Evaluate HYP chances - I am going to die of waiting till Apr

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: What Are My Chances?: February 2003 Archive: Evaluate HYP chances - I am going to die of waiting till Apr
By hyp101 on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:36 am: Edit

Can someone please say whether I stand a chance? I am incredibly anxious...

Foreign student (eastern European), white, male, legacy at Cornell.

Study at top British boarding school (St Pauls); 7 A-Levels; 6 Advanced Extension (similar to Honors, A-Level based) - very, very hard courseload; GPA 4.0 (straight A grades); SATI 1500; SATII 740, 740, 720, 710, 710. Speak 4 languages. School does not rank.

ECs + awards:

top 50 out of 70k+ in the British Maths Olympiad; in the final round (no results yet) participated in international chess; debating tournaments; gold medals; was on my country's junior national chess team; several school varsity teams (chess, tennis, debating, running); founder of 2 clubs at school. Bunch of small things like school academic awards, editor of magazine, member of Mensa etc.

Summer volunteer work in India and Peru; work in web design; several community service jobs.

Excellent recs; rather original personal essays (e.g. story of how I came to like classical music, and what effect it had on me). Interviews went well.

Applied to Harvard EA; deferred (I foolishly did not realize the odds, and did not even fill in most of my ECs - currently cursing myself for that. Resent the whole app with all the information); RD to HYP, Columbia, Cornell

I am incredibly anxious - can someone approximate what my chances are at all these places? Will Harvard reconsider me since I sent in a redone app (with all the above included), new recs, awards, essays, letter of why I want to go to Harvard etc.?

By bumper on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Your chances do not look good... the SATs are very poor... maybe Cornell because of the legacy, but definitely not the rest...

By agentd on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Ouch, your SATs are good, but might not be good enough for HYP.

Jesus, top 50 in math olympiad? How good are you? I'm a grade ahead in math and I used to think I was hot •••• until I saw some kids smarter than me.

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

"varsity chess, tennis, debate, running" WTF, i'm sorry but chess, tennis, and debate r not sports, they'r clubs, thats such horseshit that ur school gives varsity for that...but running i can respect, its crazy painful!

do u do sprints or long distance?

By adfal;kdj on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

what does HYP stand for?

By tennislover on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

tennis is a sport, what are you on?

By Dori on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

what's HYP ?

By HYP on Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Harvard,Yale and Priceton.

By hyp101 on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 05:40 am: Edit

Hopeful: are you making a generalization about schools worldwide? Chess is definitely a sport, and our school has a team. Tennis is definitely a sport as well. Debating cannot really be called a sport, but we have a team and compete with other schools. I run long distance.

By Hopeful (Hopeful) on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

oh, wow, i didnt mean to say tennis isn't a sport, 'cause it most def is,it was a typo...i dont kno about chess tho, sports r physical challenging activities,and to me chess isnt physicaly challenging.

anyways, about running, i run long distance too...what r ur times for 5000, 1600 or 1500 depending on what u guys run, and 3200

By H07_Hopeful (H07_Hopeful) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 06:53 am: Edit

Hmm, your stats are very similar to mine... can someone else please offer some more input? I am DYING of anxiety... If you have low chances, then I probably have none at all

By Congocross (Congocross) on Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Yale - Shaky
Princeton - Shaky
Columbia - umm...probably
Cornell - In
Harvard - Rejection, Harvard df A LOT of students with better stats

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page