a higher gpa, but declining grades in junior year.

Unless you have a major reason for the grades' drop, your declining grades will hurt you with all of the colleges on your list including schools that otherwise would be safeties.

By Simplistic44 (Simplistic44) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

I know, that is my problem. Unfortunately, there is no major reason - I can't even blame it on the infamous 'lack of motivation' deal. Why? Because it wasn't that I lacked motivation, it is because the courses I am taking, I simply do not understand, regardless of the time and effort I put into them. Luckily, this week is a break before the APs, so I should focus and do well on those.

If all goes well, however, I may finish with an A in math and foreign languange, but considering that is EXTREMLEY doubtful, more than likely it will be 3 Bs. The potential is there, it is just unlikely I'll be dealt a good hand.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page